Part 17

Secret To Happiness

          "So, who is he?" Seulgi seemed to have forgotten about the man over night but the embarassing encounter just minutes before prompted her to ask Wendy. 

          The younger girl laid lying down on her girlfriend's bed. Wendy's hand smoothed over the shirt she just folded, the pile was overwhelming and it wasn't like Wendy to be this messy but she's been preoccupied with Seulgi lately and frankly had no time for laundry. 

          "Sam?" She turned her head toward Seulgi and watched as she nodded cutely, loose strands of hair falling out of her bun onto her face, framing it perfectly. 

          "Sam." She repeated slowly, confirming. Seulgi was curious about him since she saw him for the first time the other night. Wendy walked over to the bed and sat next to Seulgi. She petted Seulgi's head like a little puppy. 

          "He just works for the house." Wendy stated simply, not much of an explanation, not enough to satisfy Seulgi's curiousity. "For the house?" Seulgi urged Wendy to explain further. She caught Wendy's face grow slightly paler but didn't think much of it. 

          "It's kind of hard to explain, I guess." The only word Seulgi could use to explain Wendy right now was sketchy. She felt like Wendy was still hiding from her. It hurt because she was pretty much an open book to Wendy. But that was just a case of personality bias. Seulgi wore her heart on her sleeve constantly, even for people who were not Wendy. 

          "You can tell me." Seulgi said firmly, her tone shaky but her words definitely firm. Back a couple months, or even weeks it would've been a 'tell me when you're ready' but Seulgi was losing patience. It put a strain on the trust between them, at least in Seulgi's eyes. She sometimes felt more devoted to Wendy then vice versa. 

          "Seul..." Wendy said slowly, she averted her eyes from Seulgi and looked into the mirror across the room. It was frustrating. 

          "I'm starting to think you don't trust me the way I trust you." Seulgi came out with it, she sounded meaner than she ever did before. She wasn't angry, it wasn't like Seulgi to get angry especially at Wendy. She was, however, extremely irritated with herself. She was annoyed that she couldn't bring herself to just let it go and let Wendy be. Why she had to find out the reason behind Wendy being closed-off, she knew. She loved the girl and it was hard not to try to fix the broken bits of her so that she could see a happier Wendy. But she just couldn't figure why she couldn't just forget about it for a second, it was out of character. 

          "I trust you more than anyone." Wendy turned toward Seulgi again, making eye contact. She expected Seulgi to accept her words and kiss her or hug her but it was different this time. 

          "Well, how much could that mean? You don't trust anyone except for me." Seulgi stepped off toward the other side of the room. Wendy was shocked by the attitude but more than anyone, Seulgi was shocked. She's never talked to anyone like the way she was talking to Wendy now. But then again, she's never loved anyone the way she loved Wendy. 

          Wendy couldn't deny that Seulgi was right though. The statement didn't mean much because Wendy simply didn't have anyone to trust. "You're right. There is so much that I have yet to tell you but I'm not ready." Wendy started to cry. She couldn't hold it in any longer. 

          "Then when will you be ready? I've waited and waited. I want to know you. I want to know the person I love." They filled in eachother's weaknesses, but how could Seulgi complete parts of Wendy she didn't even know about. Seulgi wanted to know not because she was nosy, she didn't like to pry into other's business. It was a matter of knowing your partner in order to be sensitive of there inferiorities and shortcomings. 

          Wendy stared at her hands, she looked at the tears on her fingertips. 

          "I just want to know who you are." Seulgi came and hugged Wendy from behind, she put her cheek onto Wendy's shoulder. She hated seeing Wendy cry, let alone make her cry. Although, she didn't want to apologize for doing so because she wasn't going to go back on what she said. 

          "I don't even know who I am." Wendy said calmly through her tears. 

          "Then let's start from the bottom." Seulgi said. "You're name is Seungwan, Son Seungwan. You're smart and talented. You're unarguably the most beautiful girl in the world." She always managed to make Wendy giggle.

          "You're Kang Seulgi's favourite and nothing can ever change that." Wendy gently grasped Seulgi's face and kissed her on the lips. They looked at each other for a second, smiling. Then Seulgi's gaze changed, she became serious again. Her eyes begged Wendy to tell her more about herself. Seulgi's stare calmed Wendy. They held their hands together and they felt their hearts sync beats. 

          "I grew up rich, but no one at school knew. My dad, he was the CEO of this big corporation. I never really understood what they did- some trading and stuff, it's way out of my range of knowledge. He made a lot of money. He always spoiled me. Loved me more than anyone in the world."

          Seulgi couldn't help but notice the use of past-tense verbs. It could only mean one thing. She never knew but she always had a feeling that something was missing from Wendy's life. She realized after a while that no one would ever really call Wendy to check up on her. Wendy would stay at Seulgi's place for weeks at a time and there were never any calls or texts or anything. She could sense how alone Wendy seemed sometimes. How Wendy would just stare at the sky without blinking when they were stargazing. It was all so mysterious but it was really telling. 

          "I wish I could've known him when I was a teenager. I wished I had the chance to have deep, meaningful conversations with him because he was so wise and comforting. He would've gotten me through so much." Wendy wasn't crying when she was talking about her father, instead she was smiling. After all this time, she learned that crying about it would just cause her more pain. Instead she chose to have gratitude and embraced the fact that she ever had her father at all.

          "My mom, she had a hard time. She was depressed for a while. She didn't work and she wasn't good at taking care of me so we had to hire help. I had a whole lot of different people raising me and Sam has been working for us since then. He was my Dad's right hand man." Seulgi sat and listened intently. Her head was now in Wendy's lap, looking up at Wendy as she spoke. 

          "My dad got really busy. It was hectic. He flew from country to country by the day and I never really got to see him after that. Phone calls once in a while, letters, but he never had the time for us... For me, anymore. Then one day came where he was flying to Switzerland for a conference and the plane crashed. I was 6 years old. It's weird. I remember at the time, I had no idea what was going on. I didn't see him much on a regular basis anyway so I just thought he was gone just a little bit longer this time. I don't know when, but I eventually realized that he was gone for good. The person that loved me the most was gone. It's so cruel to do that to a kid, you know? A child so pure, so innocent, someone who did absolutely nothing to deserve that fate." 

          Seulgi just stared up at her girlfriend. Never did she see Wendy so vulnerable. Wendy wasn't crying or visually upset, it was just her aura. She could see a cloud of grey around Seungwan, with touches of firey red. She seemed defenseless if someone were to pop her bubble. Her anger would just explode into who knows what. 

          "And from there it went down to flames, Seul. I was lost. Could you imagine losing someone like that? It leaves you so scared and so freaking confused. My mom got hit the worst, really. She was so fragile as it was. She was already on the brink of , lo and behold this comes along and just pushes her right off the edge. Literally..."

          "She jumped. I didn't know that until I was 11, actually. She died a little bit more than a year after my dad. Honestly, when I learned about it, it made me feel worse than I did about my dad. At least my dad didn't have the choice to go. Something just decided one day that that would be his fate and it paved that path for him. My mom had a choice; she chose to leave me. It made me feel like I was worth nothing because even I wasn't enough for her to keep holding on just a little bit longer." 

          "We still have a good amount of money from my dad to keep everything going. After my mom died, Sam became my legal guardian somehow. He stayed here with the house and yeah.. That's who he is, to answer your question." Wendy brought her head down to kiss Seulgi. 

          "Thanks for telling me. I'm sorry if you felt forced but-" 

          "Don't explain yourself, it's not necessary. I understand. I've been hiding myself and I don't ever want you to feel like I don't trust you. I trust you with my life. And it was actually good talking about it for once, I've been keeping to myself so many years and it was just bottled-up inside me." 

          Wendy got up and walked toward the mirror, Seulgi trailed behind and backhugged her, kissing Wendy's shoulder. As Wendy looked in the mirror, she now saw something different than before. She didn't see the cowardice girl she was before; she saw someone stronger, someone that deserved to be loved by someone as amazing as Kang Seulgi.

TBC

Ooooh, wow. Heavy chapter, y'all. I'm honestly starting to think that Wendy and Seulgi are getting into too many arguments (?). Lol, idk.

But like I said in the last author's note (like 52 years ago), there's a lot more to Wendy that I haven't brought fourth yet and I've written a lot about her in these chapters. You may have caught some foreshadowing of her circumstances in really early chapters (end of part 2 and also in part 9 where Seulgi reads Wendy's diary). I was actually thinking of ending this story without including all this but I believe that it's important to include backstory of characters in order to completely comprehend them.

Thanks for reading guys and staying with the story. I'm seriously sorry for taking for long to update and honestly it would have taken longer if PinkPanda93 hadn't had messaged me, so you can thank her for the update ;)

That's all for now, pls leave author-ssi some comments :33333 Bye~~

Go listen ^3^ (1) (2)

PS!! If any of you amazing people like Twice, please check out my new fic (((: