Reconnection

Irreplaceable

How was he able to remember his past after over one hundred years? One hundred years! My past never came to me...I don't want to let go of myself; I don't want to ruin myself anymore. I'm perfect just as I am right now even if I am a cyborg for eternity. The past is better forgotten than remembered. I shall not ever forget that.

The little boy appeared in front of N, making him lose his train of thought. The cyborg patted the little boy's head and thought, You have returned to me at last. I thought I lost you forever; while I was seeing your past memories, I pretended that I was you. I was starting to think it was reality until you came back to wake me up; don't ever leave me again.

"N hyung?" the little boy asked with a cocked head. "Why do you look so sad?"

Did I really look that obvious?

"I'm not sad," N said. "I'm glad you're with us."

The little boy smiled and held N's metal ball for a hand. He said back, "I'm glad I met all of you guys. We're going to stay here forever!"

I wish that were true but unfortunately humans face death. What does death feel like anyway? Is it scary? Lonely? Cold? Cyborgs don't die; they live forever. But if they are beyond repair, they simply shut down. All they'll see is complete darkness forever but they won't remember. They'll lose themselves and forget how to exist.

Suddenly Hyuk's voice asked, "There's a strange word I just suddenly remembered."

"What?" N and the little boy asked at the same time.

"Noona," the cyborg maknae answered then turned to the little boy. "What's a 'noona'? Are you a 'noona'?"

The little boy in response laughed hysterically, the laughs echoing through the lab. He said, "No, Hyuk hyung! A 'noona' is what a guy calls an older woman! But not too old..."

"Ha ha..." N laughed in a monotone voice for Hyuk's mistake and he was trying to be more human.

"That's not funny," Hyuk said coldly. "One day I'll get you..."

"I remember calling someone a 'noona'," Ravi appeared.

"I never heard you say that word before Ravi," Hyuk replied.

"Hyuk," N cutted in. "Ravi's remembering his time as a human."

"Really?" the cyborg maknae showed surprise. "I want to remember!"

If only you knew, little Hyuk. If only you knew what you were going to get yourself into.

"But the more I remember, the more confusing it is."

"Still," Hyuk stubbornly said. "I want to try to remember. I feel incomplete now."

"We were always incomplete in this second life," N pointed out.

"What's a human?" the little boy asked. The three cyborgs stared at each other in disbelief.

"It's what you are," N said. "We used to be real people just like you, but we were given a second chance."

"Oh," the little boy remarked. "So you faced death before?"

"Yes. I don't remember what that feels like though."

"I heard death is scary. I heard people can die alone and that death makes you feel cold."

"Fear, loneliness, and cold..."

"That's what I heard but I haven't faced death yet," the little boy said.

You say that now, but once you remember, you'll remember everything. Even death and birth. You'll regret saying that...

Later that day when the little boy was fast asleep...

"Noona," Ravi heard himself say in his flashbacks. "I'm sorry."

"Sorry for what?" a sweet, quiet voice asked.

"We can't do this anymore. We can't be together anymore."

"Wh-why?" Ravi heard her stutter with disbelief that was clear to hear. "I thought you were happy with me."

"I used to be," he revealed. "But our relationship is...boring."

"You're talking nonsense! You have to be lying."

Ravi looked at her dead in the eyes and muttered, "I'm not lying. You annoy me."

With that, Ravi walked away while ignoring his now ex-girlfriend's cries. He dumped her right there without pity, but at the same time, a part of him died a little. He felt as if he wasted all this time being with someone he truly didn't love.

But then, he heard her shout, "I hope you die! I won't miss you anymore!"

I won't miss you either when I do die, Ravi thought with a smirk forming on his face. You were nothing to me ever since I knew the real you.

Then, the flashback turned black and Ravi opened his eyes to darkness, the other cyborgs shut themselves down for the night. He never thought he would've dated anyone before and even have the courage to break up with his girlfriend anymore. The problem was that he couldn't recall the emotions he felt before back then: Dead love, boredom, annoyance or satisfaction.

Ravi then felt afraid to go even deeper to fnd out who he really was as a human. He didn't like that flashback; he couldn't believe that cold and evil man was really him.

Then he realized that once he started remembering his human memories, it was too late to stop. He had to keep going, no matter how hard it was to accept the reality of the past.

Ravi had to be reconnected again in order to feel like a complete human being.