Birthday

When the World Suddenly Shattered

Chapter 3: Birthday

 

Minho woke up in the morning with the alarm on his phone noting that today’s Sulli’s birthday. He needs to prepare everything before dawn comes.

 

He immediately ran to his kitchen and baked a cake. While doing it, he could reminisce Sulli cooking food for him every morning. Now, he’s the one who’s going to do it.

 

Right after he finished baking, he went to the flower shop ordering a bucket of fresh red roses. Then, he immediately proceeded to the hospital with his unstoppable excitement that kept him giggling all the way, although it may seem for others to see like he’s being crazy.

 

He arrived at the hospital on time. As he was nearing Sulli’s room, popping sounds can be heard from the inside. “No, this can’t be happening,” Minho said. He dropped the cake and rose he’s holding, and nervously turned the door knob taking a peek of what’s going on.

 

“Sulli, today’s your birthday and you’re already twenty-nine. Look at what you’ve got now,” Luhan said and then Minho had to close the door unnoticed. He fell on his knees.

After few minutes of realization what’s actually going on, he managed to get his feet up with his trembling hands holding on the wall. He just left.

------------

 

 

“Oh Sulli, I’m sorry, because of rushing, I forgot to buy you a cake. I’ll just go out and buy one for you okay?” Luhan said and went out surprised to see a bucket of red roses and probably a box of cake on the floor.

Luhan had to think, “Who could be the one leaving it here?” Luhan opened the box and smirked. He anticipated that it was for Sulli anyway. He got the cake and the other as he entered the room again.

 

“Look what I have?” he said making both Sulli and Victoria who’s also with them, turn their attention to him.

 

Sulli feels so happy. She never thought of receiving a present from others. She just hopes that she could take her memories back. Perhaps, she wonders how cake tastes.

 

“Wow! Luhan, this is homemade, did you do it?” asked Victoria with her glittering eyes.

 

“A-ah, does it taste awful?” asked Luhan otherwise.

 

“Nope, it really tastes so good that I couldn’t be full with a dozen of slices,” said Victoria laughing, “Ah, Dr. Choi will be coming for today for the results of the tests,” she added.

 

“Oh, that should be good,” remarked Luhan.

----------------------------------------------

It’s been 10 o’clock that Minho finally decided to compose himself. He can’t be idling specially that the situation is much more crucial that he never imagined. He entered Sulli’s room expecting Luhan to be there, still, of course.

 

“Dr. Choi. It’s nice to see you, do you want to try the cake that Luhan brought. It really tastes so great and I thought it’d be good leaving a spare for you,” said Sulli like an innocent child who never knew the world.

 

Minho smirked deep inside. “Luhan brought?” he thought, “Well, saying it tastes great might be enough,” he added.

 

“Ah, yeah, Happy Birthday Sulli! Time ran fast, right? But… how grateful you are to be able to be in our sight again. Nobody thought it could be a hundred percent possible—“ said Minho as Luhan cut in.

 

“What do the tests say doctor?” asked Luhan. Minho heaved and said, “What happened to you was sure amnesia and sadly, we are not assured if your memories can still come back. Maybe a little will, but we aren’t sure all can return. We also don’t know when it will happen. All I can advice as to how is by guiding her and probably, make her feel the things she used to do,” said Minho looking directly at Sulli’s teary eyes.

 

“Together with hard work, we need to have a hope that the right things will happen and believe it,” said Minho stepping forward towards Sulli.

“Yes doctor, I will do all my best to help Sulli,” said Luhan, probably trying to cause nuisance on half of it.

“Patience,” Minho whispered.

“I will, too. Like I always do, I’ll never give up on you… and Luhan… I would like you to know that I never gave up on her even before she opened her eyes,” said Minho ignoring Sulli’s froning confusion and Victoria’s mere presence.

 

“Ah, I bought a pair of beige rubber shoes for you. It’s your favorite color and you are fond of that design the most years ago,” said Minho turning his attention.

 

“Wow! I wonder if it still fits me,” said Sulli excitedly, “Can I wear it now?” she asked.

 

“Sure you could,” said Minho smiling.

Sulli got the right shoe and put in on her right foot, but she stopped when she looked at the lace. Minho noticed it and asked her what’s wrong.

 

“I-I don’t know what to do about this thing,” said Sulli sadly.

“No need to feel sad, I will teach you,” said Luhan speaking at once. Minho clenched a fist and heaved with a sound.

 

“I’d rather buy you a new pair of shoes without laces next time,” said Minho but Sulli immediately spoke up.

 

“No need, doctor. Perhaps, Luhan is teaching me how to do the laces so I can wear this pair of shoes. And you said that this is my favorite right? I wonder if this could help me recall my memories,” said Sulli innocently. Minho would neither feel angry nor relieved.

 

“Doctor, can I bring Sulli out of the hospital?” asked Luhan smiling.

 

“No you couldn’t. Some test results haven’t come out yet,” replied Minho right after Luhan finished his statement.

 

Sulli spoke up again, “Dr. Choi…. I…I just want to thank you for taking care of me. I learned that I’ve been in this bed for eight years having you been my doctor. Thank you so much,” said Sulli bowing her head.

 

Hearing Sulli call him Dr. Choi perhaps hurts Minho’s pang. “There’s no need. It’s not because of my obligation but because, I am willed to do it for you and still, I am,” said Minho staring earnestly at Sulli.

 

“Dr. Minho….. d-do you h-happen to be on my past?” asked Sulli and then a tear immediately dropped from Minho’s eye. That confirms it, and Sulli covered .

 

“I’m sorry. I’m really sorry,” she said bowing again. Victoria made her presence made known; she hasn’t been speaking a word since Minho came in.

 

“Sulli… I guess, I should be the one to let you know this. Perhaps, Minho is being too coward and it might be too late for him to be brave. Sulli, you were once lovers,” said Victoria and Luhan went out.

 

Minho finally spoke up with a tear came after a tear from his eyes.

“More than eight years ago, I asked you if we can be together and you told me… that you should give me your answer after three days… I waited for three days only to have found out that in the thirds day, you had that unbearable accident,” said Minho.

Sulli just stared at Minho and didn’t notice that tears came flowing from her eyes after hearing what Minho said.

-----------------------------------

 

I'm sorry if I have to put Luhan as the antagonist here, but I have no choice. Anyhow, there's still a part of him in this story portraying his good side.

Thank you for reading! I'll be updating tomorrow;-)