Disconnected

Irreplaceable

"Oppa! Don't leave me, please! I need you!"

Ravi's ex-girlfriend's screams haunted him.

"Don't leave me!"

"I hope you die! I won't miss you anymore!"

"Ah!" Ravi screamed and it sounded robotic but high pitched.

"Ravi!" he heard N call his name. "Are you okay?"

"No," Ravi said. "No I'm not."

"What's wrong?"

"I remembered that I had a girlfriend when I was a human," Ravi explained. "But I broke up with her in a cold and evil way. I was a monster; I even smiled when I walked away and she begged for me to return to her side, but I didn't listen because I thought it was the right thing to do.I don't remember why I broke up with her in the first place."

"Our creator had a girlfriend," N responded. "Maybe we should ask that little boy to spark his memory."

"Do you want his memory to return?" Ravi questioned N's intentions. Sure, their creator didn't want to let go of his own girlfriend, but sometimes the past is better forgotten than remembered.

"Yes," N said. "It's the only way he'll return to us at last."

"Maybe that will change once his memory is back," Ravi said. "We won't be what he wants if his memory returns."

"I didn't even think of that," N murmured, his monotoone voice deepening. "I wanted him to remember us, but with his girlfriend involved, he'll choose her instead."

"We were just his replacements," Ravi realized. "We were replacements for his broken heart and forgooten memories he left behind when he transformed himself into a cyborg. His girlfriend is who he truly wanted; he just couldn't accept her death."

"I don't think he really cared about us once she showed up again," N said. "In fact, I was the one who hid her from him."

"You were the one that made him forget?" Ravi asked, surprise creeping up in his monotone voice. "I thought he forgot on his own."

"I made him forget her and brought his attention to us," N revealed.

"N," Ravi said, his systems telling him N was getting jealous again. "It's not her fault."

"Our creator never thought of us when he disappeared..."

"N, stop!" Ravi was growing frantic.

"Our creator's true goal was to be reunited with his girlfriend again..."

"N?"

"Our creator made her first before making the rest of us..."

"N..."

"Our creator betrayed us!"

"No N," Ravi cut him off. "You don't know what you're saying. Just calm down and-"

"I know exactly what I'm saying!" N screamed and Ravi's ears started ringing. He heard something shatter and both cyborgs found the source of the noise: The secret container that held the mechanical heart shattered open due to the loud scream N gave off. They heard the room door open from the distance and the cyborgs rolled their carts frantically so they wouldn't be caught.

Hiding behind a corner, Ravi and N saw the little boy's father run into the lab and they saw him examining the shattered container with the contents empty. N had the mechanical heart tuced safely between his body and arm.

"I wonder if those men in black are here..." the father muttered to himself before running outside to check for danger. Once the way was clear, Ravi and N came out from behind the corner and cleaned the mess up on the floor.

"I've never been more jealous of a human before," N said. "I got carried away; I'm sorry."

"It's alright," Ravi forgave the cyborg leader. "But I still don't know what's right for him."

"Only time will tell," N said before rolling his cart away. "I'm going to hold onto the heart for a while."

"Okay," Ravi said. "I'll give you space."

When N was gone, Ravi smelled oil close by. He pinpointed the source and saw Hyuk with oil streaming from his eyes down to his cheeks. Drops of oil fell to the ground.

"Hyuk," Ravi said. "You're going to run out of oil if you keep crying."

"Did our creator really betray us?" Hyuk's voice was clear even though he was crying oil; they were cyborgs so they wouldn't be chocking when crying, but the poor maknae gave off the feeling of distrust and sadness. "Did our creator really throw us aside like we were nothing?"

"No Hyuk," Ravi realized Hyuk heard N screaming in jealousy. "N hyung was jealous, that's all. He didn't know what he was saying. He did this before and he needs time alone."

"We've changed," Hyuk said. "Most of us anyway."

For once, little Hyuk, you're thinking realistically...I actually miss when you were an optimist, trying to keep the cyborgs together from collapsing. I'm sorry, little Hyuk, I'm so sorry.

I was the one who changed you.

It's a shame how I just noticed how someone else's memories can change a heartless being such as a cyborg; a cyborg like me...

 

Dusk turned to dawn, the morning sun rising into the sky, unleashing the first rays of sunshine. The stars hibernated for another night and the moon faded along with the darkness. N woke up in sync with the other cyborgs, but all of them noticed that there was something missing, someone missing.

It was Ravi.

N used his systems to locate the cyborg who was outside, his emotions overriding N's systems. He controlled his cart to roll outside, and when he saw Ravi, N nearly exploded with anger.

"Ravi!" N shouted at the top of his metal lungs. "What are you doing?!"

Ravi pulled something from his head, a small green metal chip, and he immediately shut down. N rolled his cart as fast as he could to the fallen cyborg whose systems restarted. N carefully picked up the unharmed chip Ravi pulled from his head, but before he did, Ravi's eyes opened.

Ravi's eyes weren't metallic silver anymore. They were a light brown instead.

"Who. Are. You?" Ravi spoke weakly. N noticed that his monotone voice was gone and he sounded like a normal human man. The way Ravi spoke however wasn't right. It was as if he forgot how to speak before...

...or he completely forgot who he used to be...

"What's your name?" N asked, testing Ravi.

"My name is Wonshik," Ravi answered, complete sentences returning to him, but thagt wasn't the answer N expected to hear.

"Do you remember me?" N asked this time.

"No," Ravi said, his eyes squinting. "I don't think I've seen you before."

"Come inside then," N said, taking a different approach. "You need to rest."

Ravi nodded his head while N pushed him into the lab. Once they were inside, the other cyborgs appeared, and the normality they had in their eyes turned into complete shock.

"N hyung!" Ken exclaimed, his monotone voice rising. "What happened to Ravi's eyes?! They're brown and they're supposed to be silver!"

"Who's Ravi?" the amnesiatic cyborg asked. The other cyborgs widened their eyes.

"What did he do this time?" Leo asked, his monotone voice soft and low.

"Ravi pulled this chip out of him," N explained. "When he pulled it out, he forgot who I was, and he claims he's neevr seen me before."

"Yoou have to put it back inside!" Hyuk exclaimed. "I miss Ravi already! It feels so weird."

N found the hole where the chip goes and slowly placed it in. Finally, the chip reconnects with Ravi and he cyborg swings at N, who dodged just in time.

"Why?!" Ravi screamed. "Why did you do that?!"

"Ravi," N said in a calm monotone voice. "Calm down. I only did this to help you."

"No!" Ravi was stubborn. "I wanted to remember my past and you robbed me of that chance! When you put the chip back in, I forgot my past, and I was so close to being human...This close!"

"Calm down," N repeated. "What did you remember before I placed the chip back in?"

Ravi was silent for a moment before whispering, "How I died."

"How did you die?" N asked. This took an interesting turn.

"I committed suicide and hung myself in my own room when I was a human," Ravi bluntly said. "My life was falling apart and I couldn't take it anymore, so I decided to end it. I also remember how much of a monster I was to my girlfriend..."

"Monster?" Leo repeated. Even he seemed surprised.

"I broke up with her and I didn't care about her after that," Ravi revealed to the other three cyborgs. He paused before saying, "I think our creator was trying to protect me of my human past when he programmed me to be a cyborg."

"Ravi..." Ken said, sounding sympathetic.

"I don't want to ruin myself anymore," Ravi said. "I don't want to know my past anymore."

"Now you know why I don't want to know mine," N said. "You forget forget the person you are now."

"We're not people," Ravi said while rolling his cart away into another room. "We're merely machines and it should just stay that way."

When Ravi was gone, the room door that the human family used swung open, and the cyborgs closed their eyes to protect themselves.

"Was I just imagining that?" the father's voice whispered before closing the room door. How long was that family inside that room for? None of the cyborgs have seen the little boy for a few days now.

Suddenly a squeaky voice asked, "Where's Ravi?"

N opened just eyes to see the little boy without his parents around. The other cyborgs opened their eyes and Leo said, "Ravi's disconnected from us for a while. You'll see him again soon. Don't worry."

"I don't think I want to see him again," the little boy whispered. "He made me cry."

"He did?" Hyuk asked. "How?"

Ravi's going to pay for this... N thought.

"I heard him say that he didn't care about me or my parents," the little boy said. "All of you were defending us, but Ravi didn't care, and I went back to my room and cried all night and thankfully my parents never knew I cried."

No...he listened to our conversation. It's not just Ravi's fault, it's every cyborg fault including mine. We all should've been more careful and we hurt this little boy badly. We decieved him...

...but then he decieved us before in his previous lifetime...

N cleared his head to prevent jealousy. The little boy had tears in his eyes and ran outside. Hyuk moved to follow him but N stuck out his one arm to halt him.

"He needs time alone. You'll just make him more sad."

It's not just Ravi that's disconnected. We're all disconnected, and we disconnected each other. We're becoming more human everyday and we're abandoning our own cyborg ways. If we're not complete cyborgs or complete humans, what are we?

Monsters, maybe?