☂ - -Sparks

Suguk Homestay

The other students are already starting their winter break while Kyungsoo is at the hospital by seven AM to start her ‘extended’ training. She woke up groggily and heads to the hospital with an unhappy air surrounding her. She changes into her uniform at the locker room then makes her way to the emergency room which is not so hectic at the moment thank goodness.

“Ms. Do!” Nurse Rin calls from the reception of the Emergency Room, “Bring the first aid supplies to bed 20.”

“Ok!” Kyungsoo answers and runs to the supplies room to fetch the said things. She puts them all on a cart and hurriedly pushes it to bed 20.

The patient, a young man, on bed 20 is wailing in pain. She immediately prepares the cottons and disinfectant for the doctor to use.

“This will hurt just a little.” The doctor said in a comforting voice before dabbing the cotton on the patient’s wound gently. It’s quite big and Kyungsoo can only cringe inwardly at the pain that the patient is experiencing.

It ended quickly, the wound now closed with gauze. His guardian is led to the reception to fill up some papers so the patient can be discharged early.

“Yah, Do Kyungsoo.” A man called behind her.

The said girl frowned at this. She doesn’t recognize the voice ticking her off immediately. And it’s a guy’s; this might be another erted patient.

No honorifics even? Who the hell is this?

Kyungsoo turned around only to see Dr. Lee looking at her with a smile. Her bad thoughts flew away slowly as she stares at his smile, his face…then something clicks inside of her. The sudden jolt of her heart gives it a sign. It was too sudden.

“Don’t stare at me, I’m going to melt.” Dr. Lee says jokes and chuckles.

 “Holy .”

“Yah, we’re in a hospital.”

“Lee… Seunghoon? Seunghoon-ssi?” Kyungsoo tries.

“The one and only~” Dr.Lee—Seunghoon sing-songs happily, “Took you long enough.”

Kyungsoo stares at the latter.

“I’m quite offended, though, that when I first saw you I immediately recognized you. But you? Really now.” Seunghoon shakes his head.

“I-I’m sorry! You changed a lot! You were so… not so tall back then!” Kyungsoo exclaims.

“What!”

Kyungsoo realized what she just said and laughs, “I’m sorry, but hey, you’ve gotten unbelievably tall and your voice…are you really Seunghoon-ssi?”

The said man smiles, “The one and only!” he exclaims, “We should hang out sometime, catch up with our lives?”

“Sure, why not?” the nurse answers with a smile, “I’ll be off early. How about you, though?”

“I’ll be out at three PM.”

Kyungsoo pouts, “I’m thirty-minutes after you, wait for me at the lobby?”

Seunghoon nods, “Alright. See you!”

The nurse returns the first aid supplies back to the supplies room. Suddenly, Jihyo comes to her side with a frown.

“You’re hogging all the cute boys around! First, Luhan, now Dr. Lee! How do you do that?”

“We’re friends back in middle school. It just so happened that the people I know are good looking.” Kyungsoo says nonchalantly and heads out with Jihyo still next to her.

“I’m so jealous of you!”

Kyungsoo smiles, “Even there are handsome boys around me, I only find one the most handsome—“

“EW CHEESE ALERT!” Jihyo exclaims and they both laughed.

 

 

Kyungsoo heads to the locker room as soon as the clock strikes three-thirty PM. All throughout the day, she can’t help but to think if he really is Seunghoon and wonders why he is suddenly back. Well, it’s not like he can’t come back but really, it has been too long.

She bites onto her lower lip as her mind runs back to her second year in middle school. She remembers her friend Yuna who asked to seat with her crush in the canteen since there are no other seats available. There, she sat across Seunghoon, who she so happens to have a crush with.

The table was noisy except for them. They ate in silence. Suddenly, Seunghoon looks up at her and gave her a smile. Kyungsoo’s heart jumped and she immediately bowed her head to hide her beet red face.

“Don’t you eat peas?” Seunghoon asks, pointing at the green beads at the side of her plate.

Kyungsoo shook her head, “I don’t like them. They look like booger.”

The latter laughs at this, “Wow, that’s…interesting. Why don’t you try tasting it? I eat peas and they don’t taste bad at all!”

Kyungsoo tilts her head to the side unknowingly and gives herself a little taste of the peas. She chewed for a moment with Seunghoon staring at her, waiting for her reaction. She nods and looks at the latter with a smile.

“You know what, you’re right. Thank you for telling me.” She said greatfully, “My eomma won’t be mad at me anymore.”

Seunghoon grinned, “I’m glad to help!”

They didn’t talk at a daily basis, especially when they’re around their own group of friends. But when they catch each other’s stares, they would hold it as long as they can see each other, it’s like a mutual understanding other people couldn’t easily break. Sometimes, when they catch each other in the afternoon, they would talk for a long time. Seunghoon was a year higher than Kyungsoo, even so, they’re at the same height.

When their semestral break came, Kyungsoo was sad because she won’t be able to talk to Seunghoon, but that’s ok, they’ll see each other next semester. She was happy too because Seunghoon admitted that he kind of likes her before they head home. Now, she’s going to wait for the next semester with a happy heart.

When the next semester came, she heard from Seunghoon’s friends that he suddenly disappeared. His name wasn’t on the section list and he didn’t even say goodbye to anyone. Kyungsoo went home that day, crying. She never had a chance to tell him that she felt the same way.

It’s a thing of the past now though. Kyungsoo had thankfully got over him. Her feelings for Seunghoon have reached till her second year in high school but her ex-boyfriend came and so has Jongin.

Seunghoon is seating at the lobby of the hospital holding a can of cold coffee from the vending machine.

“Seunghoon-ssi!” Kyungsoo calls, “come on.”

The latter immediately stands and falls in step with her then shoots the can in the nearest trash bin.

“Show off.” The nurse jokes making Seunghoon laugh.

“How are you?” Seunghoon asks, “Nursing field, really?”

“Yeah, you know I wanted to be a nurse ever since.” Kyungsoo answers, “I thought you’d be taking Business administration?”

The latter nods, “I did, I just dropped out and now, we’re in the same year.” Seunghoon answers.

“What? Then why doctor?”

“Where’d you like to eat first?”

“KFC.”

“Alright,” they enter the nearest mall and locate KFC at the second floor. They placed their orders before finding a table for two by the end of the restaurant.

“Answer me now.” Kyungsoo prods.

“It’s because I wanted to be one. I realized after the end of my first year in business ad that I’m not for this so I chose to be a doctor! My parents were glad that I had the crisis at an early year. I thought they’d be mad, really.”

Kyungsoo nods.

Silence came over them, not knowing what to say for a moment. But Kyungsoo wanted to ask something, ask why Seunghoon left without a notice to anyone, to her. She doesn’t want to ruin the moment though; they’re thankfully not awkard, which she thought would happen.

“I heard that your friend Yuna and her middle school crush, Seokjin, ended up together.”

“What?! Where—How…?”

Seunghoon laughed, “Apparently, Seokjin found my Facebook. When I opened my Facebook the other day, his relationship status is engaged with Yuna.  I was surprised. Yuna grew up to be a gorgeous girl.”

“She’s a model now. Quite famous actually.” Kyungsoo says, “I’m happy for her. Ah, after all the hard work back then.”

“What do you mean?”

“Yuna had the biggest crush on Seokjin ever since middle school!”

“Really? That’s a scoop!” Seunghoon exclaims making Kyungsoo laugh this time, “What?”

“Isn’t that a girl’s work?”

The doctor grins, “Well…I’d just like to see Seokjin get flustered. He easily gets embarrassed.”

“That’s so cute!” Kyungsoo exclaims.

“I want to ask you something. There’s this one thing that still bugs me.” Seunghoon says making the nurse suddenly nervous. She braces herself for the question, her hands clenching around the straps of her bag.

The doctor leans in and squints his eyes, as if inspecting the other, “Why are you still calling me Seunghoon-ssi? Really, Kyungsoo? Really?”

Kyungsoo sighed in relief, “What would you want me to call you then?”

“Call me oppa. I deserve the honorifics! I’m older than you by two years!”

“Oppa? Wow I can’t believe I’m going to give into you. Fine, Seunghoon oppa it is.”

Seunghoon grins and pats Kyungsoo on the head, “Good.”

Their food came finally and they started eating, taking time into plowing the food from their plates as they catch up with each other’s life. They even ordered a bucket of fries and another order of KFC Krushers after finishing their first order and before they knew it, the sun has already set.

“Thanks for the day. And the fries.” Kyungsoo says happily, “I’m so full!”

“No problem.” Seunghoon says, “Thanks too, I thought I wouldn’t have a chance to talk to Nurse Do. I heard some guy nurses talk about you.” He winks mischievously, “You’re quite popular huh?”

Kyungsoo blushed, “What the hell are you talking about?”

The streets are unusually quiet at this hour. The sun has set early because of the cold weather and people are enjoying the warmth of their houses.

“Say, Seunghoon oppa,” Kyungsoo started, “Why did you leave?”

It was silence that answered her. She started getting nervous; maybe she touched a bad subject. She shouldn’t have—

“My parents almost separated.” Seunghoon answered in time, “My eomma left the house first. I was with her and we settled here in Seoul. After a few months, they reunited and attended counseling. I’m glad they could patch things up.”

“I-I’m sorry for asking.”

They stopped somewhere in front of a brightly lit convenience store when Kyungsoo noticed that Seunghoon isn’t walking. The latter took a step close to her and drops his head on her shoulder. Kyungsoo’s heart stopped at the action, her airways clogged and she can’t seem to fathom the moment.

“Don’t say sorry. I was the one who is supposed to be sorry. And it’s ok, you deserve to know it.” Seunghoon says, his voice slightly muffled.

Kyungsoo is speechless at the moment. Her heart starts to swell; she doesn’t know what to feel, how to feel about this. She had waited for more than seven years but now that she has already someone she likes—loves, Seunghoon suddenly comes crashing in like a tsunami.

You’re so unfair, Seunghoon oppa.

Tears welled up in her eyes; she wipes them away before it falls down her cheeks.

“I want to be with my eomma that’s why I moved with her in Seoul. But I still want to see you back then. You know, I was planning to say goodbye to you before we leave but my eomma was hurrying me so I never had a chance.”

Kyungsoo sniffed and places a hand on his head, “I understand. You know what, too? In the second sem of our second year, I was planning to tell you I like you too…but you left so…I never had a chance to tell you.” She says, her voice slightly quivering as she threads her hand through his hair, the scent of his shampoo making her feel nostalgic.

“I’m sorry, Kyungsoo-ah.” Seunghoon mumbles, finally breaking Kyungsoo apart, “Hey, please don’t cry! I’m trying to hold mine!” he says with a soft chuckle. He holds her hand, squeezes it and finally lifts his head to wipe away Kyungsoo’s tears, “It’s late.”

The nurse nods, trying to smile again, “We just met and you really have to make me cry! I hate you!” they both laughed, “There’s my stop.” She points at the bus stop behind her with her thumb.

“Alright, see you tomorrow.” Seunghoon finally let go and waves goodbye. They turned their backs in unison and start to walk on their own way.

 

__________

a/n:

word count: 2 000~ hell yeah.

as ive mentioned, i made a pretty long chapter for chapter 12.
this was already made but it just took me long to post since i
got quite busy. anyway, i hope you guys liked this chapter. for
those who doesnt know who Lee Seunghoon is, he is from the
boy group WINNER. here he is yas:

i hope you guys liked this chapter! comments are il-baek percent
appreciated!! < 3 xo