Broken Barrier

Irreplaceable

"N hyung!" a child-like voice whispered faintly. "Please wake up! Thery're gone...for now."

N opened his eyes and saw nothing but white and a glass barrier that blocked their way. He saw the other cyborgs open their eyes as well and begin to stir. They all realized what this place was: The enemy's futurstic-like cell for human prisoners.

N saw humans trapped behind glass barriers as well, but he couldn't take his gaze off of one particular girl that sat alone in her cell, her long hair covering her face. His sytems told him that she was feeling loneliness and regret. He felt sympathetic; that girl had no one else left in this world. It was strange: Even though a person faded away from the face of the Earth, they still continued to exist in another person's memory. That person was never truly gone...

...like Dr. Lee Hongbin.

The cyborgs thought he would never return, but a miracle took place that day when N and the other cyborgs woke up from their 100 years of sleep, remembering the memories of their creator and his final act of true love.

Unfortunately, miracles come with a price, right? That price was that even though he was reborn, Hongbin wouldn't be able to see his beloved Youngji.

That lonely girl, the only one in her cell, looked exactly like her. Except this time she looked younger.

The little Hongbin looked towards her direction and asked N, "Does she look familiar to you?"

N finally wanted him to remember his past so he said, "Yes I do."

"Do you think we can talk to her?"

"How?" N asked. "We're trapped, and if we break this glass barrier, we'll attract unwanted attention."

"Well we don't have to break it," Leo's soft monotone voice said. "We can cut through it."

Leo stuck out his one arm and his metal ball for a hand transformed instantly into a multi-tool. He used a laser and carefully made a giant oval through the barrier, and once he was done, he slowly pushed it and caught it so that it wouldn't make noise. He set it down carefully and the little Hongbin walked over to the lonely girl's cell.

"N hyung!" he breathed, his mouth wide open and his eyes wide with what seemed like horror. "This is the girl from my nightmare! No wonder she looks familiar."

"You know," N began. "This isn't the only time you met that girl."

"What do you mean?"

"You met her 100 years ago when you were older."

"I didn't even live 100 years ago!" the little Hongbin protested loudly, causing N to panic, but luckily nothing happened. "Those men in black said the same thing yet I don't remember!"

"This is the price you have to pay for being reincarnated," Hyuk spoke, his monotone voice becoming deeply demonic. "For being reborn."

"Hyuk hyung..." the little Hongbin whimpered. "You're scaring me. I have no idea what you're talking about; you're not the type to be afraid of."

"I demand that you remember," Hyuk said. "You have to. Speak to the girl now."

"Okay..." the little Hongbin said quietly. "I'll try."

He knocked on the girl's glass barrier, causing her to lift her head up slowly with a blank expression on her face. N was too busy in his bewilderment about Hyuk to pay attention to what happened to the girl; Hyuk was never the type to be fearful of, but did he finally lose it? Did he want Hongbin to remember his past for a long time but hid it very well? What caused him to change like this?It made even a leader like him afraid.

"...I remember you somewhere," the little Hongbin said, causing N to snap back to reality. "I dreamed of you before."

The girl was silent for a moment before saying, "I felt like we were laying on our backs at the end of the world, but the world is still going, and we're prisoners. Somehow, I felt like our lives were in danger before."

"I'm sorry," the little Hongbin said, tilting his little head to the side. "I don't remember that."

"You must remember!" Hyuk whispered loudly.

"You have to remember who you used to be before," Ravi said in a low, monotone voice. "You have to remember us before you met us in this lifetime."

"We missed you very much Hongbin," Ken stated. "We feared we would never see you again, but the impossible has become possible."

"Hongbin," Leo began, his monotone voice soft and quiet. "You created us to get rid of your girlfriend Youngji."

"We were supposed to be sleeping vessels for your memory," N said, revealing what happened when Hongbin was nothing but a scrap of metal. "But you were reborn somehow, and now you've come back to us."

"No," the little Hongbin's voice became deeper, as if he was a broken child with no emotion. "I came back for her-" He pointed to the girl and said, "Youngji."

"So you remembered my name," the girl said, smiling widely. "I missed you very much. Even though I'm a little girl, I always remembered you."

"Youngji," the little Hongbin said her name softly. "I forgot about you again. I'm sorry."

"There's no need for you to be sorry. Your cyborg friends helped you out with your memories and they care for you deeply. I'm so glad they have such good friends."

"Yes, I am too. I'm glad they made me remember who I was; at first I was very confused, but now I remember everything: Meeting you, seeing you die, turning myself into a cyborg, making my cyborg friends, recreating you, giving you your memories, and then seeing the both of us die. Let us all leave together."

"Yes," Youngji agreed. "But first, let me free."

At that exact same second, men in black rushed in with guns in hand and sunglasses that covered the emotion in their eyes...