A New Beginning

Only Look At Me

I woke up at 9am the next morning, sleeping only a few hours. I have to admit it was difficult to fall asleep with so many things going on. Mom had already tidied up the guest room for Chaejin's arrival when I was out last night. I slipped on a long-sleeved tee and some shorts with my hair up in the usual messy bun and my bangs falling nicely just above my eyes. Usually I'd find my bangs a nuisance and clip it up but I didn't really care this morning. Grabbing my cellphone, I ran down the stairs, shoved a piece of toast that I'd gotten from the table into my mouth and slipped on my sneakers. "MOM I'M GONNA SEE JINNIE FIRST!" I hollered and left before Mom could reply.

 

I skated down the pavement while chewing on my toast. I was waiting impatiently at the traffic junction when Myungsoo popped up by my side. "Where are you rushing to?" his voice rang in my ears while I clutched my chest in shock. Should I tell him...? I comtemplated while looking at the traffic light that had no intentions of letting the traffic stop for me to go. I caught hold of Myung's arm and dragged him to the side, telling him roughly about what had happened. A look of understanding and sadness dawned upon his face while he muttered a low sorry, bringing me into a hug. "It must be tough huh." Nodding into his chest, I bit my bottom lip to stop the tears that were threatening to fall out.

 

He broke away from the hug, brushed my bangs aside and puffed out his cheeks, and told me to be strong. Unexpectedly he showed be his aegyo. A fist pumping with a eye-smile and a cute 'Fighting!'. I chuckled at how surprisingly cute he'd turned out to be and pinched his cheeks, earning a groan from him. Oh dear the normal Myungsoo is back. I ruffled his hair, yet again earning another groan, said goodbye and continued skating across the road when I'd notice that the traffic light had finally turned green for us pedestrians.

 

I stopped by a coffee house on the way and bought a cup of hot chocolate for Jin. I arrived in the next 5 minutes and ringed the doorbell, shouting his name repeatedly. The door finally opened after a few more rings and a much better looking Chaejin appeared. He looked absolutely adorable with his bed hair while rubbing his eyes as he tried to stiffle a yawn. I nudged him aside and greeted him good morning, and in return I got a "Noona what are you doing here?" I poked his sides and joked about how disrespectful he was. He was much more relaxed today, not as solemn and depressed as he was yesterday, although a tinge of sadness was still present in his eyes and his voice.

 

I gave him a hug and reminded him that he was going to move into my house today. I broke away and asked him to wash up before the hot chocolate gets cold. He suddenly held me by my shoulders and locked eyes with me, saying "Noona, I'm... fine now. I guess. Thank you noona. Thank you for all that you've done." I beamed at him, proud of his progress of getting over his mom's death. He returned me that same small smile he gave yesterday, although today it showed some sincerity. He left me smiling dumbly by myself when he left to prepare himself.

 

I waited for minutes before we stepped out of his apartment and went to my house. I held my skateboard and walked beside him, watching him take sips out of his drink. A settling silence formed in the atmosphere while I smiled, happy for him. "Noona, you don't have a boyfriend right? You should dump the skateboard and get some girly clothes; let down your hair and put on make-up. Noona, you're a boy in a girl's body, you know?" he said cheekily while glancing at my shocked expression. My eyes had grown a hundred times bigger upon what he'd just said. ".. WHAT?!" He giggled a little before apologising and said that he didn't really mean it when he said that I was a guy in a lady's body, although the first part was the truth. I pouted and asked with a disappointed "Really..?"

 

"But you know you'll always be my favourite noona right?" he tried to make it up by saying some sweet words. I was still stunned by what he said and was unfazed by his sweet talk. The rest of the journey home was filled with him nudging me and trying to make up for his 'mistake'. I laughed and jokingly hit him when we reached my house. "This is it Chaejin, this is your home now, okay?" I looked up to him while smiling. His expression turned sad for a second before he cheered up and held out a fist for a fist-bump with me, saying "I can do this." I grinned at him and held his hand for encouragement, bringing him into the place he would now call home.