Landed with a thud

Only Look At Me

For the next few days, we were as close as ever. The best of friends, Myungsoo and me, were back with a bang! I hadn't seen Daniel for the next few days, well mainly because he didn't live in our side of the town.. Hmm.. Guess he didn't need to run errands anymore. As much as I'd miss Myungsoo, I was kind of missing Daniel too. Unknowingly he'd taken up quite a big space of my heart. Probably because he was there for me when I was at the lowest point of my teenage years.

 

Things were like before, fun and happy. But times when I was left all alone, my mind would float to Daniel. What was he doing? Was he eating well? Did he sleep well? Will we meet again? But they faded once Myungsoo was added into the picture. There were inevitable awkward moments though. Like when our hands occasionally brush against each other's, he'd start acting weirdly, but everything was fine besides that. I didn't know where I hid it or how I hid it, but I'd then realised how much I'd missed him.

 

It was another of those days.... one you might call a lazy day. Tossing and flipping in bed, I was reluctant to get up and wash up. But yes.... Mom had to drag me out of bed. It was noon and I didn't feel like having lunch yet. It was hot and sunny day, and as I skated down the streets I thought of the possibility of seeing Daniel again. I'd just realised every time I see Daniel, it would be hot and sunny. Better try my luck right? I skated to the nearest store to get an orange popsicle, as always. Sitting down on the pavement, my insides were bubbling with excitement. Would I meet him again?

 

Sadly, after I'd finished my popsicle, he still hadn't turn up. I didn't exactly know why but I felt disappointed... It had been more than a week since I had last seen him! Tossing the popsicle wrapper into the bin, I skated to anywhere besides home. I love skating. I had been skating since I was 10. I liked the tricks I could do with my skateboard, the adrenaline when I skated through dangerously narrow places fearing that I might bang into someone or the wall (which I did before... I ended up getting a bruised 'bun' on my forehead), feeling the fresh air running through my hair and the thrill of ... I'm not so sure of what either. I only know skating feels great!

 

Realising that I had been closing my eyes while I thought of my past with skateboards, I opened my eyes to see that I was almost colliding into someone. Someone who looked oddly familiar... Having not enough time to think of who that was, all I could do was shout "Yah! Watch out!!!"

 

When he looked up, it was all too late... In a split second Daniel and I were thrown onto the floor. By.. well, me. Oops. It took me a second after the collision to realise it was Daniel. I was set right next to him, and when I saw that it really was him, the annoying yet awesome Daniel, I hitched my breath and cracked a goofy smile at him.

 

"... You miss me so much you just had to attack me huh?" he said with a smirk.

Rolling my eyes, I stood up and dusted myself. "Yeah right, you wish." He was only half right... I did miss him. BUT I SOOOOO DID NOT WANT TO ATTACK HIM. Meanie.

 

Laughing, he stood up and dusted himself as well. I grabbed my skateboard and started to walk down the street with him. I've been waiting for such a long time to have a chat with him! I started pouring everything out to him, starting from whining about how heartless he was to not talk to me for more than a week, to how me and Myungsoo were patched up as best friends already. He too, started talking about some of the stuff that occured in his life for the past week. We were walking to the park and it was almost three. He asked me to find a spot while he would go and get us drinks. I settled down beneath a huge oak tree and soon enough I fell asleep.

 

By the time I'd woken up, the sun was already starting to set. I glanced at my watch to find out that it was already 6pm and my head was resting on a sleeping Daniel's shoulder. Sunlight shining on his face, his pretty features started to stand out as I looked at him, sort of mesmerised. Snapping out of it, I shook out all thoughts and begun to admire the beautiful sunset. Yellow, to bright orange, to crimson, soon it was already dusk. I tried to wake him up by nudging him, but obviously that didn't work because he didn't even budge. I poked his arms, to which he responded with a snort. Kind of cute actually hehe. I started to play with his face, pinching his lips together, poking his nose and pulling his cheeks, not even realising how close I was to him. At that moment, his eyes opened in less than a blink and all I could do was gasp, partly because I was hoping that he wouldn't kill me afterwards but mostly because we were only inches apart.