Winter Blues

Irreplaceable

Food was running short for the human family that lived with us. They tried hard to conserve; they even had to eat only once a day to save, but the food was slowly going down. The little boy's father went to search for food but to no avail.

Times were getting tough.

I couldn't forget what the little boy said to us about Thanksgiving: That holidays are meant to spend time with loved ones. For a little boy, his words were deep. Even Ravi cried, though he didn't know I caught him doing so.

"N hyung?" Hyuk called to me.

"Yes?"

"I detected enemies coming from 50 miles away!"

"The men in black?"

"Yes."

"Why would they show up now after 100 years?" I asked, annoyance in my monotone voice.

"Maybe they detected us active or something," Hyuk pointed out.

"How many of them are there?"

"Let's just say a lot more than before."

"That doesn't help," I said sarcastically. "We better be prepared."

"I don't think we should fight them this time," Leo said, rolling his cart towards us. "They have weapons that'll shut us down and we might never wake up again."

Of all cyborgs, why did Leo have to say that? Maybe we should surrender immediately or move to another location...But who would accept strangers let alone cyborgs?

"Okay," I said, my leadership instincts coming into play. "If Leo says we shouldn't fight, we shouldn't fight. We should shut ourselves down so that we can wake up again when we need to. Now about the humans..."

"Since we'll be shut down we won't be able to speak anyway," Hyuk said. "We'll pretend we didn't know they were here, or that we ever woke up in the first place."

"We were never supposed to wake up," I said. "We were supposed to be inactive vessels for our creator's memory. We would be the only ones who rememebered him. But instead, he's returned. Oh, and Leo?"

"Yes hyung?"

"Do you believe our creator was reborn into that little human boy?"

"Well," he started. "He does have the exact resemblance of our creator. I also noticed he has a better vocabulary than other human children, so that could be a sign that he's no average boy, but it could just be a coincidence."

"You're just like Ravi," I commented and Leo went silent, his gaze penetrating.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Ravi would like to believe that our creator has returned," I began. "But he wants to be logical about this situation."

"Oh."

Suddenly, there was a loud bang on the door. The other cyborgs and I glanced at each other.

"Open up!" a man yelled. "We know you're in there!"

"Shut yourselves down!" I whispered. Ken and Ravi joined us and everyone closed their eyes.

"If you don't open up, we are authorized to use force!"

Silence.

"1..." I braced myself.

"2..." Here it comes.

"3!" I heard a loud bang and I heard a large piece of metal hit the ground. I heard thousands of men rush into the lab; they were opening doors, cabinets, drawers, everything!

"Let me go!" the little boy's father screamed.

"Why are you taking us?" the little boy's mother asked. "Just when we thought we were safe..."

"Help!" the little boy shouted. "My friends, help!"

Unfortunately, we couldn't help. Hyuk said that the men would be here from 50 miles away. How did they get here so fast? Times must've changed when we were asleep then. The little boy's screams were getting softer and I felt my cart being rolled away, but I couldn't blow my cover. After what seemed like forever, I heard a giant door close near me. I dared to open my eyes a little bit, and all I saw were four pairs of glowing silver metallic eyes stare back at me.

"Where are they taking us?" I recognized Hyuk's voice.

"Probably where they came from," I answered.

"Where are the humans?" Ken asked.

"I don't know. They better be safe though."

"What's your name?" a gruff male's voice asked.

"My name..." the little boy's voice was heard, his voice muffled by the walls that were dividing us.

"Your name?" he repeated louder this time.

"My name is Lee Hongbin."

I froze, staring into nothingness.

"We thought you were dead this whole time," the gruff man said. "Wait, you're just a little boy, but in this picture you lok exactly like Dr. Lee Hongbin from 100 years ago."

"What?" the little boy asked. "Is that why you're taking me?"

"Yes. We have to make sure you're not a threat."

"My son did nothing wrong!" little Hongbin's father yelled.

"Quiet!" a different man spoke. "We are done here. We'll leave you at peace."

So our creator did return to us! I shed oily tears, as many as I wanted to, and smiled. They looked the same and they even had the same name! But if he's here...

...then where's she at? Youngji, his girlfriend?