Lesson 8

Teach Me: How to Love

Lesson 8

 

Jessica Jung

 

I ran down the hall in my shorts and hoodie. Everyone’s eyes are on me, but I care less about it. I was running to the rooftop.


 

Luhan was standing on top of the building in the middle of night. His feet at the edge of the building. People would think that he wants to suicide if they didn’t know he is angel 10101. When I reached the top of the building, I saw the starless sky. His eyes motionlessly staring at the darkness ahead. From the corner of his eyes, he swifted his attentions towards me. I relaxed at his gentle smile.


 

“What are you doing here?”


 

“I got a sign.” He turn back to the darkness.


 

“About what?”


 

“Becoming an angel. I felt the pain behind my back. It.. it’s like..” He paused and looked at his hands with panic. “it’s like I am about to grow a pair of wings.”

 

I lean against the short cement fence. I took a few more second to examine his expression. “Why are you looking sad?”


 

As if my question woke him up from a stupor, his eyes shaken from the focus. “I don’t know.” The space between his eyebrows folded tightly. “There are something I want to do before... before leaving. I have to take care something humanly.”


 

I touched his hand. He turned to me slowly. I pulled him down from the edge of the building. He jumped down and held both of my hands. “Would you like me to be your genie?” His eyes soften and he closed his eyes as if he was about to cry.


 

“Look at the sky.” He wrap his fingers between mines. With a snap of his finger, all the light in the city went off one by one. The stars in the sky slowly show themselves. The fresh wind combing through my air.


 

“You can’t do this. People are having a blackout.” I protested.


 

“It is good to enjoy the night sky sometimes. This is a gift for you.” His eyes turned to me and returned back to the stars. I felt a different beat from the heart. As soon as I realized that I can no longer take my eyes off him, my heart raged with an unusual fast beats.

I will make you an angel.





 

“About the other day...” Chanyeol approached me in the lobby.


 

“I have an emergency. I apologize.” I reply to comfort him.

 

“Oh, please. Don’t.” He looks down on his own shoes, “I admire you greatly. It feel uncomfortable for you to apologize.”

 

I examine Chanyeol closely. He is a very nice guy, who is around my age. He is good looking and successful. All the women would die to have him. If I get together with him, Luhan’s mission would be complete. He can become an angel.

 

My heart sank at the sudden thoughts. I don’t have any chemistry with Chanyeol. He felt more like friend than boyfriend material, but I doubted that I am in a position to be picky.

 

“I will go pick up my work.” Chanyeol’s sentences brought back my attentions. “So I will meet you in the morning at 8.” He smiled and turned separate ways.


 

I sat in the lobby watching visitors coming in and out with suitcases. Some were wearing business attires, some were wearing relaxing blouse. Until, a man with business suit caught my eyes. With a few second delay, I realize it was Kris. He had a worry expression on his face.

 

 

“Are you doing ok?” He lean towards me.


 

“I am fine.” I feel myself relaxed.


 

Kris didn’t say anything. He just sat down across from me with his finger intertwined and elbow on his kneel. This was the man I had loved. He is once again bring back the memories of happiness.  After my brother had passed away, Kris healed my wounds. He knows how to comfort me and to cheer me up. However, he had broke my trust for humanity. He ripped me away from my fantasy.


 

“Sorry.” He pronounced it in a soft voice.


 

I felt the tears rushed to my eyes. “I am sorry too.” Kris looked up with surprise as if he never expected those words.


 

“I have own everyone so much, because I can’t forgive myself.” I continued. “It not your fault. I forgive you.”

 

Kris reached his hand out and held mines. “Thank you. Ssica.”


 

I wipe my tears away and avoid any more physical interaction with him. He has a girlfriend now and I am no longer looking for love.

 

I just want to help Luhan.


 

Chanyeol is the perfect candidate. I just have to fall in love with him.


 

I stood up from the chair and bow to Kris. He stand up quickly with a shock look. “Thank you. Now we will just be a business partner. I hope that I can move on. You will be able to cherish your next love. Let’s put an end to this.” I reached out my hand to shake his.


 

He hesitated while staring at my hand. I hang it there for a minute, until he looked up at me. “I think I can’t do it.”


 

“Do what?”


 

“I think I still loves you.”


 

As soon as I heard that, my chest tighten. Why do I have a heartache? Maybe I was looking for this along.


 

Class 101, love is complicated when you don’t even know yourself .