The Hope To Believe

Irreplaceable

"Our food supply is running low," the little boy's father said to him. "I'll go and see if I can find more."

It had been three weeks since the little boy and his parents had discovered the lab. When his father left the lab to find more food, the little boy's vyborg friends showed him a cabinet full of meat, fruits, vegetables and water bottles. The father came back without any food, but when the little boy showed him the food supply, he saw his father clap his hands with joy.

"You're going to be a great adventurer one day son," he said, patting his son's little head. "I can't be more proud of you."

"Daddy?" the little boy's innocent voice asked. "What did you see outside?" He had never told his parents that he would be outside at night with the cyborgs.

"It was barren land," his father explained. "Empty and dusty like an abandoned desert. I didn't see any sign of life whatsoever and I was fearful that we would starve, but you found the food supply, and I became very hopeful again."

The father went inside the room and the little boy heard his mother's voice too; they were conversating. The little boy was about to go further into the lab until he heard the monotone voices of his cyborg friends. He hid behind a corner and eavesdropped.

"I wonder how much time we have left before those men in black come after us," N said, sounding worried, which drew fear into the little boy. N wasn't the type to be worried. He acted like the fearless leader among the cyborgs.

"Don't worry," Ravi assured. "It's not us they're after; it's the humans."

"That doesn't make me feel any better Ravi," N scolded. "You sound really selfish and don't act like I don't know what that means either. You sound as if you don't care what happens to the humans."

"We need to stick together," Ravi argued. "I don't care what happens to them. We're brothers, we're family and we need each other more than ever."

"Don't forget we're part human!" N's voice started to rise. "We're almost like them!"

"At least the enemy isn't hunting us," Ravi said, still calm. "If we stick up for these humans, we'll be captured or destroyed even."

"The enemies will have to go through us before they lay their hands on these humans."

"N hyung, do you even know what you're saying? Do you want to die?"

"Do you want him to die? Just when we're able to see him again?"

"I don't believe that boy is really him," Ravi disagreed. "It has to be a coincidence. If he's here, where's she at?"

"It doesn't matter," N said. "As long as we have him, that's all we need."

"N hyung," Hyuk interrupted. "You're feeling greed."

"Greed?" the cyborg leader repeated.

"Greed is the desire to possess an object," the maknae explained. "You act as if our creator was your little doll you need to survive and that's not right. He's our friend and-"

"How would you know what's right and what's wrong?" N backfired. "I loved him more than his girlfriend ever did and who did he choose to be with in the end? Her."

"N hyung," Leo murmured, his soft voice still understandable. "Our systems tell us you're feeling jealousy. You need to stop; you don't know how to control your newfound emotions. It wasn't her fault; she met him before he met you. Remember?"

"I-" N started but paused. When he spoke again, it was more softer and relaxed. "I'm sorry. I don't know what happened to me; I got carried away. I just miss him so much and want him all for myself..."

"We all want him back," Ken said. "We all miss him; it's not just you. Even though some of us don't agree that little boy is him, I choose to hope that it really is, so he can spend his new life with us."

"But then he'll just die again," Ravi pointed out. "Then what? It'll just be us cyborgs left."

"We can recreate him," Hyuk suggested. "Then we can insert his past memories into him."

"That doesn't sound bad," N said. "But is that what he really wants?"

The cyborgs fell silent and the little boy used this chance to tiptoe away and sneak into the room; he thought that they would catch him by now. His parents were fast asleep already and the little boy decided to take a nap to silence his racing heart and sweating back. Also, he wanted to hold back the confusion and the tears that threatened to be unleashed. The little boy felt as if his friendship was being broken apart like glass shards scattered across a cold floor. Like they said: One person can make a difference, and Ravi just made that difference.

Later that day...

"N hyung?" Ravi asked. "Can I tell you something?"

"What?" N responded. "How much you hate humans?"

"I had a flashback of my own past as a human," Ravi said, trying to let go of their argument.

"Flashback?" N repeated with wide metallic silver eyes. "You're the first one to remember. Congratulations."

""Thanks," Ravi said. "I had flesh and real bone. No metal, no wires, no robotic parts at all. I was..."

"You were..." N beckoned him to continue.

"I was doing something called rapping," Ravi remembered. "It's when you talk really fast and you rhyme. It was my hobby until I died."

"I didn't know you did that," N said. "I'm glad you remembered now even after all these years."

"Me too," Ravi agreed. "I was afraid I wouldn't remember."

"You were wanting to remember your past this whole time?" N asked.

"Yes. I even tried to ask our creator myself but he refused to tell me."

"I wasn't planning on remembering mine," N revealed. "I'm...scared to remember my human life. I'll remember other people, my accomplishments, my regrets, and all I want to remember is you guys, our creator and the human family that's staying with us."

"I'm sorry," Ravi apologized suddenly.

"For what?"

"I wanted to believe that our creator had returned," Ravi explained. "But I was trying to be logical."

"Reincarnation does sounds off," N said. "But with high hopes anything can happen." With that, N just rolled his cart away and into another room, leaving Ravi there alone.

The cyborg smiled to himself while unleashing a single tear of oil.

Anything can happen; I just have to believe. I'm sorry, human. I thought wrong of you and I'm going to make up for my mistakes. I know that boy is him, and if I believe hard enough, anything can happen.

Never shall I forget that there is hope even in the face of despair.

That is what makes humans strong, even cyborgs, who aren't supposed to be capable of such emotions and thoughts.