Repaired

Irreplaceable

"There..." Hongbin whispered to himself once he added the last part to the prototypes. "They're complete. Now, let's see if this really works..."

Hongbin activated the prototypes, but they didn't respond. He tried again, but it failed

"What happened?" N asked. "I  thought they were good enough to reactivate."

"I guess they were too damaged to be fixed," Hongbin answered. "It's alright, though." Hongbin walks out of the lab as the others stare after him.

"Hyungs...?" Hyuk asked quietly, but didn't address Youngji. "Do you think...that us cyborgs will be human one day?"

The others turned to him slowly in response and N asked, "Why do you ask that?"

"I...I don't want to leave our Creator alone anymore."

"Hyuk...we'll always be cyborgs. Nothing will change that."

"We used to be human, N hyung! Now that our Creator is human again, I feel sadness and pain in my fake heart..."

"Hyukkie..." Youngji walked slowly to him and grabbed his hand. "Don't worry, Hongbin oppa is with me. He won't be lonely, I promise, and I'm human, too."

Hyuk turned his head away from Youngji and murmured, "I...want to know what it's like to be human again..."

Youngji and the other cyborgs stared at him in surprise.

"Hyukkie," Ravi asked, "we were never human in the first place. What are you talking about?"

"Ravi hyung, you're wrong. While our Creator was trying to fix those prototypes, I found records of our previous lives, as humans!"

"And now that you found out that you used to be human, well, all of us, you want to be there for our Creator since he became human again," Leo answered. "Is being a cyborg really that bad for you?"

"No hyung, it's just...I want to know what it's like to be a human again, and what it's like to die."

"What!?" Ken shrieked. "As cyborgs, we're immortal and we're much more capable than humans. But then, why?"

"It's just that we've all been cyborgs for a really long time. Isn't it time to try, to be something new?"

Everyone was silent to that question.

"I'll go find our Creator," N said, and rolled his cart out of the lab.

N wanted to feel human again as well, but he couldn't admit to that in front of everyone. Even though he couldn't remember life, and death, as a human, he wanted to experience that again. If Hyuk only found those records sooner, who knows what would've happened in the past?

N found Hongbin staring at the star-illuminated sky and the brightly-lit moon. He felt as if he saw something like this before, but his head became disconnected, and he simply shook it off.

"Creator? Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, N." Hongbin said quietly, turning to N. "I was just thinking about my past, that's all. I was taught as a child in my first life that the world was a creation that I could improve on. Whatever I did would change the world and make me known globally, but...my prototypes reminded me that I'm just a wasted life, a soul who should've never been born. If it wasn't for me, none of you would've suffered, including Youngji. I'm the one who made all of you into cyborgs, died, and then came back realizing that I stil couldn't do a single thing right. Everything comes back to haunt and mock me of my efforts. I've done nothing good. But I'll get over it, soon."

"Creator, you've given us another chance, and we're all still here. If it wasn't for you, none of us would even be here right now. We all died before, remember?"

"What...?" Hongbin's eyes widened. "Who told you that!?"

*Oh, no!* N kept his composure. "Hyuk did. He found records of our human lives in the lab."

"That was...a hundred years ago. I thought for sure that they were destroyed, but they weren't. Well, now you all know: You all used to be human, but died tragically. I thought that it would be a miracle if I could resurrect you six and Youngji, and it worked. But then-"

"Then what?" N was curious about Hongbin's behavior.

"Then the government came to get Youngji, saying that she was built illegally and she needed to be destroyed, and you know the rest."

"You and Youngji died together, thinking there was no other way out, and us cyborgs shut ourselves down for a hundred years. We weren't expecting to find you and Youngji, though."

"I didn't expect to be reborn, either. But I guess it happened for a reason." Hongbin turned away and looked back at the starry sky. "You should go back inside. I'll be there shortly."

N went back inside the lab and heard someone singing. He peeked through a corner and realized it was Ken. His robotic voice sounded smooth and powerful, not strachy or rough like a machine.

"N hyung, I know you're there."

N came out of hiding and asked suddenly, "How you do you like being a cyborg?"

Ken turned around, his metallic silver eyes rippled with confusion, then said, "I never really thought about it, actually. I kept thinking forward instead of thinking of the past, but right now, I don't know."

"You don't...know?" N repeated.

"I thought being a cyborg was kind of cool, although I'm stuck to this cart. When our Creator was reborn along with Youngji, I realized that I'm not going to die and be reborn like them; I'm only going to turn to rust and shut down for eternity."

"Ken..."

"Then I thought that it doesn't have to be true. I was given a second chance by our Creator, after all. That has to mean something. We could've been failed experiments, but we're alive again."

"Thank you, Ken," N murmured and left the room.

"Creator, your efforts have never been in vain. You took our dead human bodies and revived us as cyborgs. You deserve to live, along with Youngji. If it wasn't for the both of you, we would've stayed dead. You weren't able to bring back your prototypes, but you succeeded with the seven of us. You repaired all of us."