I'm Sorry, I Knew

[DISCONTINUED] Boyfriend Coffee House

[A/N: Boyfriend's 3rd Single- I'll be there! Let's celebrate!!! Our Boyfriends are working so hard with building their image to become more and more amazing for all of their Bestfriends. I think their achievements are shooting through the roof and I think they deserve our unconditional support and love so I would like to dedicate this chapter on this special day of their new single appearance. I hope many will read this and subscribe to this fanfic, if possible, to support our beloved Boyfriend. Boyfriend Hwaiting! Boyfriend daebak!]

 

The audience cheered endlessly for Boyfriend’s first performance that night. Hyunseong and the rest were very happy as if they could the stars. It has been a long time they have sung in front of an audience and they felt very satisfied but the night was still young. They still had a few more installed that night; the night where they introduced Junmei as a part of the Boyfriend Café.

Hyunseong went in the shop to wash his hands from the sweat when he heard sobbing sounds coming from inside the café at one of the tables. It was Junmei. He was crying at one of the tables. From Hyunseong’s point of view, he looked like he was really depressed about something; hugging himself with such protection as if he gave up.

"Why Kim Jun Mei? What made you so sad; crying in such a way?” asking as Junmei was in front of him, she was in a distance to hear his inquiry.

Junmei was overflowing in tears and her mind was in a mess. She ruffled her hair and huffed in anguish. “Dammit! I hate him. I hate him! I hate him!!!” she screamed hitting the table with her fist.

Hyunseong was shocked. He now knew her true feelings.

“I don’t want to be here. Anywhere but here!” she said to herself. “Because of this kind of fate, my sister… my family…! Damn! It doesn’t have to do with any of this!” Mother, I’m sorry…

What happened to her sister? To her family? Why must it have anything to do with Boyfriend? We don’t even know him… Questioned Hyunseong to himself.

“I will take care of you omma. Something my sister failed to do. Sorry for being such a failure,” she said clearing the tears on in her eyes. “I will try to be the daughter who you brought me to be.”

“Bwoh? D –daughter?” Hyunseong mumbled under his breath. “Kim Jun Mei, a girl?”

X3

[[Chapter 4 – I’m sorry that I knew]]

X3

It came to the awkward moment when everyone was starting to look suspicious, in doubt and just… awkward. Closing time; all the Boyfriend members were cleaning up the remaining glasses and cups recently washed to dry. The normal route, Boyfriend in a line, Minwoo at the end sighed looked at Kwangmin, when Kwangmin looked at his twin brother Youngmin and he looked at Jeongmin; he looked at Hyunseong and he looked at Donghyun. Donghyun was different looks back at his dongsaes with a sceptical look to why his dongsaes were acting as such.

“Wae?” asked Donghyun to the rest when they glanced on Donghyun’s left where Junmei was arranging the spoons and folks to be put away in the drawer. Donghyun just gave the dongsaes a sly smile, slap slightly on Hyunseong’s face to make him turn his view aside.

“Why me?” asked Hyunseong.

“Because you’re beside me. Get back to work everyone,” ordered Donghyun with a naughty smile.

Donghyun took his leave from the guys and assisted Junmei who was keeping very quiet.

“Are you alright? Is there anything I can help you with?” asked Donghyun.

Junmei distracted looks up at Donghyun as shook her head. “Aniya~ I’ll be done with this soon. Don’t worry about me.”

Donghyun smiled and rubbed her head like an older sibling would do to a younger sibling.

The other members got irritated! How can Donghyun be so casual around ‘HER’?! Yes, Boyfriend has figured it out that Kim Jun Mei may actually be a girl. After R-day which was won by Donghyun by the way; the other Boyfriend members got into a discussion to argue about Junmei’s true identity but no one has ever admitted to themselves that the fact was true.

Junmei turned around to the Boyfriend members and they quickly acted like they were busy cleaning the dishes. Junmei’s eyes searched for Donghyun. Hyunseong was curious to what Junmei was up to.

Junmei talked to Donghyun about something, “Hyung, may I ask you something? Actually, I want to ask permission…”

“Ask permission about what?” asked Donghyun.

“I want to take a leave this Friday,” said Junmei.

“WAE???” asked the other members. They were caught ears dropping.

“It’s none of your business!” said Junmei with hands on hips.

Donghyun giggled a little. “Sure you may take a leave. But this will be reported to the manager. He’ll be notified about this.”

Junmei gave an OK. Everyone watched closely as she smiled. They thought if she smiled, she would look more like a girl in that kind of sense. –She did! (Because they figured she is a girl already.)

 

The workload at Boyfriend Coffee House went on at their daily basis. Everything was back to normal and Boyfriend was working as conscious as every around Junmei. Sometimes they will get a peek on her well-being. Was she doing OK? Was she feeling tired with all the chores? They finally realize that all this while when Junmei was working her hardest, they felt guilty asking her to help them with whatever task they threw at her before.

“Um… Junmei hyung, do you need help with that?” asked Youngmin eying the glasses and plates she was washing in the kitchen.

“Why don’t you go wait some tables? One person doing the dishes in the kitchen is enough Youngmin ah~” said Junmei not looking at him.

“Well… OK,” he said exiting the kitchen to the café. Youngmin failed to help Junmei and hung his head, depressed about it.

Meanwhile, Jeongmin tried offering his help to Junmei everytime she was going out to put out the trash.

“Junmei hyung! Let’s me take that for you,” said Jeongmin stopping her from going out through the back door. HEHE, “It looks heavy. I’ll help…”

Junmei quickly avoid the trash being taken by Jeongmin. “What’s up with you Jeongmin ah? I can do this. Go and clean up inside the café, will you?” She then went to dump box to put the trash away.

“Aigoo~ She’s one tough girl to persuade…” complained Jeongmin.

 

The next day…

Kwagnmin was restless. He knew his job was making coffee and tea aside from waiting tables. He was the only one so dedicated into making the best coffee and tea but he was so into taking orders today. Especially with Junmei at the café who’s fully in control of waiting the tables. Where ever Junmei was, he was there too. To a point, Junmei could not ignore him anymore.

“Kwangmin ah~” she said.

“Junmei hyung, you like waiting tables?” he asked avoiding her eye contact.

“I can take the customers’ orders myself. You can stay at the bar counter and make the drinks. I’ll give the orders to you myself,” she said so seriously.

Kwangmin’s intention was so obvious. “Um… OK.” Kwangmin slowly left Junmei’s side and went back to the counter. He stretched his arms with the counter and looked back upon Junmei. Ah…! That girl, it’s impossible to get near her.

 

Junmei wipe her sweat after moping the whole second floor and the opened rooftop. She was satisfied after all the cleaning. Minwoo suddenly came running onto the rooftop panting.

“Hyung! Junmei hyung, is there anything I can help you with?” asked Minwoo.

“A-ani!” said Junmei worryingly seeing Minwoo’s reaction as such. He was panting heavily as if he was running a marathon but he was only like that because he was searching for her everywhere.

Minwoo look up from his knees as the panting became slower. He saw Junmei with a mop. He asked for the mop, “Here, let me. Let me mop for you.” He took the mop from Junmei forcefully and started mopping.

“Minwoo ah~ You don’t need to trouble yourself,” said Junmei.

“It’s alright, I’m used to this.”

“Please stop.”

“Hyung! Can’t you understand that I’m trying to help you? You’ve done so much for the café! I’m trying help around the café as well!” emphasized Minwoo with desperate feelings.

“It’s not that I don’t see you wanting to help around so much but, this place is already clean as it is. I’ve mopped the whole place,” said Junmei trying to be persuasive.

Minwoo took a glance around the place. Like she said, the place was sparkling clean. No rain puddles anywhere on the rooftop. Minwoo laughed nervously to himself. “I –I see… How silly of me.” He gave the mop back to Junmei and exited the rooftop.

Junmei couldn’t care less, “Minwoo is weird… or humorous.” She giggled –surprisingly.

 

Junmei was still doing her chores. She has now noticed by now that most of the Boyfriend members were trying hard to help her out at the café but she couldn’t let them. She was used to them by now and if she will let them, that will only get them feel closer to her which she wouldn’t allow it. It will let the cat out of the bag if she showed her weakness as an ordinary girl. She must be strong enough as the other Boyfriend members to act tough like them.

Junmei was busily wiping the windows and glass doors when she was on her tip-toes to reach the higher end of the windows. Then she could feel someone up behind her at first and the cloth at her hand was snatched.

Hyunseong took the cloth and sprayed the windows with the liquid soap and started wiping where Junmei had left off. “It’s OK to ask for help once in a while.”

Junmei just kept quiet as she watched Hyunseong finishing where she started.

“Don’t be so independent. All of us are here to help you at the café. Why are you so arrogant?”

“Arrogant?”

“Yes, arrogant,” said Hyunseong pointing to her with the cloth. “The dongsaes are trying so hard to help you out. What do you do? Turn them away, didn’t you?” Hyunseong continued spraying the windows with water, and wiped again.

“Aishh!” I didn’t do anything wrong… “There’s plenty of work to be done, don’t you know that? You do your part, and I’ll do mine. Arasso?!” said Junmei giving an unpleasant stare.

“Bwoh? Why are you still being like that?” Hyunseong stopped wiping with his mood being out of control.

“You guys don’t get it that I can do my job well, do you?”

“Sorry Mr. Perfect, you can’t. Face it!”

Junmei and Hyunseong turned the mood around them into a fight. This couldn’t be ignored when Donghyun was watching them attentively from afar. He just had to break up the unpleasent situation.

“Junmei… Hyunseong… Break it up. How am I supposed to take a break when you two keep on fighting like this?” asked Donghyun.

“Junmei can leave,” said Hyunseong.

“I’ll be glad to,” replied Junmei.

“Aigoo… You can’t do that, both of you. What will the public think all of the sudden? And I thought things were getting better,” said Donghyun. Both Junmei and Hyunseong pulled a long face. “Junmei, I just want to let you know that I’ll not be in the café tomorrow.”

“Wae?” asked Junmei suddenly interested hearing Donghyun.

“I won this week’s R-day right? I’m going back to my home town for a few days,” said Donghyun. He then turned to Hyunseong. “So Hyunseong ah. I’ll be leaving the shop to you then since you’re the second oldest among the members. Take care of the dongsaes and Junmei while I’m gone.”

“Bwoh?!” exclaimed Junmei. Take care of me? Not this brickhead I won’t be.

Hyunseong was interested in this.

X3

 

X3

It has been two days since Donghyun left for his hometown and the Boyfriend Coffee house’s leader’s leadership was taken over by Hyunseong didn’t make much of a difference except that Junmei was doing so much work with Hyunseong interrupting her; or more like irritating her.

“Hyung, don’t be like that to Junmei, you know she –sh…” Minwoo was halted by Hyunseong.

“Don’t mention the ‘she’ business. It’s taboo around here,” said Hyunseong.

“Mianhe.”

Kwangmin and Youngmin were happy at least. Although they hope didn’t see Hyunseong bullying Junmei but this gave more chances for them to help her. They feel satisfied one way or another.

Jeongmin was wondering one thing today, “Where’s Junmei hyung anyway?”

By the call of the devil, she wasn’t in her uniform came down from the changing room heading towards the café’s exit. She took a glance at the five Boyfriend members. “I’ll be leaving now.”

“Wae? Why are you leaving?” asked Jeongmin.

“Where are you going?” asked Minwoo.

“My leave is today. I’m on an important errand… um… It’s a family thing,” said Junmei not finding the words to explain further.

“Hey! You want a leave, you may as win the Boyfriend rank!” said Jeongmin but it was too late. She dashed from the café way too fast. “Aigoo…”

“Hyunseong hyung, you aren’t stopping her?” asked Kwangmin.

“Ah… She already asked for permission from the leader and the manager. That’s why Hyunseong didn’t say anything,” said Youngmin.

Hyunseong doesn’t have the words to speak and resume his work.

 

Junmei was at the hospital to visit her Omma who was very sick for the past few days. She wasn’t getting better at home when she fell down with a fever, so it was best she sent her to the hospital for the hospital will take better care of her than Junmei can.

“Omma, mianhe… I was so busy lately,” said Junmei as she took a seat beside her mother’s patient bed. “How’s the hospital treating you?”

“Junmei ah… Don’t worry about omma. I’m happier that I heard you are working with the Boyfriend group. They’re the ones, who are getting more famous in our area, aren’t they?”

“Omma is hearing things,” said Junmei smiling. She starts peeling an apple for her omma. “Omma, all the members of Boyfriend are really taking care of me but it’s very stressful when it comes to juggling my time to study and to work. I’ve been very tired.”

“Then take some rest! Don’t end up like me,” said Junmei’s mother. They both giggled. “So, have you visited your father’s grave today?”

Junmei took a while to respond to her mother’s question but she nodded. “He’s doing well. I’ve cleaned up his grave. Many flowers came for him today.”

“As usual…” Junmei’s mother sighed deeply and thought; remembers onto something important. “Junmei ah…” she took Junmei’s hand carefully into hers.

“Happy birthday Junmei ah…”

Junmei smiled; accidently, a few tears came streaming down her cheeks even though she was trying so hard to smile in front of her mother. “It has been six years… Since appa died.”

“I’m sorry Junmei ah. I wish I was strong enough …” Junmei stopped her mom from getting up.

“Lie down… You’re not well,” she said.

“Have you heard from your sister?” asked Junmei’s mother. Junmei shook her head. She hasn’t. Junmei’s mother wasn’t smiling either.

“Look at it this way: We lose some things, but we gain something new. Look at you! You’ve change! And have many friends and working so well with Boyfriend. They must be very nice people to be taking you in.”

Nice like nice to my . Hypocrites! Annoying as they are with headlines here and there. I still dislike K-pop and their so called impossible loving fans. They are still kids! But what all Junmei could say, “They’re OK.”

Junmei’s mother raised an eyebrow, “Just OK? Tell me something else. Are they handsome? Gifted singers and dancers? Tell me that someone can play the piano!” Her mother was just as interested in them as she was in her father who was hallyu star himself. Junmei would understand why she’s more interested in them than her.

The Boyfriend members, except for Donghyun, were ears dropping their conversation. They’ve left the shop; closed it actually to follow or well as stalking where Junmei was going. They were too much curious to what’s she’s up to when she gets the day off. They were more interested to ears drop when Junmei is about to say what she’s about to talk about them.

“Well… There’s Jeongmin: He’s a very proactive person. He can make everyone smile, if it’s the customers, his fans or even his Boyfriend members, Jeongmin ah will always pull a joke to make us all laugh. Minwoo ah, he’s a very hardworking at the café. Even though he’s the youngest member of Boyfriend, I think he’s the most independent member amongst all. Youngmin and Kwangmin are twins. Youngmin is always bright and cheerful. He’s the older twin but he can be silly and be quite irresponsible! That person is unbelievable!”

“Bwoh?” asked Youngmin. Surprised by Junmei’s description he almost let their cover blow. “That’s not me!”

“Hushhh…!” “Youngmin hyung, be quiet,” said Kwangmin.

“I guess that’s why he has Kwangmin ah, his younger brother. He’s more mature than Youngmin. He knows what he’s doing and very helpful to others. Oh! Dongyun hyung is the leader. He can play the piano! I’ll bring you to meet him omma… And I’ll ask him to play you the piano one day,” said Junmei remembering how her mother likes the piano.

Her mother nodded. “I’d loved to meet Donghyun-shii.

“Lastly there’s Hyunseong…”

Hyunseong was nervous when she started to say his name.

“Hyunseong ah… He’s been nothing but a nuisance to me.”

All the dongsaes looked at Hyunseong whose life was half out of him for Junmei’s harsh comment.

“But Hyunseong ah, he can be considerate to others, especially to all his dongsaes. He respects Donghyun hyung a lot. Although I don’t know him as much, but I can tell he cares what the fans thinks about him and tries to be the best as the other members. Kind and strong; he’s doesn’t notice how cool his is to his fans yet.”

“He sounds like a charming young man,” said Junmei’s mother.

Junmei could only lift her shoulders and wonder so much herself.

The Boyfriend members slowly closed the door to Junmei’s mother’s patient room and started to discuss. They decided it was time for them to head back to the shop.

X3

 

X3

On the way back to Boyfriend’s Coffee House…

“Hyung, let’s celebrate Junmei’s birthday!” said Minwoo.

“That’s a great idea! Let’s do it at the Coffee Shop. We will decorate it and make it surprise!” said Jeongmin feeling very excited.

“C’mon hyung! You heard what Junmei said about us. Aren’t you at least a bit happy about it?” said Youngmin. “At least your comment was better than mine.”

Kwangmin hit his twin’s behind. “Yah! Don’t compare such things.” They both look back on Hyunseong’s expression; how his mood swings on about the party.

Hyunseong look at his dongsaes hopeful faces. “Shall we then…?”

They Boyfriend members cheered and hurried back to the Coffee Shop. Hyunseong on the other hand called Donghyun about the occasion.

 

As soon Junmei was called back to the Coffee house after hearing Minwoo said about a disaster when she was away, she rushed back worried that the other members left the shop in a mess. She doesn’t want that by the time Donghyun was back, the Coffee House was in a state of shock but instead, as she went in the Boyfriend Coffee House they house was filled with colourful streamers and balloons.

“HAPPY BIRHTDAY KIM JUN MEI!!!” congratulated the Boyfriend members.

Singing Happy Birthday was Donghyun with the birthday cake in his hands which he bought on the way back from his hometown. Just in time to celebrate with the rest of Boyfriend. The others join in singing the Birthday song and Junmei was so happy; she was speechless.

Firecrackers made the party wilder. They had cake and drank Strawberry juice specially made by Kwangmin and Youngmin at the bar. Minwoo was being helpful finishing the cake and Jeongmin kept on saying random jokes to get the party crazy and happening. Hyunseong enjoyed the party and let Junmei insult him for whatever means to make her satisfied. Donghyun was so much surprising that day: His return to the Boyfriend Coffee Shop, buying Junmei’s birthday cake and now presenting a present for Junmei.

“Are you sure this is for me? When did you get this?” asked Junmei.

“Oh something I picked up along the way. I think this will suit you,” said Donghyun.

“Kamsamnida!” Junmei was about to open her gift and remember something. “How did you guys know it was my birthday? I didn’t remember telling any of you.”

The Boyfriend members ignored intentionally that question.

“Let’s just say we’re very considerate people,” said Hyunseong.

“Yea right…” said Junmei. “You’re not the one giving the presents.”

“So birthdays are all about the presents. Oh so ‘swell!” said Hyunseong in an irritated tone.

“Aigoo~ Just hurry and open it,” said Jeongmin.

“Open it! Open it!” said Minwoo jumping up and down.

When Junmei was unwrapping the gift, someone entered the café unexpectedly. It was a manager. He wasn’t alone.

“Aigoo! What’s all this? Who’s holding a party without me?” asked Manager Jung.

“Manager Jung, good evening. Sorry about the unexpected. We’re just celebrating Junmei’s 18th Birthday today,” said Donghyun representing the group.

Manager Jung was so pleased. “That’s brilliant! Just brilliant. Take some pictures,” said the manager to the reporter beside him. The group awkwardly smiled. “Before I forget, this is Geum Hae Yee. She’ll be leading your next big thing as Boyfriend!”

“As wh-what?!” the Boyfriend members was surprised.

“Anneyong haseyo, I’m Geum Hae Yee. I’m actually the chief editor for a publishing company who will be editing your next appearance in our magazine Teen Iva next week. I’ll be looking forward to working with Boyfriend soon.”

“Boyfriend will be making an appearance soon?” asked Hyunseong.

“Yes! It’s now time for the Boyfriend crew to establish their new image to the public!” said Manager Jung very enthusiastic.

Junmei who caught up with everything saw this in a brighter view said, “Isn’t this great? Boyfriend is getting promoted! You guys will be doing the next comeback anytime soon. Congratulations!”

She smiled; smiled so brightly that the others found hope in Junmei’s words. Donghyun believed in her words as well… “You’re right.” Boyfriend can finally debut once again.

The gift actually… I wanted you to see it. We had in there our secret of knowing yours…

 

To be continued… Ppyong!