Chapter 26

Only You

Jessica's POV

The week went on smoothly. And a little too fast.
Taeyeon and Tiffany are back together. 
Sooyoung is Sooyoung.
And Sunny, always with Hyomin and her games.

Soon, there was only one day left before Yuri's operation.
She requested that I sleep with her that night. And I myself, wanted to so, I did.

...

Yuri got up from her bed when she suddenly sat back down and slowly clutched her head.

"Yul... are you okay?" I asked, fear overcoming me.

"My head. It's burning..." her voice was quivering.
I got up immediately, taking her cup of water and her bottle of pills.
When I turned back to her, she was already sitting on the floor, leaning against the side of the bed, both her hands clutching the sides of her head.
She was sweating profusely and her hands were shivering.

After she ate it with my help, I put the bottle and the cup aside.
She remained in her position for a while as I wiped her sweat for her.

Her eyes were red and watery.
She wrapped her arms around me, resting her head on my shoulder.

"Yuri..."
I could feel my shirt getting wet.
Tears.

At that time, I feel so helpless and useless.

I held her tight, not wanting to lose her. 
Just the thought of losing her made me break into tears.

"Why are you crying?" she asked as she looked up at me.
I saw her wincing and gulping.
The pain was still there?

"I don't want to lose you, Yuri.
"I'm not going anywhere, Sica baby. It's only a few more hours to my operation. I will be okay after that.

Why are you the one comforting me when it should be the other way round?

She took another pill before we went to sleep. Before she went to sleep.
I didn't sleep. I couldn't stop worrying about her.
Although she was breathing and sleeping peacefully, I still couldn't bring myself to sleep.

I want to be awake and make sure she doesn't leave me in her sleep.
It's absurd, I know. But I was afraid.

 

Yuri's POV

The sharp pain attacked me so suddenly.

I was getting up from bed to take my medicine when it stabbed me again. More violently. Causing me to fall on the bed.
My hand automatically grabbed my head.

"Yul... Are you okay?
"My head. It's burning..." it hurts more when I talk.

I felt the bed lightened on the other side. Sica had went to take my painkillers for me.

The pain was throbbing.
I slide down from the bed and crouched on the floor, unaware of my own actions.
Leaning against the bedside, I pressed my head with both my hands.
My teeth gritted and my eyes squinted as the heat spread to my face and my neck.

The painkiller didn't fully end the pain.
The after-effects of the pain was making me dizzy.

I reached out for Sica, embracing her, and laid my head on her chest.

I don't want you to see me like this, Sica.
I don't want you to see me weak.
I don't want to make you worry.

Unknowingly, tears started flowing from my eyes.

"Yuri..." she whispered as she tightened her hug.
I heard her sobbing.

It hurts me to see you worried for me.

"Why are you crying?" I asked stupidly, looking up at her. I winced in the process due to a small prick.
Of course she's crying for me.

"I don't want to lose you, Yuri." those words that came out from shattered me into pieces.
"I'm not going anywhere, Sica baby." I swallowed back the tears that were about to pour out. "It's only a few more hours to my operation. I'll be okay after that.

I tried to make it sound as convincing as possible.
Truth is, I don't know if I will survive it.

 

Jessica's POV

The next day started off well.
Since I didn't sleep, I helped her mom prepare breakfast for her.
She woke up with a smile on her face.
I was guessing the pain didn't wake up with her.

"Are you going to be with me throughout my operation later?" Yuri asked as she encircled her arms around my waist.
"Of course I am. I will never leave your side, Yuri." I kissed the tip of her nose and pushed her to the chair.
"As if you're allowed to." she said, knowing the fact that nobody is allowed in the operation room.
"I know. But I'll be waiting outside."

We had our breakfast and left to the hospital early.

 

Taeyeon's POV

"I can't believe Yuri's already going for her operation later. It's seems too fast.

We were in the bus on our way to the hospital. Me and Tiffany. 

"You have said that quite a few times, Tae. Don't worry. It'll go well." she gave me her bright eye smile, which immediately soothened my worried heart.

I held onto her hands tighter.

"You are always cheering me up. Aren't you tired?"
"Why would I get tired? I'd do anything just to see you happy, Tae." her voice was calm and soothing.
"Aww. Stop being cheesy."
"You're the one who made me say that." she hit my lap, leaving a stinging pain.

I cried in pain, rubbing the spot. 
"Can't you hit any harder?" I asked, sarcastically.
"Oh, I can." she lifted her hand to hit me again.
"Ah no no no! I was just joking." I caught her wrist before her palm could land on my lap again.

She chuckled cutely and placed her hand on my lap. At the spot where she hit.
I flinched as she was increasing the stinging pain which instantly disappeared when she leaned in closer to me and fixed her eyes on mine, alluring me to her.

I closed the gap between us, letting our lips touch.
Since we were sitting at the back of the bus, and nobody saw us, I took the opportunity and deepened the kiss.

"I miss your lips." I smiled at her, kissing her again.

 

Yuri's POV

At the hospital, all of them came to visit me.

"Yuri ah. Stay strong throughout the operation okay?" Sooyoung came up to me with a sandwich in her hand.
"I won't be awake during the operation, babo shikshin." I jutted her head before pulling her into a hug.
"Oh. How do you expect me to know?? Ya ya ya okay, my sandwich is being sandwiched." Sooyoung patted my back and broke the hug.

"Taeyeon, my friend. Take care of SIca for me, okay?" I patted her head, teasing her short height for one last time.
"Hey, don't say like that. You promised to return for us. For her." she shoved my hand away from her head and rubbed my arm.

I hugged the rest and lastly, Sica.

"Hey, cheer up. I will be back." I poked her cheeks, forcing a smile out of her.
"Promise?" she held out her pinky, causing me to laugh at her.
"Seriously?
"I am serious. Promise me." she frowned and pouted. Those two always come together.
"Yes, I promise. And please, Sica. Stop pouting." I intertwined my pinky with hers.
"Just admit that you love it, Kwon." she pouted again. This time, cutely.

Then, the doctor came.

"Kwon Yuri. Are you ready?" he asked and my heart started to beat faster.
"Neh."

I turned back to Sica and kissed her forehead for the last time.
Or so I thought.

I waved to everybody before going into the operation theatre with the doctor.

The room was dim.
It was just like how I imagined it would be.

I sat on the metal "bed" as instructed. 
The nurse came with a shaver. 

Is a shaver necessary for an operation??

She plugged it into the socket, switching it on and brought the shaver near my head.

"Hey, wait! What are you doing?" her actions were confusing me and I had to ask.
"How do we cut your head if there's hair?"

How come I wasn't warned about this??

I sighed in defeat and watched as my long hair fall to the ground.

It doesn't matter if I'm bald as long as I'm cured.

Another nurse came in with a mini vacuum and cleared all the hair on the floor.
Another came in with a tray of tools.
Then, the surgeon came in.

I was then asked to lay down on the "bed". 
The cold metal sent shivers through my body.

They all wore the same set of clothes, I didn't know which was the surgeon. 
They were all covered with blue "gown", a white mask, and a blue cap which looked like a shower cap. And all were wearing gloves.

One of the man came up beside me, to where the tools were. 
He handled the syringe, putting a doze of liquid into it, and then turned to me.
Must be the surgeon.

"Take in a deep breath and count backwards from ten to zero. Slowly." 

I closed my eyes, took in a deep breath, and started counting.

"Ten... Nine...."

"Eight." I felt something sharp pricking into my skin on my arm. Ouch.

"Seven.... Six...." then, everything around me started to blur.

"Five." everything blackened. It was like falling asleep.

 

Tiffany's POV

The operation went on for hours. We waited outside, praying hard for everything to go smoothly.
Jessica was dozing off.
Sooyoung and Hyoyeon kept going to the shop for food.
Taeyeon was just sitting with me, peeping through the glass window every once in a while. Although the curtains were drawn and it was impossible for us to see anything.

After long intensive hours, the surgeon came out from the theater.
"Jess." I tapped her shoulder a few times. Surprisingly, she could wake up immediately.

The doctor walked towards us, removing his gloves and opening his mask.
We were then able to see his face.
He was bearing an unusual expression. One that does not show a good sign.

Did it not went well?

We surrounded the tired-looking man.

"The tumor has been removed successfully. She's alive." he told us the news we have been waiting for. And we all sighed, relieved.

"But." But. He spoke out the word that we didn't want to hear.

 

 

TBC

 

heheh. cliffhanger..... xP

will update soon! :D

THANKS!!!! <3