Sn Hye

Disillusionment

Nine
Shin Hye


 

The band stays until all the clients are gone and we have to close, and I stay as far away from them as I can, I specially keep my distance from the leader. I don't really know what happened on that stage and how he managed to make my heart beat like that after I had just decided I didn't want to even acknowledge his existence. He looked at me with that smirk and it was like the first time I saw him, when I didn't know a thing about his nasty personality. How? Did he do that consciously or it was me being weak in front of his talent? Probably the latter, considering the reaction of all the clients during the performance. After they went down stage many—and I mean many—girls approached them, especially to Jung Yong Hwa, asking for pictures and, I presume, giving phone numbers.

"Nuna!" a cheery voice calls and I turn to find the drummer waving and smiling happily as he heads towards me.

Min Hyuk really makes me feel like a nuna, even if he's not that much younger than me, I still see him as that little brother I never had. I really don't know why he wakes that instinct in me.

The members of this band are no ordinary men and they certainly have a special effect on me. The leader with the strongest effect, then the drummer. The bassist makes me feel very comfortable, he has a soothing aura and the other guitarist makes me feel assured, safe, like I can trust him.

"That was a great performance!" I tell the drummer when he gets to me and we are face to face. He smiles even wider. "Everyone loved you. How many numbers did you et?" I a bit, elbowing him softly on his side. He scratches the back of his head in a nervous mannerism as a cute little blush shows in his cheeks.

He's seriously really cute.

"A few," he replies shyly and I laugh out loud. I knew it! "Nuna!" he exclaims, even more embarrassed at my reaction. If he weren't this embarrassed it wouldn't be this funny.

"Okay, I won't laugh but I'm glad you succeeded. I bet we'll have even more clients tomorrow! All the college students will spread the word like wildfire. Believe me, I know them," I tell him almost as a secret and he smiles more comfortably now that I've changed the subject. Kind of. "Anyhow, you can leave now. Appa and I will close here. See you tomorrow," I say right when someone else joins us but I don't notice him until he speaks, startling me.

"Don't you need us to help you? Your appa seemed very busy," the leader of the band expresses and my hand flies to my chest due to the surprise, my heart hammering inside.

"It's not necessary," I decline his offer. It's better if he leaves now, for everyone's sake.

"Come on, Nuna! We just wanna help you out. We are young and strong men, let us be useful," Min Hyuk insists and when I look at him I know in my guts I can't refuse if he's pouting like that.

"Min Hyuk ah," I whine but he must know I'm about to give in because his smile is radiant. "Oh, fine!"

"Oh, so you accept if he offers his help but decline my offer?" Yong Hwa retorts, shocking not only his band mate but also me. "I feel the discrimination."

Is he the same guy that was so rude to me before? He doesn't sound like the same.

"Because Min Hyuk is cute," I reply staring blankly at the vocalist and he stares back with an incredulous expression, at which I fold my arms defiantly.

"You're saying I'm not cute?" he shoots back, daring me to confirm that and I'm not the type who runs away when a challenge’s presented. I always take the bull by the horns.

"That's exactly what I'm saying," I reply and I hear Min Hyuk having to cough to cover for the laugh that escaped his lips. Yong Hwa looks at me as if I've said something ridiculous and even if he looks a bit amused, I know he's pissed. That last part makes me stand straighter. "So of course I would agree if Min Hyuk-ah offers to help. You don't need to stay," I continue and the amusement leaves his expression.

The leader takes a step closer and I feel the urge to step back because the proximity makes me nervous, but I won't show weakness. He keeps the defiant look as he stares down at me, his dark eyes intense and captivating. I feel my heartbeat racing but I try not to let it show. This pull I feel towards him gets stronger now that he's so close and staring at me like that. I just need to take a step forward to close the distance between us and I feel so tempted that I can barely control it.

"Then what adjective would you use on me?" he asks and as now the bar is empty from clients and the music is long gone, he only has to whisper for me to hear him.

"Hmm" I pretend to think because my brain is having a hard time making synapses with him so close. "Pompous suits you," I declare and he lets go an incredulous snort. "And you have split personality. I wonder if everything is working properly in your head," I muse. I'm apparently looking for another fight but I swear it's an unconscious process.

"And that bugs you?" he questions and I'm not sure but I have the impression he's even closer.

"Well, it is a tad annoying, but I don't care enough as to do something about it," I dismiss him.

"Are you sure?" he insists and yes, I'm sure he's closer now and my heart is beating so strongly that I'm doing my best to stay where I am instead of running away like a scared little rat.

"Seriously, what's wrong with you today? Why are you acting like this now?" I spat agitated, but still standing where I am.

"I'm just trying a different approach," he replies and his voice sounds tense. "I'm trying to figure out how much I can push before you back off. How close I can get without actually touching you."

My eyes widen at his word. I just can't believe him! What is he really trying to accomplish with this? Is it all just a game for him? He first treats me like the plague, now he's invading my personal space and pushing my buttons. Does he want me to slap him or what?

"Why? Why are you doing this?" I ask because I really don't understand him.

"Because pushing away doesn't work so I need a different approach," he explains matter-of-factly and I roll my eyes in annoyance.

"Can't you just leave me alone? I like that approach better," I complain and he smirks like he did on stage and my breath gets caught in my throat, my heart beating like crazy in my ribcage. He shouldn't smile like that when he's so close!

"But like this is more fun," he insists, that wicked smile still playing on his lips and I have to remind myself to breathe but we are so close that when I inhale I can smell his cologne and it's such a manly scent, earthen and fresh and it drags me even closer. "I'm just testing the waters, that can't be a bad thing. You played a lot with me today already."

"What?" I ask dumbfounded. "When did I do that?"

He chuckles, his eyes looking away briefly, enough to give me time to take a deep breath before his eyes lock with mine again. "It's too late now, I won't let you shake me like that again."

"When did I shake you?!" I exclaim, now I’m feeling irritated because he doesn't make sense.

Instead of replying his thumb goes to my eye and I close it instinctively, protecting my eyesight but he doesn't poke me, he instead just lightly touches the mole on my eyelid before his thumb slides across my eyebrow and then down my face until he grabs my chin between the index and the thumb.

"I really like that mole, and the one on your nose, too. But I think this is the limit," he muses before finally—finally!— stepping back, giving me my precious personal space back. I release the breath I was holding and immediately relax my muscles, but my heart is still beating frantically in my chest.

He gives me one last wicked smile before turning around and walking away. I stay there, standing like an idiot. Not even Min Hyuk is around, he left at some point and I didn't even notice. I rest my hand on my chest, urging my heart to slow down but this one refuses.

I'm not so sure if hiring this band was a good idea. Having Jung Yong Hwa around can't be healthy for me, that’s for sure. 


Sorry I haven't updated in a few days, I've been super busy with Uni and all my assigments. I hope you enjoyed this chapter :D

Fighting!
Bel, xx