Vengeful and Misunderstood

Irreplaceable

Before the men in black were able to make their first move, Leo knocked them out in one swing, silence creeping around the room of glass cells again. The other prisoners looked dead, unmoving, not reacting to the situation. Leo punched through Youngji's glass barrier without any problem and she ran and hugged the little Hongbin who wanted her to be by his side again. I watched them having their moment, a smile gently playing across my lips.

"What's he doing here?" Youngji broke free from the hug and pointed at me. "What's...what's he doing here?!"

"Youngji?" Hongbin asked in total concern. "What's wrong?"

"He let me die!" she pointed at me again, anger evident according to my systems. "He watched me die and didn't do anything about it!"

"But..." Hongbin broke off and started again. "We both chose to die together and it wasn't N's fault-"

"He was too late to save us!" Youngji kept screaming. "If your failed experiments hadn't been so late, such failures as robots, then we both would be living happily ever after a long time ago and we would've died peacefully!"

"You never wanted to truly die," Hongbin whispered as if he realized something. "Didn't you?"

"...I..."

"Spit it out Youngji. You've started this, now finish it!"

"...I never agreed to your decision," she revealed, the little girl acting like a vengeful woman. "But I kept high hopes. I never knew you even attempted to build these five cyborgs."

"I built them after I erased my emotions and memories of you," Hongbin said. "But now isn't the time to blame them. We need to leave this place now."

"Not with especially him around!" Youngji pointed at me again, the passionate hatred burning in her eyes. 

"It wasn't his fault!" Hongbin pleaded with her to reconsider her emotions. "They were dormant that whole time and-"

"So it was YOUR fault! I can't believe you didn't build better robots..."

"They're not robots."

"They look pretty robotic to me!"

"So were you when you were reborn as a cyborg!" Hongbin shouted this time, causing Youngji to freeze, muscles not twitching a centimeter. "They're human also, just like you, just like me. We were reborn to be together in this lifetime, not fight about the past, and it was nobody's fault. But f you can't help it, blame me instead since it was my decision for us to die together a century ago."

Youngji still motionless, wide open, and her body frigid with her surroundings. The world seemed motionless at this point. Youngji was right: If the other cyborgs and I quickly acted when he woke up a century ago, then they would've been alive at that time, but dead at this time. But that fateful day when Dr. Lee Hongbin and his girlfriend Youngji died together seemed as if it happened yesterday. 

I wondered sometimes whether the other cyborgs and I were supposed to sleep forever or if we were meant to be awoken from our century sleep to greet the reborn Hongbin and Youngji. I don't know what fate has offered us, but things have taken the turn for the worst, and the blame is on either me or my creator.

"I'm sorry," Youngji snapped me back to reality. "I don't know what came over me."

That's all you have to say for yourself? I thought angrily. You should be ashamed for what you've done right now.

"N hyung," Hyuk whispered to me. "My systems tell me you're feeling angry and want revenge. Your emotions are acting up again!"

When I realized the maknae was right, I didn't say anything, and instead I cleared my mind and started over blankly. 

"It's okay Youngji," Hongbin responded. "Let's get out of here and start our new life together. Shall we?" 

He reached out his hand and she took it, holding it gently so that their grip wouldn't break from pressure

"I'm sorry," Youngji apologized to me. "None of you are failures. I've...changed ever since I saw everyone I knew from my previous life."

As the five cyborgs and the young human couple attempted to escape the place, a muffled voice shouted, "Hongbin-ah! Hongbin-ah!"

I looked to my right and recognized Hongbin's parents trapped in their glass barriers, the father banging on the glass while the mother cried for help. To my surprise, Hongbin attempted to keep walking with Youngji's hand in his, but Ken stopped them from going anywhere else.

"You're just going to leave your parents behind like they never existed?" The way Ken asked that question made me remember how angry I was at our creator since he seemed to only care about Youngji than us cyborgs.

"Since I have Youngji and you guys nothing else matters anymore," Hongbin answered, and I didn't like it one bit. "Not even my parents. Now that I remember everything, I feel as if those aren't my real parents."

"Hongbin," Hyuk conversed this time. "Those parents are your real parents, you just have the same soul from your previous life. Those are your real parents."

"Like I said Hyuk," Hongbin argued. "I don't think they're my parents anymore. Follow me."

"No," I said as Hongbin and Youngji started walking away. "They're coming too."

"What did you just say?" Hongbin whispered, his voice barely audible.

"You can't abandon them like this like you did with the other cyborgs and I a century ago," I answered, standing up for what was right. "For 100 years we dreamed about your memories over and over again when we couldn't tell dream from reality anymore. Soetimes I had moments when I was mad at you because you abandoned us without trying to wake us to let us know what your plans were. No, you left us and didn't even think of us! You left without turning back! Your cyborgs were never your top priority!"

"You're right," Hongbin said. "Before I lost my memory completely, I built N first, who would be the leader of my cyborgs. After my five cyborgs were complete, they were to be used as bodyguards for my beloved Youngji who died before my eyes. I don't want to experience that moment ever again, so do it then, bring my parents as well. If they died here, it'll be my fault for leaving them behind to their doom."

Leo immediately smashed the glass barrier that trapped Hongbin's parents. They ran up to him and said:

"Our son's friends saved us!"

"They were alive this whole time? Why didn't you tell us? They're heroes!"

"I knew you would save us, son!"

Maybe the glass barrier worked to our advantage this time, I thought. They must have not heard their son's true intentions to leave them behind in this wasteland. Maybe we should just keep it that way...

"Look!" Youngji shouted. "That door...I see light. It must be a way out!" 

The group and I raced towards thelarge glass door, and instead of finding the blue sky, I saw a taller man in black with white sunglasses who wore an evil smirk on his face. My systems told me that he was feeling the emotion of anticipation, like he was expecting something good about to happen, but deep inside my own mechanical heart I felt dread. It's as if the other cyborgs and I evolved during our peaceful and happ slumber with our creator's memories replaying over and over again. 

"You're not getting away," the man's deep voice said tauntingly. "You have something I want."

With a press of a button, wires streamed down from the shiny whte ceiling and with ends that pinched and grabbed, they grabbed Hongbin, Youngji and us cyborgs. We were lifted into the air as we struggled to be freed. Leo used his laser beam to cut the wires, landed safely to the ground, and unleashed a high jolt of electricity at the man who trapped us. The jolt of electricity exploded on contact, but when the smoke cleared, the man was still standing with his sunglasses gone and eyes shining bright white. 

"I am the leader of the Government!" the man shouted, then laughed evilly. "But let's just say us men in black are similar to you."

"Don't tell you're a..." Leo started but was cut off by the Government leader.

"I'm a cyborg," he revealed darkly. "Just. Like. You...The men in black you encountered were all cyborgs, and your creator which is Dr. Lee Hongbin, used to be part of the cyborg building process in the Government a century ago. But now he's returned younger than ever."

"What are you talking about?!" Hongbin's father demanded. "Hongbin's a little kid! He wouldn't-"

"Shut it gramps!" the Government leader demanded. "Anyway, like I was saying, he thought our cyborg creations weren't the best thing for this world. So he attempted to create cyborgs on his own to overthrow the government. But..."

The man in black took off his clothing to reveal his body made of stronger and thicker steel than the cyborgs on the other side of the room.

"Can you defeat me?" he challenged. "You won't be leaving until you give me what I want!" 

The man in black unleashed his own attack: a stronger and more violet jolt of electricity that hit Leo square in the chest. Leo's cart that he was attached to shattered along with the rest of him. I saw Leo's head roll towards me, his eyes stared at me for a bried moment, and then his eyes that used to be full of a metallic silver energy powered down to a dark brown. The artificial life in Leo's eyes was no more; Leo was dead.

"What shall it be Dr.?" the Government cyborg leader asked quietly. "Give me what I want or else I'll destroy everyone on your side and leave you standing."

"What is it that you want?!" Hongbin shouted, tears falling from his eyes. "Leo...no..."

"Even though you're human again and younger than I thought you would be, I want something from your past life, which is YOUR OWN mechanical heart!"