Happenings

Only Look At Me

Shocked, I wiped my tears away with the back of my hands. As I stared wide-eyed at him, I inched back slowly and ran away. Honestly, it was too much to take for a day. Rejection, heartbreak, and now a confession? Who in the right mind could digest all this. The more I ran, the more I cried, but the more I calmed down. My run turned into a jog then into a walk. I frowned as I noticed that my surroundings weren't familiar, and my blurred vision from crying wasn't going to help me either. I heaved a sigh and walked in no particular direction, realising that I'd left my baby Myungsoo's house. The sky wasn't getting any much darker, it was only 3 in the afternoon. Both physically and mentally tired, I settled down on the road pavement with a popsicle I bought from a kind ahjumma in a store.

 

"You're lost, aren't you? You don't seem to be from our district." an unfamiliar voice laughed.

 

Great. More trouble, huh? Annoyed, I furrowed my eyebrows and turned around to stare at the stranger. The perfect-looking stranger cocked an eyebrow and smirked. This guy was definitely good-looking, but not as handsome as Myu- oh never mind. A mini staring contest occured as both parties didn't want to concede to defeat. Breaking the silence, he chuckled.

 

"Chill, hold your horses. I don't mean to find any trouble with you, just a curious passerby here" he put up his hands as he shrugged. My eyebrows knitted more closely as a look of confusion came across my face. What does he want?

 

"Soooooo ... bad day huh? It's written all across your face. I'm a great listening ear you know... Although we met just a couple of minutes ago, I bet we're gonna make great friends!" a smile lit up his face. But I frowned further since it reminded me of my best-friend.. if he still was one that is. That was what Myungsoo said to me the first time we met at the park when I was 5. Great friends...

 

I kind of agreed with him too... I felt that I could trust him. Was it the look in his eyes? Or his kind gesture? Or.. something else? I have absolutely no idea. As I met eyes with him again, I started pouring out my troubles. Time flew and soon it was getting dark. My trouble-spilling session had grown to become a bonding session, and we both got to know more about each other. He was a student too, like me although he was a few years older. We had quite a few common interests too. He's quite a gentleman I've noticed, and yes he offered to bring me back home since I didn't know my way around here.

 

Chatting more as we walked together, we soon reached my home. Bowing and thanking him, he waved it off with a fling of his hand and a grin. We went our separate ways and as I was about to go into my house, I heard him calling out to me.

 

"Hey!" Turning around to face him, whose hands were in his pockets, he continued. "See you next time! And oh! Call me oppa!" With a playful smile, he ran off. Shaking my head, I went into the house meeting my mom who had a dangerous smile on her face. 

 

"So... Your boyfriend?" she asked as her eyes lit up as if she was a three-year-old kid who just received candy. Embarrassed, I shot her a dirty look and whined "MOOOOM."