Possibility

Irreplaceable

As nighttime approached, the little boy and his parents were soundless as they sleeped, their breathing in sync. N and the other cyborgs telekinetically controlled their carts outside of the lab and saw the full moon shining down on them and stars danced across the black midnight sky. None of them have been outside before and the scene mesmerized them.

"We've become more human," N decided to break the silence. "We can talk in complete sentences and all of us feel emotion."

"It's because of our creator's memories that made us alive for the first time," Ken stated, his voice monotone like the rest of the cyborgs. "I want to thank him, but I know that he sacrificed himself, and I don't want to remember that."

"It's all or nothing Ken," N said. "Either you remember everything or forget everything. Which one is better?"

"I cherish our creator," Ken argued. "But I don't want to feel the pain anymore."

"You're becoming like Hongbin when he was human," N backfired. "When his girlfriend Youngji passed away, Hongbin didn't want to remember her or his emotions, so he turned himself into a cyborg. We're the opposite: We're cyborgs that are turning human. We don't want to lose that, ever. Do you understand?"

"...I do now," Ken answered, but N's systems told him that he was hiding something. He shrugged it off and nodded instead.

"Can I go back inside?" Hyuk suddenly asked.

"Why?" N wondered. "Do you want to see the humans? They're sleeping."

"No," the younger answered. "I want to open the secret container."

"Where the mechanical heart is in?"

"Yes, that's right."

"Everybody, let's go back in," N commanded. He himself had forgotten about the mechanical heart that contained the feeling of love before it shut down. It was supposed to be a momento of Hongbin and Youngji when they committed suicide. The cyborgs quietly snuck into the lab and N opened the secret container, pulling out the mechanical heart. It was out of power and black, but each of the cyborgs smiled at the sight of it. After all this time, the momento survived in the lab, untouched by anything.

N looked around the lab. The last thing he remembered was that the lab was consumed by flying sparks as men in black invaded inside, trying to get to their creator and his illegally made cyborg Youngji. Leo had destroyed every single one of them in just a few minutes and he even busted a heavy iron door open, but it was too late: The cyborg couple were already dismantled. If they had been quicker, then they both would still be alive. N felt regret and guilt creep inside his mind. His creator's memories were slowly turning him human and that's what the other cyborgs wanted to be as well.

N felt a tap on his arm and he turned his cart around to see Hyuk with recognition in his eyes as the youngest cyborg asked, "N hyung, do you notice something very familiar with the little boy?"

"Yes, I do," he responded. "It might be a coincidence."

"That little boy looks almost exactly like him!"

"I know," N agreed, but didn't trust the maknae completely. "But-"

"Hyung, excuse me for being rude right now, but I noticed how much they wanted to be together even in death in the memories," Hyuk said, a politeness atoning for his brash behavior. "They wanted to meet again. They even promised to defy their bitter fates. Do you think that it came true?"

"What do you mean?" N asked. "You can't change your fate, no matter how hard you try. I want to believe that but I hope they find each other wherever they are in death."

"Have you ever heard the word 'reincarnation'?"

"No I haven't," N admitted. "What does that mean?"

"It means that someone who's dead can be reborn but in a different body," Hyuk answered. "Like us."

"If what you say is true, then they really did find a way to defy death," N said, thinking hard, but one problem hit him. "If he's reborn, where is she at?"

"I think that's the price they have to pay."

"What price?"

"Since it was supposed to be their fate to remain dead, being reborn has a price: You don't know where or even when you're reborn..."

"So you're saying it's a possibility that being reborn was a fools' trade: They're reborn, but they might not even see each other in their new lives."

"Exactly," Hyuk finished plainly.

While the other three cyborgs talked amongst themselves, N and Hyuk silently rolled their carts to the room where the sleeping human family was at. N had a good look at the little boy and there was no mistaking the smiliarities.

Suddenly, the little boy stirred in his sleep and muttered, "Let me free."