Safe and Sound

Irreplaceable

The little boy woke up with sweat running down his face and his heart beating out of his chest.

It was just another dream...What if this is a dream also? What if I can't escape this? I don't have any confidence over it anymore.

He realized his parents were still asleep which was different from last time. The little boy noticed that his cyborg friends weren't conversating so he got up from his bed and opened the door silently. He saw Hyuk turn around and heard him ask, "Did you have another nightmare again?"

The little boy nodded and said, "Yes. This time, you guys and my parents were outside with weapons aiming towards men in black, and I ran towards them to stop them but I got shot in the forehead. Then I saw instant darkness; darkness is scary. You can't see it or touch it. It's a force that makes you stop thinking and sleep."

"For a six year old boy you sure are descriptive," Leo said. "That's all you saw?"

"Yes," he answered. "My parents are writers and artists so I guess I was taught to be...descriptive."

"Do you usually have nightmares?" Hyuk asked.

"No, but ever since I arrived here I started experiencing them. I felt as if I couldn't escape the nightmares; I was trapped in a dream inside a dream, one dream after another, and I couldn't wake up."

"That's...good in a way," N murmured. "Let me ask you this: Do you feel a connection to this place? This lab? Think carefully now."

The little boy looked around the lab. It was advanced in technology and cyborgs were living here, the nightmares he's been having, and the enemies that hunted him and his family down. He now realized all these events were connected to him; he just couldn't feel it.

"I see," N said as if reading is mind. "Right now you don't have to worry. You're safe and sound as long as you and your parents are with us; we'll protect you."

"Does it make you sad that you have to protect my parents and I?" the little boy asked.

"Well we don't have to protect you," Leo scoffed.

"What he means is that we want to protect you," N immediately covered up Leo's remark. "It doesn't make us sad; in fact, we're happy to have a human friend."

"You don't have to call me a human friend," the little boy said. "You all are part human too. My daddy taught me that so you can just call me your friend without the human part in it."

"Okay," N said. "Friend..."

The little boy hugged N's robotic leg, the only leg he had. N in turn the boy's soft black hair even though N didn't have nerves that would allow him to know what "soft" really was.

We're best friends forever! We'll be together forever and nothing will tear us apart! the little boy thought. He also knew that his friends wouldn't let him be harmed and that they would try to the best of their ability to keep him safe and sound. He appreciated that very much but in the back of his mind he was upset since he couldn't do anything for them in return; he's only six years old.

He thought that one day he'll repay his friends for their kindness; they could've kicked him and his parents out of the lab for all he knew. So he vowed that no matter what happened, he'll always stick for his friends.

Always.