Lesson 11

Teach Me: How to Love

Lesson 11

 

Jessica Jung

 

“Morning Jessica!” Chanyeol opened the door with a surprised smile on his face. As if I was a celebrity, his eyes glow with delight. “What bring you here?”


 

I looked around the hotel hallway, standing in front of his room. “Well. I want to apologize about what happen yesterday.”


 

“It’s ok. I understand.” He answered nicely. “He is your family. I understand.” His smile seems unnatural and focused.


 

“How about join me for breakfast today? Would that make up for it?”


 

He seems startled by my request, but quickly come back to reality. “Yes.” He panicked a little. “I will be right now.”


 

“I wait for you down stair. Table 20.” I nodded as he sent me off with a bright smile.


 

I waited by the elevator. Luhan must have wandered off somewhere on the rooftop. I scanned myself though the reflection of elevator door. A white polka dot dress and yellow wedges stared right back at me. I didn’t even remember choosing these clothes this morning, because of a business call. Now that I think about it, I have never look so girly in years.


 

The elevator door slide open. With a right on eye contact, Kris is standing right across me.  His eyes widen at my sudden appearance. I looked away quickly and enter the empty elevator.  With him standing by me, I felt a bit uncomfortable.


 

Especially after he had confessed to me made things even more awkward between us.


 

“You look nice today.” His settle voice broke the silence.


 

“Thank you.” I answered without turning to him.


 

“Jess.” He suddenly called my old nickname.

 

“uh?” I answered quietly.


 

“Do you think you can bring me to my child’s grave?” I heard my heart shaken. It’s more than shock and confuse. “I hope I can have a chance for that.” I paused for a long time. We didn’t exchange words, until the elevator arrive at Floor level.


 

“I will meet you at 12 by the lobby.” After I answered him, I walked out the elevator. Kris didn’t get off and the door closed on him. I watched the elevator raised back to the floor of his room.


 

I knew he wasn’t going to Floor level in the first place. He was looking for me.


 

Kris is not someone I can fall in love with again. We have a tangled past that I wish we would not be tie again.  The only problem is we never untie it in the past.


 

Now is haunting me back.







 

I smiled as Chanyeol joined me at the table. This is my mission: to fall in love with this man. I will give in all to let Luhan become an angel.


 

“I see you already order the food.” He smiled cheerfully and I respond with one as well.


 

“I saw you were talking to the head manager, Kris.” He fixed his fork on the table, so it line up with the knife,


 

“Oh.” I said quietly.


 

“Can I ask a very personal question?” He shifted a bit in his chair and swallow before asking. “What is your relationship with him?”


 

I scanned him with an expressionless face. My mind trying to find the right words: ex-lover, ex-boyfriend, my dead baby’s father, friends, or unsettle relationship.

 

I took a deep breath.


 

“He was my ex-boyfriend and...” I took a long pause. “I...” I didn’t know if I should tell him. I feel a bit uncomfortable about the situation. If he know, he can’t do anything about it. Plus dragging the past to the present bothers me.


 

A lot.


 

Before I finished my sentence, a hand slammed on the table. I trace the wrinkle tan hand up with my eyes, then I met his face. I felt shaken by this man.


 

“You are Jessica Jung. Right?” The dark skins between the man’s eyebrows folded tightly; as a result, he looks angry.


 

I nodded slightly feeling a sense of worry.


 

“I am Luhan’s father. I need to have a word with you.” He walked out the dining area and expected me to follow.


 

“Jessica. He is the man in the movie theater yesterday.” Chanyeol reminded me in a worry. “Should I go with you?”


 

“No. I am sorry. Excuse me.” I left the table. Chanyeol sighed lightly in disappointment.





 

“I am sorry, Mr. Lu” I come to a stop after meeting Luhan’s father outside at the back garden of the hotel.


 

“Mr.Cho. I don’t have the same last name with that bastard.” He puts both his hands on his hips, and again he looks in rage.


 

“I know that he is working as your genie.” He said in a different tone. I clenched my teeth in nervousness. “You need to get away from him.” He warned.


 

“He is helping me.”


 

“He’ s not. He is just trying to repay his guilt.”  Mr. Cho said in a slightly softer voice.


 

“May I ask why do you hate him so much? He is...” I paused. “not human anymore.”


 

“Do you remember anything from the past, Jessica?” He puts his hand down and finally turned to face me directly.


 

“The past? Yes. I...”


 

“No. Before your brother passed away.” Mr. Cho said the words like a dart to the target.


 

“How did you know about that?” I took a few step back in shock.


 

“Do you remember?” He repeated.


 

Now that I thought about it. I never think about anything before my brother passed away. All I remember is Kris and the happy days I spent with my brother.


 

“Yes. I spent my lovely childhood with my brother and...”I stopped by the fade image I remember.


 

“and another family.” He added.


 

“There is a Dad, a Mother, and a son. The three of you would play around the grass field in front of the house....”


 

Then the image flashed through me. I remember my brother laughing and jumping, then there was another boy waving for us to run towards the tree at the very near end.


 

“There was a huge green tree at the very near end. His mother would call all of you when the sun dyed the blue sky into different shade of orange.”


 

I looked at the man with confusion. Is this my memory? It is so vivid, but I can’t get the right picture. What did I forget?


 

Suddenly, I felt a river of tears run down my eyes and I sense the sorrow in my heart. It was something that I don’t want to remember, but why don’t I. It sounds like a happy memory.


 

“Even if you don’t remember,” Mr. Cho continued, “you should stay away from Luhan. If you are going back to our old town, you might be able to remember.”


 

He patted my shoulder twice and turn to walk away.


 

“Wait.” I called out. “How do you know all these?”


 

“I am that Dad in your memory.” He sighed and disappeared in the lobby with the crowds.


 

Luhan was the little boy. I saw his young face flashing through my memories. His smile matches, his blushing cheeks and his gentle voice are the same. I felt my heartbeat raised furiously. With a search of support, I found a fountain behind me.


 

I grew up with him. I know him before he die.

 

I clenched my bleeding heart.


He was my brother’s best friend.