Shin Hye

Disillusionment

Seven
Shin Hye

 

It's quite crowded later in the night and it's been great since Min Hyuk and Jung Shin are helping me, and I'm not sure but I think the word that handsome boys are working now at Requiem is getting around because more girls seem to be present tonight. I'm actually grateful, it's good for the business. And as it was still to early for them to play they've decided to make themselves busy. The two younger members are helping me with serving tables, Jong Hyun is preparing the drinks with Appa, turns out that boy had worked as bartender before and I think Appa is trying to get him in working full time here with us. He tries to teach me how to blend drinks but I don't have a perfect sense of taste so I can't really tell whether I'm doing it well or not.

The only remaining member is also helping, away from everyone else. I normally create playlist for the background music and some mixes until the artists of the day have to perform. As we hire bands, we don't have a DJ, so when Yong Hwa saw that opening he requested to fill in, at least for tonight. And it's been good, his music selection is really nice and diverse and everyone seems pleased.

Despite that bad first impression with the leader of the band, it's been quite a good day. The business is doing great, Appa seems happy and the new employees are really delightful to work with. They’re so joyful and energetic and if their appearance is a plus to attract more clients, then they are the best investment we’ve ever made.

At some point, when I'm retrieving the tip and used glasses from a table someone approaches me. The music is loud and all the people talking even louder to be heard make it kind of difficult to notice if someone is calling you if that someone isn't shouting as well. That is why Yong Hwa has to tap my shoulder to get my attention. "Is there a problem?" I ask because I think we agreed we wouldn't bother each other and we would try to stay away from each other's way.

"We are about to perform and I'd like to get back in my clothes, if that's not a problem," he says and I remember he's wearing my appa's clothes. It wouldn't look good if he stands on stage, on his first night, dressed like that. It's different when he's acting as DJ.

"Oh right," I mumble looking for Appa but he's not around so that might be the reason why the leader approached me. Even if he knows where my appa's office is, it's rude of him to just go to retrieve his clothes without asking or notifying someone before. "Come with me," I tell him carrying the tray with me that I leave at the opening between the small kitchen and bar we have where Min Ha works. We don't offer big dishes in the bar, but a kitchen is needed nonetheless even if all the drinks are prepared at the bar itself.

I guide Yong Hwa to my appa's office thinking he might be in there but the place is empty. The clothes are where I left them and when I pick them I notice they are not fully dry but they aren't soaking wet, which is good. I turn on my heels and he's there, his eyes on me watching carefully. There's a weird expression in his face, like he's trying too hard to solve a puzzle that's impossible. The intensity of his gaze makes me feel a bit uncomfortable, my heart even races and my breath itches in my throat. I feel that pull towards him again, that pull that I've tried to ignore since he revealed his true colours. I know he apologised, but still, he acted like that without justification and he didn't even try to explain why he treated me like that out of the blue, he just said sorry.

Could it be that I remind him of someone that hurt him in some way? I've seen in dramas that happening sometimes, it's an irrational process that you can't help at first. Whatever it is, I know there's something between us and although I thought at first it could be the kind of love my parents always talk about, now I believe it's something different. Or maybe it was that for me but as fast as I felt like that, he killed that feeling with his attitude.

"Here are your clothes," I say pushing aside all silly thoughts and I hand him his clothes. When he grabs them he also accidentally touches my hands, startling me with the feeling that goes down my spine, like an electric jolt. It's like when you carry static for dragging your feet and then touch something metallic, but this is not exactly that.

I feel like pulling my hand away but his fingers are on top of mine, grabbing, stopping me. His dark eyes bore into my soul, again with the puzzling expression that is taking my breath away. My heart is officially hammering against my ribs and I feel out of breath, but I can't move even if I know I should force my way out.

"What's with you?" he mumbles, completely confusing me.

"What?" I question back, furrowing my eyebrows in perplexity.

"What's with you?" he repeats but it still doesn't make sense to me. "How do you do this? How do you keep everyone under you spell with just one smile? Are you doing it on purpose? All my mates seem infatuated with you," he muses and my eyes widen in bewilderment. Is he actually thinking that's my doing? That's ridiculous and I bet it is even far fetched.

"You're mad," I accuse him. "I don't even know what you're talking about but there's no way that's my fault or whatever!" I protest, getting angry with him.

I try pulling my hands away but he grabs them tighter and I gasp at his actions, glaring at him.

"How's that you're not conscious of what you're doing? You surely know what I'm talking about. I thought it was only me but the others seem—"

"I don't know what you're talking about!" I cut him off. "And let go of me! What's wrong with you? Did you really get a fever for standing in the rain? Why are you blaming on me that your band mates and I get along? Is that a crime?!" I spat, my temper heating up a notch. "If someone is up to something here that's you who can’t even try to get along with your co-worker! I'm not asking you to be nice but you don't have to blame it on me if your friends can do something you can't."

By the time I finish my rant my breathing is heavy but for a very different reason which isn't his proximity.

I can't believe I actually felt attracted to him at first. How can looks be so deceiving? If I had known his personality was this toxic I would've even looked in his direction. What does he think he is? That because he doesn't like me everyone else should be the same?

Aish, this punk!

"You're really an ," I sneer at him, grinding my teeth. "Now let go of me before I kick you in the shin," I threaten next and that seems to snap him out of whatever train of thoughts he's lost in.

His hands release me and I put as much distance between us as I can't, a look of upmost disdain in my face because I can't stand him right now. He's really despicable and self-centred if he thinks everyone should think the same of the people he don't like.

"From now on, please don't even get near me. You don't like me and I don't like you, so let's avoid moments like this one," I declare trying to be the mature one here. His eyes are still on me as if he's trying to figure me out but there's nothing there he needs to understand, I'm as ordinary as they come, he should just drop the matter.

"How's that—"

"Stop it!" I shout before he can even finish that sentence. I really don't want to know what else he has to say. I don't want to hear him, period. I want to stay as far away from him as possible.

I don't wait for whatever else he could add, I walk past him as fast as I can, praying we won't have to talk ever again.

I'm so disappointed in myself for even thinking I had fallen in love at first sight. I was naive to believe it worked like that. My parents were really lucky because both of them are nice people, but that's not the norm.

Well, I have Jung Yong Hwa to thank for teaching me that love at first sight only leads to disillusionment.


hehehe I love making them bicker like this :D it's so fun.

Fighting, everyone!
Bel, xx