Lesson 9

Teach Me: How to Love

Lesson 9

 

Jessica Jung

 

“Jessica. Are you listening?” A voice faintly went into my ears.


 

“Oh.” I turned to Chanyeol who was sitting next to me on the bus, “Yes. I dazed off looking at the street. Sorry.” He smiled nicely and told me that is fine.


 

I lied. I was thinking about what Kris had told me last night. I couldn’t say anything after he told me, so he left me sometimes to think about it.


 

“Would you like to get some coffee first?” Chanyeol asked politely.


 

“Sure” I sound tired.


 

We chit chat our way down the busy street. I try to stay focus on the topic, but my mouth is so tired. I just nodded and smiled in response.  It was a promised date with Chanyeol. I couldn’t understand myself why I was solemn.


 

As we walked into the movie theater with an almost finished ice cream cup in our hand, Chanyeol excused himself to use the washroom.


 

I sighed standing in the middle of the crowd and shoveled a last spoonful of ice cream into my mouth. I felt the coldness hit my tongue, then the air through my nose.


 

I looked up searching for a trash can, until Luhan’s walk caught my eyes. He stop right in front of me. A little bit too close, but it was too crowded for me to back away.


 

“What are you doing here?” I questioned.


 

“Watch a movie.” He trolled.


 

“This is a date. I promised Chanyeol, so don’t interfere. Ok?”


 

He pouted, “I know. I know.”

 

“Go back.” I commanded.


 

“I have to stay near you.” He rolled his eyes. “You gave me your wish. Now I will make it happen.”


 

“But I...”


 

“I will stay away from the two of you.” He shuffled my hair and smile brightly, “good luck.” Before I can respond he disappeared in the crowd.


 

“Let’s go in.” LIke they are in sync, Chanyeol reappear before me. “Here is the movie ticket.” He hand me the thin paper.


 

I searched for Luhan in the crowd but he was no where to be found. We enter the dark movie theater with a light hearted conversation. Chanyeol would make a perfect lover. I attempt to raise my heartbeats by sitting closer to him. I really wish I can be in love, so Luhan can be set free.


 

I couldn’t bear the way Luhan looks at me. The water bright eyes, the soft warm cheeks, the tall thin nose and  those gentle lips that forms a melting smile. Quickly, my imagination constructed an imaginary Luhan in front of me. He smiled at me and gently extended his hand towards me. His perfect hand trace the side of my face and moved the side of my hair behind my ear.


 

Like a lost deer, I felt my heart raised like the beating drum. I thought it might have pump to a stop. Imaginary Luhan lean towards me. His bright brown eyes looks at my lips and made eye contact with me again. As if he asked for my permission, he closed his eyes. I closed mines waiting for his warm lips touch upon mines.


 

Suddenly, a scream breaks out in the movie theater. I opened my eyes from the shock. Chanyeol’s face was inches away from mines. Our noses were going to touch each other’s. I quickly move back from the drop of the heart.


 

“Don’t hit him!” The stranger’s voice turns everyone’s head. The movie was suddenly stopped by the unexpected event. The light was turn on in the dark movie theater. Chanyeol stood up from his seat. He looks over the crowd.


 

“Hey, Jessica. Isn’t that Luhan?”


 

I jumped up from my seat and navigated through my route quickly. Only find another man pinning Luhan to the floor. His fist striking Luhan’s face again and again. Luhan didn’t fight back despite the painfulness show on his face.



 

“Yah.” I tried to cover Luhan as Chanyeol pulled the other man away.


 

With my thumb, I wipe the blood off Luhan’s face. “Are you feeling ok?” I can feel my eyes warms up from the pain.


 

“DON’T LET ME SEE YOU AGAIN!” The man screamed and pushed Chanyeol away.  He stormed out the movie theater. We were later asked to leave due to the fight. Chanyeol offer to drive us back to the hotel, but Luhan wanted a walk.


 

So I followed him as he kicked along the river.


 

He stopped as the wind blow against his shirt. He turned around and yelled over the strong wind. “Why are you following me?”


 

I walked towards him step by step. I can see his eyes filled with tears. I touched the purpled spot on his face. “I never thought an angel would get bruises. “


 

“It will heal. Don’t worry go back to the hotel.” He replied in a softer voice. The wind didn’t stop.


 

“You have to be by my side.”


 

He shakes his head and finally breaks down, “I can’t do this.” The tears roll down his eyes like crystals. I heard my heart clenched.


 

“What’s wro...” I took a step closer.


 

Luhan took two more step back, “You don’t want to know. Jessica.”


 

“I want to know. I want to know more about you.” I felt my heart race in fear. It is more in fear of losing him.


 

He paused for a long time, “That man in the theater today. He is the one who beat me up the first time we met on the elevator.” I nodded remembering the day we met.


 

“That man was my father.”