Dream Inside of a Dream

Irreplaceable

He couldn't wake up, and no matter how much he wanted to, the dream was eating him alive. He saw a young girl older than him that stood in front of him while his robotic body was attached to a cart. Some of his body parts were missing.

"You'll pay for what you did to me!" she shouted. "You left me to die!"

"Please!" he begged. "I don't even know you! Let me free!"

"Never..." the girl muttered with revenge as cold as ice. "You'll pay. You'll pay..."

She grabbed a remote control and pressed a green button; the effect was immediate: He could feel his brain being fried with electricity while the rest of his body wasn't even harmed. After a few seconds, which seemed like an eternity, the torture stopped and the girl rolled his cart into a glass cage and sealed it with many locks with different keys to each one.

"Behave, my little robot," the girl taunted. "Or do you want to end up like them?" She pointed to a pile of unmoving and unblinking bodies. Even from a long distance, he saw five men that had black lines on their faces with metal bodies and metallic silver eyes that gleamed with light even though they were undoubtfully dead. He looked back at her, and she smiled. "That's what I thought," she said before walking away into another room.

The little boy woke up with sweat running down his face and his heart beating out of his chest. He noticed that his parents didn't wake up and he was thankful that they didn't; he didn't want to tell them what he witnessed in his nightmare that he nearly didn't escape from.

I don't want to go back to sleep again. I'm too scared, but maybe if I talk t my new friends, they'll understand!

The little boy meticulously snuck out of the room and into the lab where the five cyborgs were still awake. One of them turned around and asked, "Aren't you supposed to be asleep?"

"I had a nightmare," he said. "I want to talk to you guys about it."

"What was the nightmare about?" the cyborg called Hyuk asked, inching closer, and soon the others did also.

"I saw this girl who was mad at me," the little boy explained. "She said that I left her to die, but I didn't even know who she was! Then I noticed I was a cyborg just like you guys and she hurt me. Then she trapped me in a glass cage and she was really scary!" The little boy had tears in his eyes.

"It's going to be okay," the cyborg he first met reassured, though his voice was monotone.

"It doesn't sound like it," the little boy said. "What am I going to do?"

"We'll protect you," Hyuk said. "It'll be okay. You just need to stay by our sides and everything will be okay."

"Thanks you guys," the little boy said. "You're the most incredible friends I ever had!"

"What happened to your other friends?" the cyborg called Ravi asked.

"They..." the little boy paused. "I had to abandon them. The other cyborgs were hunting my parents and I down, so we had to leave my other home."

"I see," N said. "You need to rest, and if the nightmares come back, we'll be there to help you. I need to talk with the others so please close the door."

"Okay," the little boy said before leaving. "I'll be waiting for you guys."

As soon as the door closed, N immediately whispered, "This is no coincidence. It has to be him."

"Yes," Leo finally spoke. "We all noticed that."

"Also," N continued. "The girl has to be her, the one in his dreams."

"But she would never say things like that to him," Ken explained. "Those two wanted to be together, right?"

"Yes," Hyuk agreed. "But...I think it's even more dangerous."

Meanwhile in the room, the little boy was was unaware of the conversation in the lab, and he fell into a silent sleep. He saw the lab again, but this time the girl in his previous dream smiled kindly and asked, "How are you doing?"

"I'm...good," he lied, confused about her change in behavior. "Do you know me?"

"Of course silly!" she ran to him and grabbed his arm. "I'm your girlfriend-" That's all the boy heard. Was she about to reveal her name to him? If so, her voice was cut off but her lips still moved. The little boy couldn't read lips.

"I'm too young to have a girlfriend," he said. "I'm only six years old."

The girl laughed and said, "No, you're older than me, and I'm eighteen! Are you sure you're okay?"

"Yeah," he lied again. "I was just playing around."

"Good one!" the girl said, then yawned. "I'm sleepy already. I'm going to bed now so see you tomorrow!" She waved and then skipped into another room.

"What happened?" the little boy whispered to himself before waking up again. This time he felt cold with worry, his spine tingling. His parents were absent from the room, but he still heard his father's voice as he shouted, "They're coming! Prepare yourselves!"

No...How did they find us already? We were supposed to be safe but I guess the whole world was already against my parents and I.

The little boy exited the room and saw the lab empty. He found the door that led outside, but just aas he was about to open it, he recognized N's voice shouting, "Don't come out! It's not safe! Hide now while you can!"

How did he know I was about to open the door? Oh yeah...he's a cyborg. I can't sit around while my friends and parents are in danger, but what can a six year old boy like me do?

The little boy opened the door anyway, but when he saw the huge hoard of men in black march towards the lab, he felt as if a similar event happened a long time ago before he was forced to leave his home but he could've sworn that he hadn't seen them that long ago.

"What did I say?" N's monotone voice rose, making his voice sound as if a human and a robot were talking at the same time. "Go back inside!"

"No," was all the little boy could say.

"You need to respect your elders," Hyuk advised.

"I can't just sit around here and do nothing-"

"What can you even do?" Leo challenged. "You're just a little human boy. You can't possibly-"

"Size doesn't always matter," the little boy backfired. "It's all or nothing. I won't leave my friends and parents to fight alone. I just won't!"

"Son," the mother now spoke gently and softly. "We can fight them off. Please, go back inside."

Without thinking, the little boy ran toward the enemies with tears in his eyes while his parents and cyborg friends were shouting for him to get back, but he simply wouldn't obey. He didn't believe that their lives would end already and he was going to prove that fate can be changed, one way or another.

Then he realized his incapabilities as the men in black fired their weapons at him mercilessly. All of them missed so far, but one didn't as it was aimed at his forehead, and the last thing the little boy saw was deafening darkness.