Holiday

Irreplaceable

(Ravi's POV)

I had forgotten what winter was until now. The little human boy begged the other cyborgs and I to play with him and we agreed, although I had to admit that I was hesitant since N told me that I made the little boy cry. I regretted what I said; I was heartless.

Hyuk and Ken were the ones that played with the little boy the most. They had developed childish behavior that fit well for human children; I wondered if the two were like that in their human lives...

"Oppa, please play with me!"

No...My ex-girlfriend's voice was haunting me again.

"I'm busy right now," my voice said. "I promise I'll make it up to you later."

"You always say that!" she exclaimed, throwing a tantrum like a child. "Why don't you pkay ith me for just ten minutes instead of arguing? Are you always that busy?"

"Yes," I said flatly.

It was snowing that day, though I don't remember what the cold felt like anymore. I did remember that snow melted when in contact with something or someone. My ex-girlfriend begged me to play with her in the snow; this was before I broke up with her coldly.

I not just like the cold, I am the cold: Piercing, frozen, shivering. I thought Leo was cold, but I'm the true monster.

"Fine!" her voice became high pitched with annoyance. "I'll make you play with me!"

She threw a snowball square into my face. She raced into the house and into my room quickly so that the snowball wouldn't melt.

Then, I lost it. In a split second, I became so angry that I pushed her out of my house.

"Don't talk to me ever again!" I screamed at the top of my lungs. "How dare you?! I actually was busy with something!"

I locked my front door and walked towards my room and I didn't even turn back to look at her. I was too trapped in my anger that I thought I was right to be that mad at her, and now? I don't even know what the right thing is anymore...

Either a curse or a blessing, I don't remember my ex-girlfriend's name.

(N's POV)

When I looked to my right, Ravi was gone. I went inside the lab and found him looking at a wall, and he seemed lost in thought.

"What's wrong?" I asked quietly. Ravi turned his cart around and faced me.

"Nothing," he said.

"Yeah right," I knew something was up. "Are your memories returning?"

Ravi stayed silent for a minute before saying, "Yes."

"What happened?"

"It was snowing and she begged me to play with her but I was too busy," Ravi explained. "Then he came into my room and threw a snowball at me and I got so angry I pushed her out of my house and didn't look back."

"That's pretty harsh," I whispered.

"I feel so guilty," Ravi said quietly. "I shouldn't have done that to her, and I don't remember her name."

"Can I ask you something?" I aksed suddenly.

"Yes."

"Do you want your memories to keep going?"

"...No."

"I knew you were going to say that," I admitted.

"Hyung," Ravi began. "I want to throw my memories up into the sky and let them burn. I can't take this anymore; I wish there was a way when I'm ready to erase them!"

"Is that what you really want?" I asked slowly.

"I-" Ravi paused. "I don't know. There's this feeling inside me that tells me that I need to keep remembering, but there's also this feeling that tells me that I want to erase them and go back to the way life used to be for me: Just the other cyborgs, the human boy, and I. Before I started remembering my human life."

"Maybe you should keep remembering," I advised. "There may be a clue that'll help you later on."

"What kind of clue?" Ravi asked.

"You said yourself that there was a feeling inside you that told you that you needed to keep remembering your human life," I explained. "So there must be a reason you feel that way. You just have to find what it is and why."

"You're right," Ravi said, his voice becoming less strained, but still monotone. "Instead of focusing on emotions, I should search for actions instead. Emotions sure change those who are capable of it..."

"Like our creator..." I said, remembering his legacy for a better life with his girlfriend. "He attempted to erase his emotions as if they were an error so that they wouldn't get in his way anymore along with his memories. But he failed, and decided a different fate when he successfully transferred the memories of his dead girlfriend into her new cyborg body, causing her to be reborn. In the end, they died."

I should be saddened, but I didn't feel anything like that anymore. Maybe my own mechanical heart was so used to sadness that I couldn't detect it. Instead I felt my creator's presence close by in the form of the little boy; he has a striking resemblance of him and I'm certain that his wish to be with his girlfriend again caused him to be reincarnated somehow. Hyuk taught me that before; I was skeptical about the idea at first, but once I thought about it, my mind was set.

"And now some of the cyborgs including you believe that the little human boy is him," Ravi finished.

"You still don't believe?" I asked.

"I need more time," the cyborg said bluntly. "Do you know if Leo and Ken hyung believe in this idea of rebirth?"

"Now that you mention it," I started. "I haven't even asked them about it. Maybe I should ask them-"

"Happy Thanksgiving!" the little boy came rushing into the lab with snow all over him and hugged me.

"Thanksgiving?" I asked. That word felt so familiar to me, yet it didn't.

"It's a holiday!" he stated excitedly. "Do you know what Thanksgiving is celebrated for?"

"...No," N admitted sadly. "No I don't."

"It's about-" the little boy paused. "Huh, I forgot. Oh well, I'll ask my parents later today."

Later at evening...

"Son," the father's voice was heard in the room. The little boy's mother and himself were in there also. The other cyborgs and I stayed immobilized just in case one of the parents suddenly bursted out. "We're running out of food. We need to start saving; we don't even have decent Thanksgiving food so we can't celebrate properly."

"That's okay daddy," the little boy said. "Do you know why Thanksgiving is celebrated?"

"Of course my son," the father said. "Thanksgiving is celebrated because when the founding fathers came to colonize America, they were in deep trouble: No food, shelter, anything! So the Native Americans, or the Indians, came to help them and together they celebrated by having a big feast."

"Oh I get it!" the little boy cheered, his voice muffled by the closed door. "But like you said, we need to start saving our food."

"Winter's going to be tough," the father said. "But your mother and I promise that we'll do our very best to stay alive. Meanwhile, go and play with your friends. I'm sure they're lonely."

"You're right," the little boy said. "I'm sure we'll be just fine. Happy Thanksgiving."

He came out of the room and ran to the other cyborgs and I. We all opened our eyes in sync and looked down at him.

"Do you know where I can get more food for my parents and I?" the little boy asked, his eyes widening.

"That cabinet of food was the only place I knew or remembered," I said. "But the others and I will look for you."

"Thanks!" he exclaimed, his voice became cheerful. "I'll help also."

For a long time, the little boy and the rest of the cyborgs looked carefully at drawers and cabinets for anything edible for human consumption. Unfortunately, there weren't anymore food storages.

"Guys?" the little boy asked once they huddled together in the center of the lab. "I realized something."

"What?" I asked.

"I realized that holidays such as Thanksgiving aren't about food or even gifts," he explained. "They're about spending time with family and friends, the ones that are closest to your heart, and you guys are my friends!"

The little boy gave everybody a hug and said, "No, you guys are my family!"

With oil forming in my eyes, I thought, I missed you so much...You will always be my family along with the rest of the cyborgs. I always wanted all of us to spend time together like this, but we never had the chance, until now.

I forced the oil to disappear into the back of my eyes so they wouldn't fall down my cheeks. I looked to my left and witnessed Ravi shedding a single oil tear with his eyes closed.

"Happy Thanksgiving everyone," I said. "Let's never forget this moment, ever."