Part 18

Secret To Happiness

         "Do we have butter?" Seulgi asked, taking a tub of the stuff off the grocery store shelf and looking at the nutrition facts printed on the label.

         "It's butter, babe. No use looking at them calories." Wendy placed her hand onto Seulgi's belly, feeling for rolls so she could make fun of her. Her attempt only made Seulgi scoff. 

         "You out of all people should know how toned I am." Seulgi smirked and winked at Wendy– an action that would cause Wendy to roll her eyes and of course, laugh. Seulgi managed to sneek a kiss onto Wendy's cheek before Wendy pushed her away. 

         "No, we don't have butter at home.. Somebody used it all." Seulgi looked onto Wendy skipping away into the candy aisle. She smiled at how happy Wendy was, it was enchanting. Seulgi felt her heart swell with what could only be love. It was a love for a girl so broken, almost to the point of no return but somehow Kang Seulgi managed to make it all alright. 

         "We have any candy at home?" Wendy shouted from down the aisle. Seulgi walked toward her. "None. Somebody ate i-" before Seulgi could finish her sentence, Wendy already cut her off with a kiss. 

         "A kiss?" The older girl questioned as she used her sleeve to wipe away the slightest bit lip tint that transfered from her girlfriend's lips to her own bare lips. 

         "I was just gonna cover your mouth, but... I felt an urge." Wendy explained as she smushed her lips back on Seulgi's loosely. It wasn't much of a kiss, actually it wasn't a kiss at all. It was just Wendy noticing that Seulgi disliked getting her lip tint stained on her face and deciding to exploit that. It was also Seulgi noticing that Wendy loved bothering her so she intentionally wiped it off as to appear as she disliked it but she really just wanted another sweet, sweet kiss from her favourite girl in the world. 

         It was luckily a pretty empty supermarket. The couple usually weren't too much for PDA but sometimes, it was impossible for them to resist each other. Wendy continued to press her lips all across Seulgi's face, prompting them to get into a wrestling match with each other. You could hear their groans from aisles away, tangled with laughs and giggles. One could only imagine what they were doing. 

         Seulgi pushed back, taking her fingers and squishing them into Wendy's side. "That tickles!" Wendy squeaked as she jerked her body to avoid Seulgi's hands. Wendy shouted for Seulgi to stopped but that encouraged Seulgi to continue. Seulgi moved forward slowly like a tiger about to jump to it's prey and as soon as she pounced, Wendy jumped backward into a shelf, knocking down a good amount of candy. 

         They both paused, eyes widened in shock. They stares at each other for a second before bursting out into laughter. "Look what you did!" Seulgi playfully scolded Wendy as she kneeled to help pick up the fallen mess. "You better be talking to yourself 'cause this ain't my fault." Wendy snapped back with a raised eyebrow. 

         "It was your short legs, always off balance." Seulgi teased. 

         "Like you're that much taller!" Wendy pulled Seulgi up from the candy and forced her to stand up straight so she could compare their heights. Wendy's heels lifted off the ground just enough so that it could go undetected from the other girl who was actually ever so slightly taller. 

         "See, we're about the same." Wendy taunted playfully before ruffling up Seulgi's hair smugly and running off into the freezer isle. Seulgi didn't bother pointing out Wendy's elevated heels just because she wanted to see her girlfriend smile– that was far more important to her than winning the frivolous and somewhat useless argument. 

         "Hey! Wait up dummy!" Seulgi shouted before running off after her. 

--

         Some time passed and Seulgi was more or less living with Wendy. Before, Wendy would spend days on end at Seulgi's house but they were soon to realize that Wendy's house was much better for their relationship as the only person around was Sam, who would be for the most part, out of their way. Back at Seulgi's house were Seulgi's parents and while both girls loved them, having them around was not ideal for their life. 

         "Hey, can I, um, ask you a question?" Wendy asked slowly, her tone was laced with a slightest bit of awkwardness. "Shoot." Seulgi encouraged. 

         "So I was thinking, do you ever think about how different your life would be? If we didn't meet?" Wendy asked cautiously. The thing about the question was that, Wendy knew there would only be one kind of answer that Seulgi would give her. It would be the typical Seulgi answer, 'you're the only person that I could ever make me this happy,' type stuff. At least, that's what Wendy figured and she knew that asking the question would once again provide her with reassurance (which she never actually lacked, but it was just something she always wanted more of). Given this, she also asked the question because she actually wanted a truth. Not the truth that Seulgi would usually provide, the truth that was overflown with reassurance. Instead she wanted the further truth, the 'you're the only one but my life would've been just as well without you' truth. Because after all, that was the truth. Wasn't it? 

         "Well, it wouldn't be because you are my life." Seulgi's eyes focussed on the TV, reading the subtitles of the English film they were watching. She didn't think that Wendy's face would be donning a confused and stressed out expression because usually, these type of answers just worked. 

         "But..?" Wendy trailed, urging her girlfriend to provide an opposition to her initial statement. She couldn't stand that feeling of not knowing what Seulgi was feeling because Seulgi always put the emotions of other's in front of her own. Seulgi always seemed so content with their relationship but it also seemed that she was just too content. That set off a slow boil on Wendy's blood. It slowly started to hurt Wendy as she already felt a burden to Seulgi but for Seulgi to act so stoic and patient– it just seemed to Wendy that Seulgi was burying any discontentment for the sake of Wendy's happiness. And Wendy hated that.

         "But nothing. I love you. That's it." Seulgi smiled at Wendy, taking Wendy's hand and interlocking their fingers. Seulgi's eyes went back to the TV. 

         "There has to be something?" Seulgi frowned hearing this. She grabbed the remote control and turned off the TV. 

         "Are you unhappy about something?" Seulgi said tenderly to Wendy. This was always her approach to any worries that the younger girl had. Seulgi was always understanding and caring about it. She was always willing to listen. 

         "I can't help but feel that you're hiding something, babe. You're always okay and smiling and you listen to my worries but isn't there something that you're unhappy with? I want to help you too but are you scared to talk to me?" A hand came up to Wendy's cheek and delicately placed the bit of hair hanging down behind her ear. 

         "You know why I fell in love with you?" Seulgi paused, as if she was waiting for Wendy to answer that question on her own. She gave Wendy a look as if she were telling her to give it a go, and so Wendy did. The more Wendy thought about it, the more dumbfounded she became. Wendy was riddled with problems from head to toe. Wendy didn't hesitate to express her hatred for Seulgi in the beginning, yet Seulgi never gave up on her. The more reasons she thought of for Seulgi to want to hate her, the more she realized how much Seulgi actually loved her for staying with her for so long. She still couldn't fathom why Seulgi loved her however. 

         "I was mean to you, why did you even want to be my friend? Wendy puzzled, her voice shaking slightly. Seulgi sensed the fear in Wendy's voice. It was like Wendy was having an epiphany and then a scenario suddenly played out in her mind where Seulgi was suddenly gone without a trace. It was like she jumped into a parallel timeline where instead of being persistant, Seulgi gave up on her (like the normal person would). 

         "I knew you since elementary school, Wendy. I watched you grow up. I watched you face bullies and people talking about you like you were a freak. Your parents died and no one even knew, because you're just that tough. I was right there on the sidelines the entire time and I didn't do anything to help you. Sure, you were broken and depressed, but you never gave up. If you were weak, you would've lost yourself a long time ago considering everything you went through. But you still had that tiny shred of hope in you, and I saw that hope reaching out to me like a hand. It spoke to me like if I wasn't the one to take that last bit of hope and turn your life into something worth living, then you would soon give up. You're the strongest person I know, but even the strongest come to a point where they can't face the storm anymore and I was so afraid that I would be the one to watch as a beautiful girl lost herself while I sat on the sidelines. I feel like you're my purpose in life like I was put here to love you. And if it were up to me, I wouldn't change a damn thing about it." 

         Wendy burried herself into Seulgi's arms, feeling a comfort and warmth that only Seulgi could offer. "I'm happy with my life, I'm happy with you. So stop questioning it because that will never change. My purpose will always be you." Wendy pinched Seulgi lightly on her stomach, a punishment for being so goddamn cheesy. But Seulgi knew Wendy always loved it. 

 

TBC

Aw tt, it's been over a year lmao. I'm really sorry for anyone who was waiting for this fanfic but I just want to let anyone who has stuck with this fic that I appreciate the heck out of you and thank you for your support. And many of you have probably abandoned this fic or have moved on and I seriously do not blame you >< 

Forgive me if y'all had to reread some chapters to even know what the story was again lol. Even I had to reread my own story in order to write this. Hopefully you guys are happy with this chapter and who knows I might even update in about 7 months. Just kidding, lol. But honestly, you guys know me. I will probably take a while before the next update (if you guys care to stay 3). It's y of me, I know but updating is just not something I'm cut out for, sorry. So if I don't update for a while, doesn't mean I've abandoned this fic. Seuldy means the world to me so I will always have a special place in my heart for their 'romance'. 

Thanks for reading and staying with me after all this time. 

ALSO I JUST NOTICED THAT IT'S LITERALLY THE 3 YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF THE BEGINNING OF THIS FANFIC LOL AND IT'S STILL NOT DONE. 

Go listen ^3^ (1) (2) (3) (4)

Support Oh My Girl and Lovelyz :)