Part 5

Secret To Happiness

          "Ms. Kang! How many times do I have to tell you to put that book down?" Seulgi promptly shut her book and looked up at the teacher. She's been cramming to read her book since spending lunch with Wendy yesterday. She was already in tons of trouble with Mr. Son since she skipped on doing her Physics homework to finish 'Great Expectations'. 

          Physics was the only class out of the four she had this semester that was without Wendy. Physics was the only class that Seulgi had no one to stare and gawk at, day-dreaming just didn't do the job sometimes. "Sorry, Sir." Seulgi smiled gently at Mr. Son which led him to soften his gaze, that bear smile of Seulgi's came in handy when she didn't want to garner a second detention. 

          As 3 o'clock struck, everybody in the class started to pack up and shuffle their feet to the door ready for a nice long weekend; everybody except for Seulgi. She just sat at her desk, unmoving, waiting for 3:30 to come slowly but surely. "This'll teach you to do your homework prudently, Ms. Kang." Mr. Son looked over the glasses hanging on the tip of his nose and returned his gaze to his marking book. Seulgi rolled her eyes, not even taking what the teacher said into consideration at all. All she could think about was, you've guessed it, Wendy. 

          Everyday, after school, Seulgi would race to Wendy's last period class and wait for her patiently outside of her classroom door. Seulgi wondered, would Wendy look for her if she wasn't there waiting outside the class room door? Would Wendy miss her if she stopped pursuing her? Would Wendy care even at all if she just one day dissappeared? All these thoughts caused a frown, and a wrinkled forehead on Seulgi's face. 

          Seulgi heard a beep from her phone and roughly grabbed it out of her pocket, almost letting it fall to the floor. She saw the name and it wasn't who she wanted it to be, it was never who she wanted it to be. "Phone away, Kang." Mr. Son spoke through clenched teeth, Seulgi obeyed as she didn't want to get on the man's bad side. 

          All poor Seulgi wanted was for Wendy to want her, to miss her,to care for her, to think about her the way she thought about Wendy, to love her. Seulgi was never good at explaining things, but this time it was paticularly difficult. Why did she want Wendy to want her so bad? Was it greed or attention-seeking; perhaps loneliness or desire for something not in possession. Seulgi felt like she could never quite figure it out.  

          "3:30, Kang. Get out and make sure it doesn't happen again." Mr. Son spoke without looking away from his note book. "Okay, bye." Seulgi gathered her things quickly and gave a slight bow before dashing to the library, where she thought Wendy would be. Seugli frantically scratched her head as she went through every shelf of books and couldn't find Wendy. She continued to look in the school garden, rooftop, and at Wendy's locker to no avail. Seulgi finally gave up and went towards her locker to put her books away to head home. 

          She took out her copy of 'Great Expectations' she was now almost done the book, just another chapter to go. Seulgi shuffled her feet, not letting them off the ground. She dragged them step by step to her locker, not taking her eyes off the inked pages once. She eventually finished the book by the time she made it to her locker, then her foot hit something soft and fleshy. Seulgi kept her gaze down, she lifted the book up to find a small familiar figure laying in front of her locker.

          "W-Wendy?" Seulgi slowly flipped Wendy over, she was shocked to see a black eye and a bloody nose. "Wendy! Y-yah, Seunghwan!" Seulgi shook the Wendy until the younger girl finally woke up, it took longer than Seulgi anticipated. Eventually, she saw the eyes of the beat up girl open. "What happenned to you?" Seulgi took a tissue and dabbed the blood of Wendy's nose. She saw the girl furrow her eyebrows in pain but she didn't stop. "They told me to leave you alone." 

          Seulgi helped Wendy sit up, continuing to treat the younger's wounds. "Who told you that?" Seulgi already had an array of faces going through her head, but the one she was most suspicious of was Irene. Wendy grew quiet and Seulgi kept asking her who did it. Seulgi couldn't tell that Wendy was hesitant to tell her because Wendy didn't want to ruin any friendships. She didn't know exacty how much Seulgi liked her, but she knew that Seulgi cared enough for her to break off a friendship with one of her bullies. 

          "I swear, if you don't tell me right now who did it I will hunt down everyone in this school until I know who did it." Seulgi was holding Wendy in a hug, Wendy's head against her chest. Wendy blushed, frankly, in this moment was the most cared for she has felt in the last 14 years. "Was it Jiyeon? Taeyeon? Hayoung? Hara? Or was it that Ire-" Wendy cut Seulgi off. "Seulgi I think that we should end it here." She slowly looked up at Seulgi, she feared the pain that came with looking at Seulgi's hurt expression because it broke her heart to. 

          "E-end what? W-what are you s-saying Wendy?" Seulgi managed to stutter out of fear. "Don't you see that this is hurting both of us? Return to your old life Seulgi; the life that didn't involve me." Wendy's eyes finally met Seulgi's, and sure enough, her heart broke into a million pieces to see Seulgi cry. It was the first time Seulgi has cried in years, she was always too happy to cry. "See, now you're even crying because of me." Wendy wiped Seulgi's tears as she smiled bitterly. "I'm no good for you, Seulgi-ah. I'm the freak that every hates and bullies; you're Kang Seulgi that everyone is in love with. We're polar opposites and our ends will never meet. Can't you see that? Save yourself before it's too late." Wendy used her thin fingers to put a strand of hair behind Seulgi's ear before getting up and walking away from Seulgi. 

          "It's already too late Wendy." Wendy stopped dead in her tracks after hearing Seulgi speak after a long while. "For the last couple months, my brain has been occupied by a spirit that won't leave. She's bright and shining, yet nobody recognizes it. At first I couldn't understand why nobody saw that except for me, but then I realized that maybe it was because this spirit was waiting for this one person to come along and notice her; and maybe that person was me. To have her constantly haunting my dreams and controlling all my emotions was so difficult in the beginning, but now I've learned to use it to my advantage and I'm happier than I've ever been. Wendy, you're that spirit and I can't help but to follow you where ever you go, to admire you everytime I see the glint of your eyes and smile, to love you." Wendy was crying like Seulgi was, except her tears were of happiness and not of sadness. 

          "I read the book, your favourite book, Great Expectations. 'I loved her against reason, against promise, against peace, against hope, against happiness, against all discouragement that could be' Pip says about Estella, that's how I feel about you, Wendy. Save me from heartbreak and let me continue to chase you, I won't stop until I know you're completely happy and free from all your demons. I don't know what happened to you and why you're so incredibly mad at this world, but I'll do anything to make you realize this place isn't as bad as you think." Wendy looked up from the ground, still with her back toward Seulgi, she contemplated for a second on what to do.

          Seulgi sobbed as Wendy slowly walked away from her.

          "I'm sorry, but I love you." 

 

TBC

Drama is coming? Maybe, idk :3 I managed to update within 2 weeks of my last update ^^ School is still annoying tho, I got over 90 in everything except for English for midterm >:O Sigh... 

The next update is already written and I'll maybe post it in 2 weeks! For those of you who are reading 'Aiding Your Wounds', sorry I'm not updating that fic as often. I have some writers block on that one but I think I'll post a new chapter within these two weeks :)

Thanks for reading, bye~ ^^