Brave Brothers & Starship

[DISCONTINUED] Boyfriend Coffee House

 

Time flies quickly for Boyfriend and it’s not only Junmei who felt happy again that they return back to work at the Boyfriend Coffee House; Bestfriends would be of cause! Everyone was happy except for one – Youngmin who got punished doing dishes every lunch hour and dinner time for ruining Junmei’s work.

“I hate this,” spoke Youngmin cleaning yet another dish.

“Stop saying that for the nth time now,” said Kwangmin putting another load of dirty dishes on the counter beside the counter.

“Will you stop bringing those in?! When will they ever decrease?” shouted Youngmin at his twin.

“I guess Bestfriends got excited when we returned working at the café again. They keep coming in,” said Kwangmin forcing a smile after getting yelled at.

At the serving area, the other Boyfriend members and Junmei happily enjoyed serving the customers. Jeongmin called Donghyun over at one table who had a few Bestfriends showing something interesting to them.

“What is this?” asked Donghyun to Jeongmin.

“Our fans recorded the twin’s performance the other day. Daebak!” said Jeongmin.

“No way! Daebak,” exclaimed Donghyun happily.

Hyunseong peeked over the two from afar. “Mwoh ya? What is going on over there?”

Then a tall man in a dark coat entered the café approaching Boyfriend. Junmei was at his side as she called them over. “Everyone, manager ssi came.”

“Ah… Annyeong haseyo Manager ssi.” Said the Boyfriend members together. “What brings you here?” asked Donghyun.

At first, the manager slowly smiled at them not saying a word hope to raise their curiosity which they did. “Good news. Brave Brothers decided to help compose new songs for your new album!”

All members including Junmei’s mouths all gasp wide open. Like, ‘Seriously?’ Now? How come???

 

X3

[[Chapter 14 – Brave Brothers & Starship]]

X3

 

Junmei grumbled silently. She would have been happy for the Boyfriend members for this ‘awesome’ news. Definitely, the happiness and the excitement were perfectly shown on their faces. But…

“I don’t get it. Brave Brothers should help working on your album earlier so I don’t have to be burden by the extra load on my shoulders!” she complained.

“Aww… Junmei hyung, don’t get upset about it,” said Jeongmin pinching her cheek lightly. “You’ve don’t an excellent work so far, that even Brave Brothers took notice of,” he said emphasizing the EXCELLENT part.

Junmei pouted couldn’t buy his reasoning.

Manager Jung chuckled at the sight of Boyfriend teasing Junmei behind their comforts. It had been a long time since he had seen the boys so cheerful and lively. It wasn’t only Jeongmin, but he could tell how worked up all of them about the new album and the new songs being put together.

Donghyun came up to him, “Manager ssi, I can’t thank you enough.”

“Don’t thank me, thank Junmei ssi,” said Manager Jung pointing at her.

“I don’t get it. What do you mean?”

“Without Junmei’s composition of your new songs, he took a liking to Boyfriend’s ongoing development and improvement of concept. He had high hopes for your upcoming comeback and writing songs for new album is going to worth a while!” he said.

“Ah jinjja?! It was hard to get our composers back,” said Donghyun grinning.

“Well, that’s what they said to me,” said the manager taking another sip of his cappuccino.

 

“Brave Brothers are apparently in good relations with Starship and they write fantastic songs for our previous albums. They also write songs for other artists such as Teen Top, U Kiss, Electroboyz and not to forget our very own Sistar,” explained Jeongmin to Junmei sounding all high and mighty.

“SISTER? I didn’t know you had a sister,” said Junmei confused.

“SISTAR is not our sister. Their group is called S I S T A R, Sistar and they are our label-mates,” said Minwoo enjoying seeing the naïve Junmei confused.

“Oh… Sistar, I never heard of them,” she said bluntly.

“That figures.” “That’s our Junmei,” said Jeongmin and Minwoo together.

It was true! Junmei even though was getting along with Boyfriend and was on the neutral feeling towards Kpop recently still haven’t opened her eyes 100% to the Kpop world. She had no sense of curiosity, competition but at least she had the heart to acknowledge it. Junmei just shrugged.

To be honest, she was slightly become more curious since she was working with music in their line of industry. Even in the coffee shop, she had to deal with customers of Kpop fanatics and she had to do her own research of their interest of Kpop in order to better understand them and not to cause any more damage to Boyfriend’s image. What kind of damage? Things to do with their private information of their lives which Junmei had access to so she wouldn’t be saying things she shouldn’t have. Something like that.

“Do you hear this song currently playing?” asked Jeongmin dancing to the café’s background music.

“Urm… yea… What about it? I hear this song all the time,” she replied.

“Omo! Has it always being playing here?” asked Minwoo.

Youngmin and Kwangmin came out of the kitchen after finishing the dishes, “Hey, what are you talking about?” asked Youngmin.

“What’s so special about this song?” asked Junmei to the twins.

The twins listen to the café’s song that was currently playing and they both let out and “Ooh” expression.

“This is “Push Push” Sistar’s debut single,” said Kwangmin clarifying things. “We appeared in their MV too,” added Youngmin.

“Really?” asked Junmei lifting a quizzical eyebrow.

“That was a long time ago. Back then, Youngmin wasn’t blonde yet and you won’t be able to distinguish them!” said Minwoo. The twins both smiled at each other reminiscing the time they looked exactly the same. Junmei wouldn’t be surprised.

“Don’t forget, Donghyun hyung also was in that MV,” added Kwangmin.

Donghyun’s attention was caught, “Did someone mentioned me?” he asked.

The five of them just shook their heads in denial. They were too busy to disturb the eldest hyung.

“It seems you and Sistar had a long history back then. That makes them sound special,” commented Junmei.

“Trust me, we’re actually very close,” said Minwoo.

In between leisurely talking waiters at coffee shop, more customers came in. The newly came customers who came in caught the attention of Boyfriend and Hyunseong who was the only one idle by that time was the one who noticed them first. Who couldn’t ignore those famous customers of all time?

“Sistar sunbaenim!” he mentioned and quickly approached them and greeted the four beautiful girls.

“Anneyong haseyo! What brings you hear?” asked Hyunseong being awfully delighted. His chirpiness grabbed everyone’s attention as their turned their heads and looked surprised as well.

“It’s Sistar!” they chorused together. Boyfriend hurdled together greeting them leaving Junmei behind.

“Omo! Can’t we visit our dongsaengs anymore?” asked Hyorin teasing Hyunseong. He could only blushed.

It’s been a while since Boyfriend and Sistar get together for a leisure talk. They showed them the way to their seats in the café; even some of the customers were always awe-ing at the sight of these female idols.

“It’s so nice of you to stop by,” said Donghyun to his sunbaes.

“As soon we heard that you guys are working on your album, we can’t get more excited than that,” said Hyorin leader-like.

“Besides, it’s Brave Brothers who told us they will be gladly helping you with your album concept,” added Soyou.

“You can’t imagine how worked up Bora unni. She was practically begging for us to pay you a visit,” expressed Dasom trying to playfully eldest unni. Bora shot her a glare. “It’s true!”

“Whatever it was, we’re really glad you came after all,” said Donghyun with a big smile.

Soon, Hyunseong came to their service, “Have you made up your mind?”

“Excuse me?” asked Bora.

“Your order,” Hyunseong replied awkwardly seeming Sistar didn’t get the point.

“Oh!” they all chuckled together. Bora smiled at the girls and signalled a certain something. “We heard you hired a new waiter under Starship to assist Boyfriend’s activities. Can we meet him?” asked Hyorin.

Donghyun and Hyunseong exchanged glances.

“We want to see him so badly. Please~” begged Bora cutely.

The two boys sighed. “Hyunseong, call Junmei please.” Hyunseong grunted and called her.

Hearing her named being called, Junmei quickly went into the direction she was called to. Junmei then realized it was Sistar who wanted her to serve them but she wondered why when Donghyun and Hyunseong were already there? She had no choice but to deal with them.

“Annyeong haseyo, I’m Kim Junmei. Is there anything I can help you with?” asked Junmei being polite.

“Oh Kyeowo~” giggled the girls together.

Junmei took that as a simple compliment. This was actually not the first time being praised by the customers so she never took Sistar any differently.

“At least they didn’t notice Junmei’s a girl,” whispered Hyunseong to his leader.

“I hope it stay that way,” he replied quietly.

“I heard, you’re the one who composed ‘Find Me Here’ the twin’s new single, didn’t you?” asked Bora.

“I did,” replied Junmei shortly.

“It’s really impressive. I mean, we’ve just seen a gist of it from fan-cams and whatnot on video streams online but we can tell it was a really good song,” said Soyou very directly.

“Kamsamnida.”

“What gave you the inspiration?” asked Hyorin.

“Hm… It’s hard to say. I just need to think of the twins, that’s all,” said Junmei putting a finger under her chin. The girls with Donghyun and Hyunseong were caught listening very attentively to her. “Because when it comes to creating a song, the best song for a singer to sing is the kind of song that tells the heart of the singer.”

“So you are saying the song you gave the twins is something that they can relate to themselves? You must have been spending a lot of time with them then,” said Hyorin.

The girls awed showing more interest than before.

“Then you must be very close with the twins. I’m so jealous,” said Bora.

“Huh?” said Donghyun, Hyunseong and Junmei in surprised.

“I’m just kidding,” she laughed.

“Why did she say that? She doesn’t know I’m a girl right?” thought Junmei. It was tough enough keeping the secret about her gender from Boyfriend and now when Sistar suddenly have interest in her, she has to be cautious around them too. She hoped that no more label-mates of Boyfriend came to their café that day.

“Junmei hyung!” called Jeongmin. Without her consent, Jeongmin quickly dragged her by the arm, downstairs back on the ground floor of the café to another customer leaving Sistar back within Donghyun and Hyunseong’s hands.

At first, maybe she could sense she was relieved not having to serve Sistar when she’s already nervous giving special service to a group of female idols; always have to be careful with her words and stuff, now she was at a table with a male customer without a partner. She looked at Jeongmin.

“Jeongmin ah, who is this person? Our café regulations say only customers with partners can only be served here,” she said being a bit disappointed.

“But hyung! Let me explain,” said Jeongmin but before he could continue the customer cut it…

“Jeongmin goon, gwenchana yo! This fella’ is a very interesting one for sure. Just like you said,” said the male customer. Judging by the tone of his voice and built up features he had, Junmei can tell, he was more than a sunbae or hyung to either one of them; he’s older than that so Junmei felt that she needed to respect and address him more formally. When he shown his face, he had a smile that was almost captivating which made Junmei’s mouth slightly parted –dazed for no reason.

“Annyeong haseyo, I’m K.Will… Nice to meet you.”

 

X3

 

X3

 

It was break time, where no customers came at that hour so the Boyfriend Coffee House crew would take a break and rest up for the second shift to start. They gathered and ate their lunch together. Usually it’d be a normal routine for Junmei to take breaks in her work and all but this time they had Sistar and K.Will with them which made break time a little more entertaining – for Boyfriend at least. Junmei felt so lost in their conversation. When it started by simply talking about Boyfriend’s new concept for their album, it quickly turned around when they talked about comeback stages and how Starship is arranging K.Will’s and Sistar’s albums within the whole process. Junmei swear this was the first time meeting them but somehow, Boyfriend’s label-mates acts so interested in her that they even know half of what she does.

“Don’t be surprised, we already know you’re working for us as well as we read a special article about you,” said Dasom trying to relieve Junmei’s worried face. It was showing very obviously.

“I think Junmei is really used to being all well-known and stuff,” said Hyunseong.

“You got a point there,” said Bora. “He’s just like everyone else.”

Junmei bit her lip, “Like everyone else? What does that mean?” she talked under her breath while nipping on the spoon of her cup of ice-cream.

“Are you a fan?” asked Bora directly to Junmei.

This caught Junmei’s attention again, “Fan…? Me?”

Bora smiled, “Since you’re a guy, I’m sure you listen to many girl-groups before so what kind of groups you get into? Tell me you’re a Star1 pretty please~”

“Me? Girl-groups?”

“Duh, you’re a guy,” said Jeongmin elbowing her. Donghyun and the rest glared at Jeongmin but Jeongmin ignored them all and continued eating.

“Mian, Junmei ssi doesn’t actually play nicely with Kpop,” explained Donghyun in her stead.

“What do you mean?” asked Hyorin not understanding.

“I don’t listen to much Kpop, sorry,” she said politely not trying to sound insulting. But it still saddens them all.

All in all, what Junmei said earned a big laugh from K.Will. “You ARE really interesting. You don’t like Kpop and yet you can create such good music. I even hear you can sing and dance; to me what you say is so irrelevant. Don’t lie kid, it’s in your blood.”

“Whatever ajjussi,” said Junmei.

“Mwoh?” K.Will and Boyfriend said in harmony.

“Can you repeat that Junmei?” asked Donghyun.

“Ajjussi. K.Will sounds like an ajjussi to me,” said Junmei with a straight innocent tone.

K.Will could feel a sharp disappointment being called ajjussi by a kid half his age. He was starting to like the kid with all the stories heard about him plus Junmei was really cute in person from his point of view. In addition, he never failed to impress him because he was unlike other people he had met in the music industry.

“Call me whatever you want, but can I ask you something?” asked K.Will.

“What is it hyung?” asked Donghyun.

“Now that Brave Brothers is taking care of Boyfriend’s new album, what do you think about that?”

Junmei lift her shoulders not giving a thought, “It’s OK I guess. They have to do it. It’s their job.”

“But it also means, you don’t have to create anymore songs for the rest of Boyfriend. Let’s see, the twin’s single is done, Boyfriend’s title track is done both by you. That leaves the rest of the vocal line: Donghyun, Jeongmin and Hyunseong’s songs.”

“Wait a minute,” Hyunseong intrudes. “I was told that my single will be worked by Junmei so Brave Brother’s don’t have to do it.”

Junmei glared a little at the brickhead for stating that aloud.

“Is it finished?” asked K.Will.

They all looked at Junmei.

“Well, it’s half-finished. I’ve been so busy working on the song as well at the café so it took longer than it should have,” said Junmei in a matter of fact.

“Then it’s OK. Brave Brothers will take care of it. You don’t have to overwork yourself anymore,” said K.Will.

All said is done, there was a moment of silence amongst all of them. Was that a news to be celebrated since Junmei’s overload work is now taken care of someone else or was is something to be pounder upon since her work was being replaced by someone else all very suddenly?

Minwoo being considerate caught up with the atmosphere. “But still… A lot of effort has been put into making the album’s concept was by Junmei hyung. I think he’s still worthy if he could finish was he has started.”

“Yea, besides… I can’t actually wait for Hyunseong hyung’s first single by Junmei,” said Kwangmin. “Even the song made for us had positive responses from many people,” added Youngmin.

Somehow, Junmei was very happy when the maknaes treated her music that way. It meant that her work was appreciated and somehow they shown some concern for her.

“But still, Brave Brothers have signed a contract they will take over the album’s project for Boyfriend so Junmei can stop,” said K.Will.

“But Junmei signed the contract first. He is more worthy to continue composing songs for our next album,” said Donghyun.

Eventhough Boyfriend was showing how disappointed to hear how Junmei’s efforts were being cut off; they saw the concerned faces of their sunbaes as well.

“Then what can we do? It’s not like we Idols have a second say who’s directing our albums,” said Soyou to her leader.

“Manager Jung ssi, ottoke yo?” she asked to Boyfriend’s manager who sat quietly away from the Idol’s conversation all this time.

“Well…” he started to doubt. “I’m not even sure what has been signed by Brave Brothers and Starship, I wasn’t there.”

“But you were there when Junmei signed the contract. And withness what I bare contract with Junmei as well right?” asked Hyunseong as he bold stood up.

“What I say, under contract – Junmei’s in under my supervision. I’d say he’s going to finish what he’s signed up to do for our album. That includes my part of the tracklist,” said Hyunseong.

“But Hyunseong… K.Will ajjussi already said…”

“She’s still calling me ajjussi,” face-palmed K.Will hiding the embarrassment.

Junmei stopped fumbling with her words as soon Hyunseong shot a glare at her saying that she has to obey him. “You haven’t forgotten why you are here, haven’t you? You’re under my control in our contract.”

Junmei gave up. She hasn’t forgotten.

“What do you think when Brave Brothers hears about this?” asked Hyorin

“They are professionals, they have so much pride with their work,” said Bora.

“Yea, just let them take over… I don’t mind.”

“NO!!!” said Boyfriend together objecting.

Junmei felt as if she had committed a crime to go against Boyfriend herself. Whose side was she on now?

As much she felt half hearted; whether or not she must continue composing for Boyfriend’s new album or just leave the rest up to the professionals she doesn’t feel like arguing with Boyfriend – it would be the last of what she wanted to do. Especially when it comes to arguing with Hyunseong – somewhat very demanding and overpowering upon her which he likes to make her feel intimidated.

“So what’s a big plan?” asked Hyorin.

“Next week is R-Day,” started Hyunseong.

“Oh!! We almost have forgotten about R-day. We’ll sure to win the rank this week,” said Youngmin. “It’s because of our new song we’ve been gaining so much attention.”

“I plan on winning the rank this week,” said Hyunseong.

Everyone was surprised even Sistar and K.Will who understood half of what he said but Hyunseong was very serious.

“I know… I know… I never even came near to first winning the rank; I’m the all-time least popular member in Boyfriend, doesn’t that make sense to any of you? If I win Boyfriend’s rank with Junmei’s song, I’m sure Brave Brother’s have to let Junmei continue composing my song.”

Now it all made sense to them. Donghyun approves of this as well.

“Great idea. Junmei are you ready?” he asked.

“But, I work full-time here. It’s hardly possible for me to get the song ready in time,” said Junmei very worrisome.

“Then take the week off,” said Hyunseong.

“B –but!”

“I SAID, take the week off. Finish what you have started. Don’t be a sloppy composer, it’s embarrassing to our image,” said Hyunseong.

Junmei bit her lip. “Arasso,” she simply said compelling.

 

X3

 

X3

 

After thoroughly discussing the big success plan; Sistar and K.Will agreed to help Boyfriend with their Rank Day by gathering fans and getting Brave Brothers to watch everything. Each Boyfriend member will have to come up with a special performance of their own with Hyunseong already confirming he’s singing a song made by Junmei. If Hyunseong successfully gains the highest rank amongst their fans, Brave Brothers have to agree that Junmei will still be in charge of Boyfriend’s new concept.

“Bora unni, don’t you think Hyunseong is acting a little bit too harsh on Junmei ssi?” asked Dasom.

“Well from what I heard, Hyunseong has been giving everyone a hard time but yea, seeing how it is it’s kind of scary,” said Bora.

“You and Hyunseong were really close back then, don’t you have any way of changing him?” asked Hyorin.

That was a hard question for Bora to answer. Even back before Boyfriend’s dark past of and incident, Hyunseong’s bright personality did cheer up everyone in Sistar and he had been the closest with Bora but she won’t admit they were that close.

“Why bother changing him?” interrupted K.Will. “What has been done has been done. We can’t change that. We all do miss the pure and innocent main vocalist of Boyfriend but trying to change him back won’t do anything good either. It’s all new to us and to them. Hyunseong just needs developing.”

“Ajjussi, I don’t get it,” said Soyou teasingly.

“Stop calling me Ajjussi!” said K.Will and the girls just giggled. “What’s I’m trying to say is, change is good. A little problematic attitude within Hyunseong would do him good because people will show him more concern than ever. Slowly, he has to recognize this eventually that he has other potentials as well and maybe he would improve the potentials he already has. Just like just now, he’s charismatic: Everyone seems to listens to him.”

Sistar nodded agreeing with what K.Will said.

“Wah~ truly wise words from a sunbae,” said Hyorin.

“We have one wise ajjussi right here,” said Bora.

“Again with Ajjussi! What’s with you girls?” asked K.Will.

They all laughed.

“It’s just that, that boy made it sound so humorous to let it go. Ajjussi… K.Will ajjussi, he said,” emphasized Bora as the all laughed together. It has been the nth time K.Will hung his head hiding his embraased face for the day.

“Junmei ssi is really interesting,”thought Bora to herself.

 

Back at the Coffee Shop, after closing time…

“Then take the week off,” said Hyunseong.

“B –but!”

“I SAID, take the week off. Finish what you have started. Don’t be a sloppy composer, it’s embarrassing to our image,” said Hyunseong.

Junmei tapped the wooden table by herself, thinking… The shop has closed hours ago but Junmei still haven’t left when the Boyfriend members finished cleaning and went home picked up by their van. It’s not like she was working tomorrow, what’s the rush for her?

“…it’s embarrassing to our image.”

Junmei slammed her fists and knocked herself out onto the table hiding her anger face down. “Why must he say that? He doesn’t have to say that…”

Time after time, she still hasn’t figured a way to not make Hyunseong disappointed with her. Until when can she be free of the contract? To be honest, she last thought of the holder of her contract when it was first mentioned on the first day of her announcement in front of the Coffee Shop but it all became clear again today. “Yes, I still work here because of him. Me and that stupid brickhead bastard. Stupid contract.”

It’s still a long way to go until she can give up the Kpop lifestyle.

Kim Junmei… is still not finished business with Hyunseong.

 

 

To be continued…. Ppyong!