When Accidents Happen

[DISCONTINUED] Boyfriend Coffee House

Hyunseong was tired. He asked Jeongmin to exchange places with him to wait tables while he take over his job at the counter. He had to admit that he was still a bit too awkward around the customers who were mostly Boyfriend’s fans as well. Judging from their reactions around Hyunseong, he still felt too cocky from last night’s performances when he finally had the courage to confront the audience –maybe it was just a mere coincidence people can accept him back so easily. It takes time, he thought. He sighed deeply; zooming out into the air.

The memory of 3 months came into his vision.

Running footsteps, breaking the crowd apart to escape the hindrance – it wasn’t really a hindrance but rather, too much of a hopeless fan. Why he took the choice to avoid?

“Hyunseong oppa~ I like you a lot…” those words linger in his mind like a bell. Her sweet honey voice, the fragrance of her perfume when she first held him in her arms for loving him too much – he couldn’t help her. He couldn’t love her. She was only a fan to him.

But it scared him that, he couldn’t save her.

The screeching noise of a car crashing alarmed him. He was close to death when ‘she’, took the blow for him causing her to lose a lot of blood. Why?! Why her???

After the accident, the News came out reporting a fan saved Hyunseong from almost death. Many praises for the brave young girl for her actions and apologetic messages from the company to ‘her’ family who’s now taking care of ‘her’ in the hospital. Nothing was the same for those who truly knew what happened – to Hyunseong and Boyfriend at least. No one else.

The bell rang – rang so noisily.

“Earth to Hyunseong! Are you awake or not? The customers are waiting for their bill you big lump of bricks,” said Junmei fussing around the counter. It was her first week on the job.

“Lump of bricks? Who –me?” he asked.

“You look like a statue from afar. You are bricks,” said Junmei sarcastically.

Hyunseong push the counters buttons to print the customers’ bill roughly and gave it to Junmei unwillingly sending an annoyed look her way. “Work slave.”

HAH?! Pfft! Junmei scoffed at him taking the bill to the customer.

Hyunseong watched Junmei doing her work. It has been a week now she has dedicated her time after school and on weekends to work for Boyfriend. Junmei and Hyunseong weren’t the good of friends; was never on friendly terms unlike the rest of Boyfriend who were treating her nicely. Junmei said it was an accident she had met him; scolded him.

Hyunseong thought, Some things happen for a reason –people call it fate. Others by accident. If our meeting was an accident, what will our separation mean if nothing was meant with reason?

X3

[[Chapter 3 – When Accidents Happen]]

X3

The shop was closing, the Boyfriend members were cleaning the shop – sweeping, mopping and cleaning the dishware when Minwoo disturbs the serious mood. He was bringing a big black board which seemed to be filled with shiny sticky stars in columns of six. Each column had each Boyfriend’s members’ photos and names arranged accordingly.

“Isn’t it time for ‘that’ again?!” said Minwoo excitingly.

“What’s ‘that’?” asked Junmei resting her chin on a mop.

Jeongmin came forward and explained, “It’s the Boyfriend rank. It is a rank created by the manager actually to see which member is most favoured by the customers.”

“Oohh.” There’s such a thing these idols do too. Awkward!

“Every two weeks, we will renew the Boyfriend board and start anew to decide who the new biased member of Boyfriend is. Interesting isn’t it?” giggled Donghyun.

“You guys actually have fun doing this?” asked Junmei. Without any evil intentions.

Boyfriend turned and looked at natural rookie Junmei. The only person approved by Starship Entertainment infiltrated Boyfriend’s personal entertainment lives as K-pop idols. They gave her a disapproving look towards her comment.

“What? Did I say something?” asked Junmei as she noticed Boyfriend was looking at her.

“Ani –aniya,” said Boyfriend synchronise.

“Ah! Have you known about this from your girlfriends Junmei?” asked Jeongmin. “About who wins the ranks among us Boyfriend. You must have right? We are quite famous in this area anyway.”

Junmei flinched when Jeongmin took her arm into his. “Uhh… I guess so. But I didn’t hear about any rank.”

“Wae ~?” asked Minwoo pouting.

“I wasn’t interested,” she murmured under her breath.

“Anyway, it has been five fortnights since we started this ranking stuff, hasn’t it?” said Kwaingmin reminding the rest.

“The first to win the rank was no other than Minwoo. It was expected,” said Youngmin. Minwoo blushed and giggled a little – as the cute maknae, he was proud of himself.

“Boring…!” said Kwangmin.

Minwoo was shocked. “Don’t think so highly of yourself Kwangmin ah! Just because you won last fortnight.”

“I did, didn’t I?” said Kwangmin doing a proud gesture showing off his manliness to Minwoo who was burning up in jealously.

“I will take my title back!”

They were running and chasing in the shop – Kwangmin and Minwoo. The other Boyfriend members laughed at their maknaes childishness.

“So Kwangmin won the rank last week?” asked Junmei.

“Yup! I won the week before Kwangmin’s victory,” said Jeongmin showing thumbs up.

Donghyun interrupted, “I almost came into second everytime. I hope I can win this time.”

“Hyung has charisma but no luck. That’s why,” said Jeongmin.

Junmei and Jeongmin laughed when Donghyun got mad; pulling as punch back but Jeongmin quickly hides behind Junmei as a shield but Donghyun couldn’t hit Jeongmin after all. Instead, he patted Junmei’s head.

“Ah! Hyung, you are too nice to Junmei. Wae?” asked Jeongmin.

“I just feel like it,” replied Donghyun.

Youngmin smiled, “He’ is kinda’ cute for a boy.”

“Not Youngmin too,” said Jeongmin.

“You’re the one who’s been clinging onto Junmei ah for a while now,” said Donghyun. “Don’t you have a say in this too, Jeongmin ah?”

Junmei couldn’t agree more. These people may say seem all too nice and friendly to her, but she couldn’t show how she hated them too much and look irritated about being surrounded by K-pop idols to offend them since she has agreed to work on good terms with Boyfriend until her contract ends. It goes all well with the Boyfriend group but the only person she wasn’t getting along with was Hyunseong who actually holds the power of her contract – whether she can leave or not.

“It’s disgusting you guys to be amusingly attached to that guy, “said Hyunseong from the window shield. He wasn’t paying any attention to ranking from the start. He didn’t even show any interest in their conversation at all. Plus, he was mocking her again.

“Excuse me for being such a disgusting guy Hyunseong-shii but I noticed one thing though,” said Junmei in a tune that intrigues his attention to her and the other members, “Think before judging, I’m not the one who’s been ranked last in line.”

Everyone looks back at the Boyfriend board where there are only a few stars stacked in Hyunseong’s column and that made everyone wondered.

“Now that you mentioned it, Hyunseong hyung hasn’t ranked anywhere close to first, he was always ranked at the bottom right hyung?” asked Minwoo to Donghyun.

Donghyun could only nod.

“You’re amazing Hyunseong hyung! I never noticed that before,” said Kwangmin taking a look into the Boyfriend hurdle in front of the board.

“Junmei-shii’s right. How can that be?” asked Youngmin excuisively.

Hyunseong stomped his way through s and took the board away from them. “There’s nothing to see or say about my rank! Nothing I tell you.” He hides the board behind him as if the board was small enough to be hidden.

“Hyunseong ah~ Sorry to break it to you, you do kinda’ when it comes to winning the rank,” commented Donghyun.

“What’s so important by winning the rank anyway?” asked Junmei.

“Listen closely, when a member wins a rank the person can order any special desert to be added to the menu besides yourself having one for free,” said Minwoo.

“Since you win a lot, you must enjoyed those treats, don’t you Minwoo?” said Junmei.

Minwoo did a expression, feeling happy thinking about it. “Of cause I did.” HEHE.

“Don’t forget the best part Minwoo ah~” said Youngmin continuing from his sentence. “The winning member gets a chance to return home for two days.”

“Oh… Eh?” Wait, does that mean: This also a competition made by the manager to give them a break from their schedule? They have to compete to get a visit to their homes; their families? They must have families they miss. Even K-pop Idols have things they are restricted to, huh? Junmei looked at Hyunseong’s sad expression. She knew, he was having a hard time to; especially when she had said something she shouldn’t have.

X3

 

X3

The next day was another busy day; since it was Saturday!

“I’m Your Boyfriend! Anneyeong haseo, Boyfriend immida~” welcomed Boyfriend to the earliest birds of the Boyfriend Coffee House. The fans crowded in the coffee shop in an instant and it meant lots of work for Junmei.

“Welcome to Boyfriend Coffee Shop!” welcomed Junmei in her own ‘manly’ way. She gave a smile to the customers and certainly brought quite a few girls wavering feelings over her; though she doesn’t notice she was doing anything special to them.

“Today is a Saturday and it’s R-day for Ranking day; so the café is opened up to almost everyone. The restriction doesn’t apply to this one particular day,” said Youngmin to Junmei.

“No wonder they didn’t come as couples. I was getting worried if I did a mistake,” said Junmei.

“Junmei hyung!” called Minwoo from behind the counter. Junmei went to him.

“What is it Minwoo? What are you doing over here? It’s a busy house today, we should be waiting more tables,” said Junmei worryingly.

“Don’t worry about that. I want your personally opinion about something,” Minwoo focused at Junmei’s facial expression waiting for an approval. “I’ve been practicing my aegyos for the fans so that I can win the rank this week. Please tell me what you think, OK?”

Minwoo gave his personal best aegyo and shot it at Junmei. It was her first time ever to have a boy his age to show her aegyos. She didn’t imagine possible boys his age will still practice them unlike little kindergartens will do. But surprisingly –

To Minwoo’s surprise, “Junmei hyung, wae? Why are you blushing that way?”

Startled for a moment, Junmei’s cheeks were heating up –embarrassed. “Aniya! Who’s blushing?” She rubbed her face hard to make the redness disappear.

“You’re one strange hyung. I guess it works then! Kamsahamnida,” said Minwoo taking his leave. He still couldn’t believe Junmei could fall for his aegyo, unless…

 

The group of customers of 4 girls clapped and squealed excitingly as the Jo twins put on a show to entertain their requests.

“Be sure to vote for us on our Boyfriend board, OK?” asked the twins.

“Of cause we will!” “Youngmin and Kwangmin are both very handsome and talented.” “We like you two the best!” commented the customers.

“Kamsamnida,” said Youngmin bowing to his customers feeling honoured.

Kwangmin on the other hand, “You like us both? Who do you like best?” he asked.

“Both of you,” answered the customer.

“Exactly, but why? Because we’re twins?” asked Kwangmin.

“Oppa ~ Both of you we love so much. There’s no way we can choose among the two of you.”

Kwangmin hung his head slightly. That’s the kind of response he and his twin brother always get from asking that question. He was never ever satisfied with any of the customers’ answers. Youngmin tapped his should and shook his head slightly to tell him to let it go. He was on the other hand was ready with this kind of love from his fans, but Kwangmin had a mind of his own. Always being favoured for being a twin for your own twin was all they were to everyone.

“Kwangmin ah~ Gwenchana?” asked Junmei who just finished sending some drinks.

Kwangmin sighed and looked into thin air. He wasn’t sure of himself but had the heart to talk anyway, “Do you think, I am any different from Youngmin?”

“You two are very different.”

“Even the fans know ~” said Jeongmin out of the blue as he passed through them with another serving.

“What is bothering you?” asked Junmei.

“I’m tired being treated as equally with Youngmin by the fans. I wanted to be different.”

“Is that how you see it? You’re wrong Kwangmin. You already are different from your brother. Being his twin is just another part from who you are and the customers still love you for that. Don’t be bothered by something as silly as that,” said Junmei. “Relax and enjoy yourself.”

Junmei gave his a big thud from behind as an encouragement. Kwangmin was surprised. Did he really received a positive advice from Junmei; his new hyung? And how did that enormously encourage him and made him smile without a reason? Was it because Junmei was being nice – they have been on really good terms lately. He treated everyone kindly; Hyunseong was an exception.

“Ani… That doesn’t seem right,” said Kwangmin to himself. He saw how Junmei was also good with the customers when he accepted the customer’s request to take a photo with them. Youngmin was the photographer.

1… 2… 3… click! The photo turned out nicely.

Youngmin was satisfied. He liked taking photos especially with his fans. When he saw how cool Junmei was with the customers, he wasn’t distracted at all even though Junmei wasn’t apart of Boyfriend; an Idol. He was naturally cool!

Youngmin shook his head, disapprovingly. “Aniya –why do I look at Junmei differently now? He isn’t that cool, is he?”

“Youngmin ah! The camera…” said Junmei.

“Mianhe,” said Youngmin returning the camera to its owner and walked away to hide his frustrations.

Why is everyone being strange today? Wondered Junmei to herself.

Jeongmin ran into the shop looking for Junmei, “Junmei! Junmei hyung!” he called with a big grin. “Guess what?” He whispered something in Junmei’s ear.

“Bwoh?!”

Junmei and Jeongmin hurried to the front of the shop where Donghyun was doing some changes to the Boyfriend board. Junmei gave him a sceptical look.

“What are you doing? Are you for real?” asked Junmei half shouting.

Donghyun looked up to see Junmei’s frowning face still looked happy. “Are you happy? The customers decided –“

Ahem! –that came from Jeongmin.

“OK, I’ve decided that you may officially be a part of our Boyfriend board for the voting!” said Donghyun showing the board.

Junmei observed the board which was added another column for Junmei with white borders. That means, if customers wanted to vote for her, she will receive silver stars.

“But I’m not a part of Boyfriend!” she objects.

“Ani… you are a part of this coffee café. You have the right to participate.”

Hyunseong finally appeared. “Congratulations to the newbie - just another competitor with no basic talents. I guess you have to rely desperately on your sense of luck.”

“Shut up Hyunseong,” said Junmei.

“Hyung!!! A little help here,” called Minwoo in desperate times.

“Stop fighting both of you. This is something I’ve decided. Go wait tables together if you must,” ordered Donghyun pushing both Junmei and Hyunseong in the café.

Both pulled a straight face.

X3

 

X3

Hyunseong was being professional. Even though he was nervous dealing with his fans but as a waiter, he entertained his customers’ requests fairly. Secretly enjoying himself. It was a lot different from performing so it took his mind of his identity as a K-pop Idol. “Is that all you ordered?”

“Yes oppa ~” smiled the customer.

Junmei was at his side, an order by Donghyun. “I will repeat your order…”

The customer got a little irritated since she was eying on Junmei for some time. “Yah! I don’t need to hear it. It’s all been settled.”

Junmei sighed. Some customers were kind but some were just plain rude when it comes to Boyfriend business such as these. She knew why the customers dislike her, “Excuse me.” She took her leave.

Hyunseong sight tailed her. Automatically following her.

“Yah, you don’t need to follow me everywhere just because Donghyun says so,” said Hyunseong.

Junmei took the empty glasses and dirty dishes left by the customers. “Donghyun hyung told me to do so because he wanted us to get along. Besides, with us getting along, won’t that decrease the rumours?”

“Well, yea… You don’t need to push yourself.”

“The sooner the rumours are gone, the sooner I can leave this place, can’t I? I need to do my best at work. I’m not planning on staying her for long,” said Junmei very seriously.

Hyunseong understood Junmei. But he felt guilty. “But, I don’t you to be nice to me if you don’ want to.”

Junmei surprised by Hyunseong’s statement paused. She was trying to digest the meaning in his words. Why did he stop talking? By the look on Hyunseong’s expression, she knew he had more to say. But he only turned around to walk away.

“Hyunseong, wait a sec –,” Junmei tried catching up to him but the tray slipped through her hand causing her to lose balance.

Hyunseong turned around shocked. The tray crashed on the ground along with the plates and cups. Donghyun was behind her, caught her from falling down onto the floor.

“Gwenchana Junmei?” asked Donghyun.

“I’m fine, thank you,” she replied; regaining her balance again.

“What a mess,” said Donghyun. Junmei crouched down to pick up the pieces of broken glass.

“I got it,” said Hyunseong.

“It’s my fault. Let me do it,” said Junmei.

“You don’t need to do anything! Stay still,” growled Hyunseong.

Junmei was suddenly scared by Hyunseong. He wasn’t mad, but somewhat warned her. There was an overprotecting tone in his voice that made her obeyed what he said. Junmei went into the kitchen to hide her embarrassment. She hit the sink frustrated with herself, not understanding why.

“Junmei hyung… Gwenchana?” asked Jeongmin who entered the kitchen.

“Jeongmin ah~ Mianhe, I must have scared you,” said Junmei wiping her almost tears.

Jeongmin shook his head. “No, I understand. It’s not your fault. We all do mistakes. When this café first opened, we, Boyfriend did a lot of mistakes too. So we learn.”

Junmei smiled. She noticed how well Jeongmin knows how to encourage someone. “Thanks Jeongmin.”

Jeongmin liked the way Junmei thanked him but quickly change reaction. “Omo! How’s your hands. Did you get hurt anywhere? You scratched your hands?” he held Junmei’s right hand checking for bruises.

Junmei was surprised and quickly reassured she wasn’t hurt. “No, I’m not. Don’t worry Jeongmin, I’m not hurt anywhere.”

Jeongmin paused when he noticed something. Junmei’s hand felt like electricity to him. It hit him for a while but he wants to deny it so badly. “Junmei ah~”

“Hmm?”

Jeongmin thought deeply and looked at Junmei’s innocent expression. He was friendly with everyone and he liked working with Junmei a lot since he first joined the crew but…

“Yours hands are really soft.”

Junmei took her hand away. “Ah ha ha ha~ It must be from all the dish washing.” Junmei laughed nervously. “But seriously, I’m fine, see? C’mon Jeongmin ah, let’s get back to work shall we.

Jeongmin was worried. Even his conscious was half clear.

 

The day ended at the café and the Boyfriend members were getting ready to close the shop.

“Good job everyone. Good job Junmei,” said Donghyun.

“Kamsamnida,” said Junmei.

“Tomorrow is the results of our Boyfriend board. Who will rank the highest this week? What do you think Kwangmin ah?” asked Minwoo slyly.

“We’ll see Minwoo goon,” replied Kwangmin.

Everyone had a rough day. But Junmei thought today she saw something much more from every one of the Boyfriend members today. Maybe it was because it was R-day? Everyone is doing their best. She thought with a smile.

Boyfriend has already exited the shop except Junmei.

“Junmei hyung, hurry up! We’re closing the shop,” called Donghyun.

“I’ll be right there, something’s not right with the board.”

Secretly, Junmei went to the board for one last look. Each member has their own colour stars and adding Junmei to the rank who was the only one with the colour white. Hot red stars for Donghyun, baby blue for Minwoo. Bright yellow for Youngmin, cool purple for Kwangmin. Lime green for Jeongmin and warm orange for Hyunseong. Everyone has their own unique colours. Lastly, she noticed: A single star has been added to her column which enlightens Junmei very much. Where on Earth did you came from little star? Who stick you there? J

Junmei took a coloured star from the box and stick it on the column she liked best leaving a single vote for someone she thought deserved it from her best today.

I owe him one… That brickhead.

 

To be continued… Ppyong!

*Sorry for the awfully long chapter. Bear with me. (T^T)