Part 8

Secret To Happiness

          Days turned into weeks and Wendy hasn't even acknowledged Seulgi's presence once since that one day three weeks prior. 

          "Stop dwelling on the past, Seul. You can't forget that you were trying to help her. If she didn't appreciate that enough to even thank you, then she doesn't even deserve you." Joy said to Seulgi after avoiding the topic for a while. Everyday, Seulgi would just stare at the back of Wendy's head in every class, hoping one day Wendy would turn around and every thing would be alright again. Seulgi was losing focus on the present, and it was difficult for Joy and even for Irene to watch. 

          Seulgi just ignored Joy- an act that was getting harder and harder by the day. Seulgi knew that Joy was right, Wendy was never turning around and things were never gonna go back to the way they were. Why couldn't she just accept it?

          "I'm trying, Joy. Thanks for the advice." Seulgi's expression just broke Joy's heart into a million pieces. Seulgi's eyebrows pushed down toward her eyes in a more than just sad way. Seulgi's grin was as bittersweet as the best dark chocolate availble in the known universe. It was the first time that Joy saw Seulgi like that, and the worst part was that she knew Seulgi wasn't okay, and couldn't be okay. It seemed like the more Joy tried to help, the more it hurt Seulgi. 

          Metephorically- Seulgi was falling down into a deep dark hole, Joy being the good friend that she is, tries to help her up. The tension between Joy's grasp and Seulgi's wrist is just ripping and tearing at Seulgi's skin. The endless. helpless grasp is actually hurting Seulgi more than it's helping her. And if she were to plummet to the bottom of the hole, it would hurt less than what Joy's grasp was doing to her. 

          "Seul... I know I'm not helping and frankly, I just don't know how at this point. But don't take everything I say seriously, because half of the I say is stupid that I hope will help but probably is making it worse." Joy said honestly. "Tell me something I don't know." Seulgi joked, even in her time of despair. "But seriously, if you want me to shut up, just say so." Seulgi patted Joy's head. "The amount of love I have for you is unfathomable. You know that right?" Joy hummed in response prompting the two to return their attention to class, seemingly. 

          The lunch bell rang after what seemed like forever to Seulgi and she gathered her stuff, waiting for Joy to finish packing up. "How's things with you and Irene?" Seulgi asked randomly, just to make conversation. She honestly couldn't care less actually. "Better than you and Wendy.." Joy bit her lip when she realized what she just said. "Sorry..." Joy muttered out. 

          Seulgi sighed heavily. "Don't be. It's true." Joy finished packing her stuff and the two began to take their leave until they heard a thud at the doorway. "Watch where you're going!" Joy and Seulgi turned to look at the source of the noise and found two girls standing over another girl on the ground, with her books and things sprawled everywhere. 

          "Couldn't you see me? Why didn't you let me go first?" One of the girls yelled at the girl on the floor. Being the heroic type, Seulgi ran toward the door way to see what was going on. She saw a familiar figure on the ground and she immediately tried to run towards it, but not before Joy stopped her. "You should think about this before you try to stop it. Does Wendy want you to do this?" 

          Seulgi knew where Joy was coming from, it was a good place and she had good intentions. But Seulgi just had to do what she thought was right. "She needs me." Seulgi whispered to Joy and ran over to the door. 

          Joy shook her head watching Seulgi drop everything for Wendy. Joy knew that it hurt Seulgi seeing Wendy literally in every class, in the hallways, everyday. Joy knew that Seulgi was trying so hard to get over Wendy because Seulgi wanted to give Wendy what she wanted- space. If Seulgi letting Wendy go was what Wendy wanted, than that's what Seulgi would do. But it just wasn't easy when Seulgi had to see Wendy everywhere and now stand up for her against bullies. 

          "Hey! Why are you yelling at her like that?" Wendy's eyes followed Seulgi's footsteps as Seulgi ran closer and closer to the door way. "She saw me walking toward the doorway and she didn't even stop and let me go first!" Seulgi made eye contact with Wendy which she immediately regreted, as Wendy's eyes turned cold. "Well, you're not the one who fell and had their stuff knocked all over the floor, are you? Why don't you leave her alone?" Seulgi glared at the two girls, it wasn't as intimidating as she thought I would be. 

          "And who asked you? Everyone else may like you, but I really don't. You think you're so great don't you, Kang Seulgi? Just because every guy and girl drool over you and your the best student around here. Well newsflash, you aren't the best. We all know that you open your legs to all the teachers and bribe them with your money, you ." The girl spat at Seulgi. Hearing those words actually hurt Seulgi, is that what people thought of her?

          "You fuc-" Seulgi words were interupted by a loud sound that resonated though the whole room. "Don't you talk about her like that." Wendy slapped the girl hard. She wasn't going to let people talk to Seulgi like that after all Seulgi did for her. By this point, the taller girl was leaning on her friend, cupping her face. They left and probably went to the nurse's office.

          "You didn't have to do that.." Seulgi rubbed her eyes, forcing her tears back in. Those words really hurt her. "I told you to leave me alone, Seulgi! Why can't you just let me live my own life? Stop getting involved in my problems because you're only making things worse for me!" Wendy screamed at Seulgi who was taken aback. She thought that Wendy would be at least thankful.

          "Why are you so stubborn on not talking to me? Don't you see that it's hard for me? I know it's hard for you too." Seulgi said to Wendy, bearing the saddest frown ever known to  grace a face. Wendy yelled loudly, an action that was really uncalled for. "It's hard when I'm not talking to you, but it's even harder when I am." Wendy cried and ran out of the room, leaving her bag and everything else on the floor.

          She left Seulgi dumbfounded. "I don't understand what she's saying.." Seulgi said in a frustrated tone. Joy patted Seulgi's back.

          "Let's go talk about it over a latte."

 

TBC

First of all, I am soooo sorry for those of you who have been waiting for me to update for like almost two months D: Some of you even messaged me personally and commented asking me to update and I really appreciate that you guys are actually asking for more of my writing :)  

I've just been so busy with school and right now I'm having exams and I actually have one tmr but I wrote this chapter while I was procrastinating studying. It's a ty chapter and I'm sorry but this is all I can provide atm. 

I really, really promise that I'll update soon because even I can't deal with the lack a closure this story is causing rn. 

Anyways, thanks for being so patient and leave me more comments! It's motivating :D

Thanks for reading, until next time (which will hopefully be not that long from now), bye :]