Waiting

When the World Suddenly Shattered

Chapter 1: Waiting

Minho’s been walking back and forth the operating room. He confirmed that it was Sulli who really got in the accident, it’s no mistake. The car she was fell on the 100-meter ravine, and luckily, she was able to survive after the medics only responded at least three hours after the accident because of the heavy rain and strong winds brought by the typhoon.

                       

Today is the day Sulli should tell her answer to Minho and Minho has never felt excited and nervous not after he learned what happened. That excitement was replaced with restlessness, hopefulness and so much worry.

 

Suddenly, the doctor broke in his thoughts as Kyungsoo also arrived at the same time.

“May I know the patients family?” the old-looking doctor with bald head asked.

Minho can’t talk.

“We’re her close friends,” Kyungsoo replied still catching his breath.

 

“In any case, I’m glad to tell you that the operation on her head was successful. Though, we still need to have another operation on her chest part after few days and we also need to run some tests. It will surely take a long time for her to wake up since the essential part of her head was definitely affected but at least, she can wake up after three days,” said the doctor and left both of them.

 

A thorn was removed from Minho’s chest. Minho patiently waited for Sulli to wake up until the third day, but she didn’t wake up. He waited for another four days equal to one week but she still did not wake up.

Until one week became a month and then a month after the other. Her chest operation went successful though her condition was not really well. Tests made have shown that nothing was probably wrong but she’s still not waking up. She ended up in a coma.

Though Sulli’s situation was unbearable, Minho’s world still needs to rotate. He is continuing his studies and every day, he goes to the hospital checking on her.

------------------------

Months became years. Years of Sulli having been on her deep sleep.

 

“Sulli, you can hear me, right? I know you can… This is the day you’ve been dreaming to happen. Look, I have this diploma saying I’ve completed Bachelor of Science in Medicine…. I-I e-even got this medal because our professor told me I did my best… Sulli, please wake up….y-you were the one who helped me to find myself and you pushed me on no matter how I gave up on myself. Sulli.. y-you were strong right? Fight it..coz’ I’m always here waiting and I’ll never leave you alone,” cried Minho as he was holding Sulli’s left hand with his gold medal. Minho’s talking like he’s crazy. He always talks with Sulli  though he knew she can’t hear him but he knew it’s the least thing he can do.

 

It’s already three years Sulli’s been in coma and for three years without Sulli, Minho was able to finish his studies that Sulli should’ve also done.  It’s so pitiful.

 

---------------------------------

“Sulli, guess what I have with me right now,” Minho said shaking with tears on his eyes as he held Sulli’s hand and put a small rectangular hard material.

 

“Do you feel it? I’ve got a license. I passed the licensure exams and you know, I’m one of the top notchers Sulli. Are you happy for me? Well, you should, coz’ when you’ve woke up, I’ll take you to your favorite restaurant and we’ll eat as much as we can. Look at you, you’ve gone to be so really thin and I don’t want to hug you anymore,” cried Minho. Again, he seems just to be talking alone in front of Sulli’s body on the bed.

 

------------------------------------

Minho became a professional doctor and having great credentials on college made an easy way for him to get an employment at first. He became so famous since at his young age on the industry, he was able to treat hundreds of patients; he performed lots of successful operations, and he even discovered medicines that would cure several unknown pandemic outbreaks that the world has ever known with no hope of survival. Any man would think he is really successful but sadly, Minho does not think like that. He considers himself a failure.

 

“How do they say I’m successful when I can’t even treat you?” cried Minho, again sitting on the chair in front of Sulli while holding her hand.

 

 

“Eight years...” he said on the cold atmosphere, “It’s been eight years since you weren’t able to open your eyes. Isn’t it time for you to wake up already?”

 

-----------------------------------------------

 

“Where am I?” she asked, “All that seems to be around me is darkness.”

 

“I can only see darkness though I’ve lost sight on this world,” she said crying on her sleep.

 

“Yah! Sulli! Wake up! Please!” shouted Victoria as she saw a tear after another flowing from Sulli’s closed eyes.

 

Finally, Sulli opened her eyes. At first, it was blurry until visible face of a woman appeared right to her eyes. She was smiling with her red teary eyes probably from joy and then he called out for nurse.

 

“W-where am I? What am I doing here?” Sulli asked softly as she was trying to speak.

 

“Sulli! Thank God you finally woke up!” greeted Victoria joyfully but that immediately changed.

 

 

“W-who are you?” Sulli voiced out.

Victoria had to blink an eye. “What exactly happened to Sulli? It can’t be….” she thought.

 

“Sulli, I’m Victoria, you know me very well,” she said crying.

 

“I-I’m S-Sulli a-and you… you are  Vi…Victoria?” she asked like she really doesn’t know her.

 

“Don’t worry Sulli, everything will be alright? Your doctor will arrive,” said Victoria and then Minho came rushing to hug Sulli.  Minho let go with at least 12 inch gap from his face and Sulli’s.

 

“D-do I know you?” Sulli asked.

Those words echoed at Minho again.

“D-do I know you?” those words of hers are the hardest to digest.

 

“Ah, you must be my doctor, are you?” she asked again leaving a tear after another from Minho’s eyes. He didn’t say a word.

 

“Minho…” said Victoria with a caring tone.

 

“Ah, so you might be Minho. I’m sorry, I can’t remember you,” said Sulli smiling.

 

It could be no more than joy of seeing a friend and then immediately replaced to such pain.

The thought Sulli is asking “Do I know you?” and saying “I can’t remember you” seemed to be an acid that penetrated Minho’s heart slowly.

 

Minho stood up properly and had to wipe his tears with his white coat.

“You can’t remember a thing, can you?” he asked trying to compose himself.

 

“Yes?” she simply replied.

The next words seemed to have ripped Minho’s heart otherwise.

“Y-you p-probably have amnesia,” he said and left crying as he can’t take it anymore.

 

After a minute, a nurse entered the room and said, “Dr. Choi told me to inform you that after ten minutes, we’ll have to run some tests for you.”