Chapter 3

Love At College

'Hey let's grab a bite at the cafeteria' Jessica said when she and Eric meet up at the college on the following week. 

'Sure' he said and followed her to the cafeteria. The cafeteria is huge and there's not a lot of people there as many of them are still in class.

They talked while eating and while they were talking, Eric heard a familiar voice in front of him. He saw Hyesung and Junjin sitting down and talked. Doesn't know why, Eric tried to eavesdropped their conversation. 

'Hyesung-ah! You should stop skipping classes! Exam is coming and the teachers are complaining!' Junjin scolded.

'So what? I'm just gonna sit for it' he simply shrugged with his spoilt prince attitude.

'YAH SHIN HYESUNG!! You don't want to graduate is it?!' he yelled so loud that people stared at him and started whispering. He immediately apologised and Hyesung laughed at his loudness.

'Hahaha serve you right... I want but not now maybe... Junjin-ah, I don't want to talk about this anymore okay... So what's the plan for today?' he changed the subject.

Junjin sighed and said 'The plan is for you and me to attend classes... You don't have any events to attend so you are free. For now focus on your studies' 

While Eric eavesdropping, he saw Hyesung was looking at him and he immediately looked away (he blushed slightly) so that he won't get caught. 

Hyesung on the other hand, blushed when he saw Eric stared at him with an intense glare. To Hyesung, he looked so handsome. When he saw a beautiful woman sat in front of Eric, he felt a pang in his heart. He didn't know why but it was painful. So he gathered his courage and walked to Eric.

Eric saw Hyesung and Junjin stood up and he looked at the young guy who was walking towards him. Oh ! Did he notice? Eric cursed himself inside his heart. Hyesung stopped at his table and smiled at him. 

'It's you again! Hello!' he said brightly.

'Hey Hyesungie... You're not sneaking out again right?' he joked.

Hyesung immediately blushed when he heard his new nickname, given by Eric. 

'Yah, that was few days ago! You don't have to bring it up' he pouted and immediately closed his mouth when realised that he made a wrong choice. 

Hyesung looked at Junjin who was glaring at her and gave him his innocent look. Unfortunately for him, Junjin pulled his ear and dragged him out from the cafeteria. Hyesung winced in pain but he still managed to wave goodbye to Eric. 

'You sneaked out again?! You are going to get it from me SHIN HYESUNG!!' Junjin burst in anger towards him when they exited the cafeteria.

Eric just chuckled at the sight and continued to eat. He looked at Jessica who was looking at him weirdly.

'What?' he asked.

'Did he just talk to you?' 

'Yeah, so?'

'He never talked to people or even wave goodbyes at people here... Especially when he is in his prince mood zone... The only friend he has here is the assistant... Wah, you must mean something to him'

Jessica's words make him grin sheepishly. 'Maybe I am different from others, hehe' Eric thought but immediately shook his head. 

What makes him different from the rest? He's nothing compared to the prince. Hyesung is too... Perfect and beautiful.

'Maybe he has a change of heart, more open to society' Eric just shrugged and continued to eat.

He saw a glimpse of anger in Jessica's eyes but just shrugged it off. Maybe he was wrong, can't see properly.

Few days later...

'Cheers!' Minwoo, Eric and Andy said in unison. 

They decided to catch up one night at a local bar where they used to hangout before graduating college.

The bar is a symbolised of their friendship. All their hardships and sweet memories are all in that bar.  

'It's been a long time since we last catch up' Andy started the conversation.

'Yeah, even though I'm working with this I barely seen him' Minwoo said patted Eric's back.

'Hey, it's not my fault that you gave me the project!' Eric pouted.

Even though he is a grown guy, but when he's with his friends, he acts like a 5 years old kid.

'How was the progress so far?' Andy asked. 

Even though he doesn't work in that area, he is still interested to know.

'So far so good. But you know, sometimes things don't go well as plan' Jake sighed. He remembered when the construction workers made a mistake of mixing the concrete wrongly.

'Where is the college?' Andy asked.

'SH College' Minwoo interrupted.

'That college?!' Andy said with surprised.

'Yeah. Why?' Minwoo asked.

'The prince studies there' he explained and immediately Eric knew who is the 'prince' and he smirked at Andy.

'Yeah, I know. We talked once' Eric cooly said.

Minwoo who didn't know what they were talking about got frustrated. 'WHO IS IT?!?!' Minwoo asked.

'You know, Shin Hyesung. The prince' Andy replied sarcastically.

Speaking of Hyesung, Eric remembers about yesterday's incident.

*Flashback*

Eric was on the way to see the project until he saw a familiar figure hiding in the bush. Shin Hyesung. The way Eric saw him was that he tried to skip class. 

'Yah Shin Hyesung! What are you doing there?' Eric shouted and he obviously looked quite shocked to see him there. 

He ran up to him and cover his mouth with his delicate hands. 'Shhh, don't be too loud idiot!' he scolded him.

Eric grabbed his hands away and looked at the flustered guy weirdly. 'Are you trying to skip class?' he asked.

'What?! No! Of course not!' he became more flustered and looked away, only hoping that he won't get caught. 

Eric have him an intense glare and saw Hyesung constantly his lips. Eric immediately knows that the younger guy lied 'You are! You should go back to your class now' Eric said to him but he won't budged.

'No I don't want! The class is so boring... Besides I don't like the lecturer ' he pouted.

'Now I know why you're one of the difficult ones' he scoffed and soon slapped his face mentally for saying out loud.

'What?! I'm not difficult! I just don't want to go' he looked away. Hyesung knows when people said difficult ones, it actually means worst ones.

Eric doesn't know why but ever since Jessica told him about Hyesung, he knew he is different in a special way from the rest of students here. And one day, Eric coincidentally saw Hyesung's file on a table at the staff room. He looked around his surroundings and when there was no one looking, he grabbed the file and opened it. He knew it was wrong but he was curious and people can't blame him and his curiosity. He looked at his details and it wrote there that he has been here for 3 years now. Then he turned into the next page and checked his results. Surprisingly the first two year, he has an excellent result. Straight A's student but during the third year, his results dropped massively. It made Eric wondered what could happened. When he heard someone was coming he immediately closed the file and walked off the room.

Back to reality. Eric was staring at Hyesung with an intense glare but Hyesung just looked away. Suddenly, an idea popped out.

'Well seeing you sneaking out like this makes me think that you are a difficult student' he smirked.

'Huh, what did you say?! I AM NOT! Don't want to brag but I'm smart... Very smart' he said proudly.

'Well yeah right. Then prove it!' Eric challenged 

Hyesung kept quiet for awhile but still glaring at Eric who was smirking evilly. 

Hating that smirk, and he stomped his feet and said 'FINE! I'll give you prove! This exam, I'll study hard and achieve good results. Then I will show it to you!' 

'Well then, I'm looking forward to it' he smirked again.

Then he saw Hyesung walking off so he shouted 'Where are you going? Giving up already?' 

He turned and protruded his tongue and yelled back 'Going back to class!' 

Eric was grinning when he saw Hyesung walking back to the hall. He doesn't know why but he wanted to help the younger guy with all his will. Since he wasn't close to Hyesung yet, he can't just simply asked what had happened last year.

*End of flashback*

Now is his chance to ask. 

'Andy, what happened to Hyesung? His results dropped pretty badly' Eric curiously asked.

'How did you know about that?' Andy raised his eyebrows. 

Then Eric told them about the incident. They have the shocked look on their face and their eyes widened big.

'You did what?!' Andy yelled. 

He can't believe that his best friend did that. He knows that Eric is stupid but what he did is so not Eric. AT ALL.

'It just happened, not my fault' he defended himself.

'Certainly your fault !' Minwoo hit Eric's head.

'Can't believe he accepted your challenge. It took months for Jinnie to persuade him to study but still fail' Andy explained.

'I wanted to ask him this but I'm not close to him yet. So, what happened?' Eric continued to ask.

'Well it's a long story but I'll make it short. He wants a little bit of attention' 

'Attention?' Minwoo asked.

'Yeah attention. His family is always busy but they make time for Hyesung. But last year, they were supposed to attend his pre-graduation but they didn't come due to work commitment. That was a huge deal for Hyesung since he is the youngest to achieve excellent result but then he was broken hearted. So since then, he doesn't see the use of studying if people won't appreciate him' Andy explained.

'Wow that's sad. Can't believe that he would feel like that' Minwoo commented.

Eric's heart clenched once again. Eric could imagine him crying and feel his pain.

'Yeah. So let's just forget about it and enjoy the night!' Andy said.

Lastly they ended their night with drinking. Eric wasn't drunk but his two friends were. He sighed and halted a cab to send them back home. Before he went to sleep, he thought of Andy's words about Hyesung.

'Yup, he is different Andy' he mumbled and went to sleep.