Thing of the Past

Irreplaceable

"Come again?" Hongbin asked. Even though he was little now, he seemed mature for his age, but that was because he remembered his past and there was nothing child-like about it. N had never heard such a thing before, then again he was asleep for 100 years, chosen to protect the memory of his creator and girlfriend.

"You heard me loud and clear," the cyborg leader of the Government said deeply, "I want your mechanical heart."

How does he know about that mechanical heart? N thought. Just how? It doesn't makes any sense, and with Leo dead, nothing makes sense anymore...

"It's a thing of the past," Hongbin simply stated then asked, "What did you intend to do with it anyway?"

"I'm not telling you," the cyborg leader said, "Where is it?"

"It's gone," Hongbin deadpaned. 

"What...?" the cyborg leader seemed at a loss for words.

"It was destroyed a long, long time ago. Give it up and tell me the reason you wanted the heart?"

Did Hongbin really think the mechanical was gone, or was he bluffing? N didn't know, but based on his sensors, he detected no sign of emotion. But N simply didn't know what was going on inside his reborn creator's mind. He looked over to his right where Hongbin's parents stared in surprise and silence and N forgot they were even present in this room along with Youngji, who stood there with a blank face, the wires having no effect on her as she didn't even struggle against them.

"No time to doubt yourself hyung," Ravi's deep voice whispered, "I won't let your guard down if I were you. Our creator will get us out of here."

After a few moments passed by the cyborg leader said, "I wanted a friend of my own."

"Lying will get you nowhere," Hongbin muttered, "I won't fall for your tricks."

"It's true when I said that I wanted a friend of my own. So I needed a cyborg that would be capable of protecting its master at any cost, and that's why one of them is now dead. That cyborg protected you even though it was incapable of expressing much emotion, yet it knew the consequences in doing so: Once a robot is dead, that's the end of their life, and what happens to them after that is out. I never had a cyborg that cared for me at all and all of the cyborgs that are built here simply follow orders and are incapable of feeling emotions. Sometimes a top-notch leader needs someone to remind him of how special he is and that he is never alone."

"So you killed one of my friends?" Hongbin asked, anger escalating in his voice. "Why couldn't you just build yourself a cyborg and a mechanical heart!?"

"How else could emotions be preserved?" the cyborg leader asked, his voice calm and cool while Hongbin's was angry and fiery. "Even though I can make my own cyborgs, I can't create artificial emotion, or any emotion at all. I don't have an object capable of doing so, so I needed it more than you, since you're alive and...human. But since it's been destroyed, I'll just have to use your cyborg-"

Before he finished, the cyborg leader pushed a button near him and activated wires that tangled around Hongbin, who struggled to free himself from the gripping and binding of the wires. 

"And I'll have to extract your dead cyborg's remaining emotions from him while I have the chance!" 

The cyborg leader ran over to Leo's body and carried it ever so slowly and gently like a caring mother cradling her child in her arms. Hongbin struggled endlessly to free himself from the wires but he wasn't strong enough to break free. 

When the cyborg leader put Leo's body on the ground and was about to start extracting the remaining emotions inside, N yelled, "Leave my brother alone!"

With raging fury in his eyes, N shot a laser beam at the cyborg leader, who screeched at the contact. N saw Ravi throw a sharp boomerang that spun across the room as it cut the wires off the cyborgs, Hongbin, Youngji and his parents. Ken unleashed an ice beam that completely froze the ground and Hyuk launched a wire that wrapped aorund Leo and sent his body back to Hyuk, who smiled at the cyborgs' accomplishments. 

"Alright," Hongbin said, "While we have the time, we need to rebuild Leo, and that's in the room back there." He pointed to an entraceway behind the frozen cyborg leader. "Let's go before we get more unwanted attention." 

With the many shattered parts that made up Leo's body, the party moved quickly towards their destination: a gigantic warehouse where the Government's cyborgs are built. Hongbin ran quickly over to an operating table where cyborgs were repaired at.

"And..." Hongbin said as he pressed random buttons near the operating table, "...that should do it! Now the repairing process is about to begin!" 

As the drills began to work, N noticed Youngji cringing everytime the tip of the drills touched Leo's cyborg body, and her knuckles turned white as she squeezed Hongbin's hand.

"Son?" Hongbin's father asked, "Why didn't you tell us your 'friends' were alive?"

"Because they told me that it wasn't the right time to tell you and I kept my promise."

"I see."

The group went silent as the drills were done repairing Leo's body. He opened his eyes and his dark brown eyes flickered into the metallic silver energy that was unique to the cyborgs. Leo sat up and turned his head slowly to Hongbin and said, "Thank you...for saving me. I would've understood if you really did leave me behind, but you're too caring for that, aren't you?"

"What creator wouldn't want his friend back?" Hongbin smiled and hugged Leo, who hugged him back and closed his eyes, while N detected a sense of care and love that was very rare for a cyborg like Leo. What made N happy also was that Leo's stone heart had finally pumped with emotion, something that N would never forget.