Yong Hwa

Disillusionment

Six

Yong Hwa

 

I'm still in some state of detachment when I turn the faucet on and step under the falling water, my clothes long discarded and hopefully drying. When I was outside I started thinking of Appa and all those times when we would wake up, sure that Omma would come back but it never happened and by the end of the day we would drown his sorrows in alcohol. And I would have to take care of him afterwards. 

I started thinking of Omma, wondering if she was happy, if she knew what she did to Appa and how he was still waiting for her. Wondering if she fell for another guy again, leaving another man just like she left Appa. Wondering if she ever thought of me. 

There, standing under the rain as I am now standing under the shower, I pondered if it was that woman's power over Appa, or it was just that Appa is weak. I certainly don't want to be weak but how do you fight something so weird and irrational and strong? Plus, that girl, the boss' daughter is so… beautiful. I hadn't noticed that mole on her eyelid until she came for me, scolding me for being under the rain. When she was in front of me, looking at me as if I had lost it, I just wanted to kiss that mole. 

Foolish, isn't it?

"Aish!" I cry out with water still falling on me, shaking my head to get rid of those thoughts. 

Strong, I need to be strong and stay away from her. If I get lost in thoughts, I'll let my guard down and I can't afford that. 

"Get a grip, Jung!" I tell myself and take a deep breath. "You're a rational man."

I nod to myself before just showering instead of merely letting the water fall on me. When I finished and wrap the towel around my hips before getting out. In the changing room there is no one else but my wet clothes aren't here anymore. In their place I find folded clothes that clearly are not mine. I take them and they are just simple clothes, a pair of black trousers and a white tee. There are probably a size larger than mine but they are here for me. I wonder if she put them here for me or sent one of my mates, but if it had been one of them then he would've stayed. Yeah, it must have been her. 

I shake my head, not letting her actions affect me and I just put the clothes on. Yeah, they are big on me but at least they are dry. I get out and notice that now there are a few clients, really few, in there. I look for my band mates and they are on stage, checking the instruments. I scan the place again and find her carrying a tray with some drinks for two girls on a table. They have a casual conversation and I wonder if they are regular clients. Once she's done I approach her, even if I don't really want to. I tell myself I don't need to be rude, just professional. Cold. 

"I'm sorry," is the first thing I say to get her attention, she turns around with a confused expression.  She blinks in disbelief when she sees it is me the one apologising. "I was an before and also for being a fool standing under the rain," I explain and her expression is still confused. 

"Yeah, a fool indeed. But about before it's fine. I don't want you to treat me like a princess and I won't be your groupie so you really don't have to worry. In fact, I appreciate if you treat me like any coworker. I don't like special treatment," she says casually, not yelling or scolding like before ore, and she's certainly not glaring at me. 

Then she gives me a soft, kind smile and I feel my heart racing like before, so I take a step back. 

Distance is safety. 

"I'm still sorry. I shouldn't have been that harsh," I insist and her smile widens. 

"Really, it's fine. Just work hard and we won't have a problem. I'll make sure not to bother you." She looks at me from head to toe and doesn't lose her smile, in fact she seems amused. "My appa's clothes really don't suit you but yours are really wet. Let them dry a bit and then you can change. I left them in Appa's office 'cos it's warmer there," she explains and I nod.I knew it had been her. "Well, I have work to do. Fighting!" She says to me shaking her fist and then turning around to leave me there alone. I keep staring at her and notice the deep breath she takes, her shoulders risings and falling notoriously, just like mine. 

Does she also feel this strong pull that it's so hard to fight?

I shake my head and turn on my heels, heading towards my friends who still look at me pissed when I finally join them. I sigh heavily. I know why they are disappointed in me, I acted wrong when she's done nothing wrong. I mean, I don't know if what I feel is her doing or just my weakness showing, even f its the former I don't believe she does it purposely so I can't blame her. So far she's been understanding and kind, so I'm the one at fault for sure. If one of them had acted the way I acted, I would also be pissed.

"I apologised to her, okay? I know I was an and I don't expect you to understand," I explain grabbing my guitar, bringing it close so I can feel at ease. My baby is the only one who will not leave me and I can always trust her to help me convey whatever I want to say. I'm not very good expressing my emotions or thoughts in words, but I can do a better job with music. Or I think I can. 

"Good 'cos nuna is really nice and she didn't deserve that," Min Hyuk says and my eyes widen when he calls her that, so familiar, as if they've been friends since infancy.

"Nuna?" I ask, a bugging feeling in the pit of my guts. 

"Yeah, nuna is a year older than us," Jung Shin explains and I nod. So she's a year younger than me. 

"Oh," I mumble not knowing what else to say, still feeling uncomfortable because they are so close already to call her nuna. For how long was I outside that now they are at that level? Does she just allow them to call her that? And why does it bug me?

I just focus on my guitar, strumming some random chords. It's too early to perform but I don't know what else we can do. The bar barely opened and we don't need to be here this early in the future, but it was pointless to leave and then come back later when we were already here. 

"I'm gonna go see if nuna needs help," Min Hyuk speaks and my head snaps in his direction, my eyes widen in surprise. 

"What?" I ask and he doesn't took perturbed by my reaction.

"Yeah, it's not like I'm actually doing something here, so I better try being productive," he explains standing up behind the drum set and then walking down the stage.

"You're right, I'll help, too," Jung Shin muses putting the bass aside and following Min Hyuk. Jong Hyun and I stay on stage but my eyes follow the two other members.

"Park Shin Hye totally won them over," the other remaining member comments with a smile. "I don't blame them, she's really charming. I think the only one unaffected is you, Yong," he tells me with a shrug but then he smirks. "Right?" 

And with that he stands up, putting his guitar aside and leaves me alone on stage, hearing the last word in my head over and over again. 


Hello! I hope you also liked this chapter. Thank you for all your comments so far and upvotes ad subscriptions! you rock.

Fighting,

Bel, xx