Chapter 10

Love At College

*This is an awkward chapter, so sorryyyyy*

'Don't forget that you'll be having a small exam this week... So study and don't laze around' Jessica said after she's done with her class.

Today she can go straight home since she didn't have any classes left for today. But since she knows that Eric will be coming to the college, she'll need to meet him first. No, MUST.. Must meet him. Jessica has a major crush on him since high school but she is too insecure to tell him about her feelings. So she decides to take it slowly. Plus Eric said that he has no girlfriend or someone in his love life. So it means that he is single and available.

Jessica walks to the main foyer to meet him there as the project that he supposes to check on is there. While walking towards the foyer, she stopped at the sight in front of her. She sees Eric who was catching a familiar figure from falling. Shin Hyesung. Jessica saw the look on Eric's face when he looks at Hyesung. Loving gaze. She knows because Eric never look at her with that gaze. But she tried to shrug the jealous feeling off because she trusts Eric when he said he has no one in his life. Jessica walked up to them who were laughing with each other.

'Hey Eric! Ready to get lunch together?' Jessica said brightly. She knows that every time Eric goes to the college, they will be eating lunch together.

'Hey Jess! Oh it's okay, I've already ate with Hyesung... Oh yeah Hyesungie, this is Jessica... Jessica, this is Hyesungie...' Eric introduced them to each other.

Hyesung bowed to her and said 'I know her... She's one of the prettiest lecturers here... Hello teacher...' Somewhat in Jessica's heart, she felt proud. Really proud.

'Yes I know you. Shin Hyesung. I heard that you beat Adam in horse riding competition again. Congrats' Jessica said.

Hyesung felt sarcasm in her voice but he just shrugs it off because he knows this the lecturer in front of him is pretty nice.

'Just being lucky I guess...'

'What?! No! You were being amazing...' Eric said proudly.

Jessica felt a pang in her heart, she has never heard Eric something like that in that tone. 'Yeah... Hmmm... You were amazing... But sadly though, you sprained your ankle' she said in a y tone. Hyesung realised but ignore it again.

'Yeah I did... But luckily Eric was there... Right?' Hyesung said brightly and looked at Eric who was just nodding and smiling.

That time Jessica feel like slapping Hyesung in the face as she could sense Hyesung wants to steal Eric from her. She has a competitor now. Shin Hyesung. Can't believe it's a guy.

'So where are you going?' Eric said looking at Jessica.

'I don't have classes today, so I'm just heading home' Jessica said knowing that Eric would surely ask her to hangout with him.

But much to her dismay, his only reply was 'Oh really? Drive safe then... Hyesungie and I will be going first... I have to send him home because his friend forgot to wait for him...'

Jessica can feel her face is burning. 'You... Send... Him... Home...?' Jessica said trying to suppress her anger.

'Yeah, I usually send him home as his home is in one direction like mine...' Eric explained.

'Oh okay then, goodbye' Jessica said coldly and walked.

But she could hear Eric and Hyesung are talking about her.

'I think your friend doesn't like me' Hyesung said.

'What?! No! She's a cool friend... Maybe she just received some bad news just now, that was why she acting like that... Just forget about it... Hey, I feel like eating an ice cream! Wanna come?'

'Yay! I want some... Vanilla okay?!' 

When Jessica looked behind, she saw Hyesung jumping around like a kid. Immature kid! Can't believe Eric would hangout with you! And she just walked away, stomping her feet hardly.

Few days later...

While Hyesung was answering his small exam paper, he could feel that someone threw a ball of paper at his head. It wrote there 'Sir Hyesung' so it means that the paper was for him. But he just ignored it and after the exam, he read it.

'Go to hell! You are nothing but a bastard!' it wrote there. Hyesung just smirked at the paper because it was so mature of them, college students. He held the paper to threw it away but then was stopped by Jessica, the lecturer in charge. She went to every table to take the papers from them and saw Hyesung who was holding a ball of paper.

'What's that?' she asked.

'Just some immature threw it at me. But I'll throw it later' Hyesung said smiling.

'Can I see it?' Jessica asked and he gave the paper to the lecturer.

Soon after that, her face changed. 'Did you copy Shin Hyesung?!' she scolded him.

Hyesung was stunned by her voice but just shook his head. 'Then what is the answer was written on this paper?!' she opened the paper and showed it to Hyesung's face.

Hyesung didn't notice that there was answers written on the back of the paper. So he denied it but unfortunately, Jessica didn't seem to buy it and said with an angry tone 'Let's go to the principal office. Now!'

Hyesung reluctant to go but he just went because he knew that he didn't copy or cheated. Suddenly there was a voice behind him. 'He didn't copy, Ms Jessica. I saw... Someone threw the paper at him' When Hyesung turned around, he saw Junjin who was smiling at him.

'I don't believe you... I know that you guys are friends... So don't try cover each others' back!' Jessica said.

'Well then... I'm going...' Junjin said and quickly grabbed Hyesung's hand to go to the principal office.

Jessica walked behind them and after they arrived at the principal office, Jessica told everything that she saw and left after the principal said that he will be having a talk with both Hyesung and Junjin. Few minutes later, the guys told their point of view and the principal just nodded.

'Well first of all, if I want to cheat or copy, I would obvious won't write my name there...' Hyesung defended himself.

'Yeah, and as a student council I won't and never would help him to cheat or copy... I know him for more like a decade and I know him better than he knows himself... If you don't believe me, I would put my title as student council on the line...' Junjin defended Hyesung. Hyesung was touched when hearing him said that.

'Well you guys have a point... For now, I would let it pass... But make sure that this won't happen again...' the principal said and they both looked at each other and smiled at the principal. They bowed and then excuse themselves.

News spread in seconds and they can hear people talked about them and the incident. Junjin didn't care about it because it was Hyesung who was affected.

'Are you okay?' Junjin asked who was staring at his quiet friend.

'Yeah I'm okay... I swear if I find out who did this... I would kill him/her and make her suffer like hell!' he cursed. 

He was so mad about that and somehow he felt weird about just now incident excuse he felt like there was no writings on the paper except for the cursing and his name. But oh well, he might saw wrongly. Then he felt his pocket vibrated. He took out his phone and checked his text message. It was Eric.

'Hey, I'm passing by your college. Wanna grab a bite?' 

As much as he wanted to have lunch with him, he didn't have the mood and he didn't want to spoil other people's mood just because of him. He was so mad about today's incident that he didn't want to interact with people except Junjin who was there for him.

'I'll pass, I don't have the mood... Sorry' he texted Eric.

'I have a bad feeling about that lecturer... She seemed to know something... You said that you know her right... How?' 

'She is Eric's friend, they've been friends from high school... She seemed nice though... I swear I saw a smirk on her face just now... I have a feeling that she doesn't like me since the first time I saw her... I don't know why'

'Maybe she didn't want you to be close to Eric' Junjin concluded.

Hyesung looked at him as of that was the craziest thing that came out from Junjin's mouth 'No way... She's not that immature to do that kind of stuff... Ugh! I'm so frustrated! I feel like killing every single person in this college! Except you of course...' 

When they were headings to the parking lot, Hyesung saw a familiar car and the owner of the car honked.

'Hey, what's wrong?' Eric said as soon as he got out from his car. He can see the frustration and sadness from Hyesung's facial expression.

'Nothing's wrong... Why are you here?' 

'Like I said, I was passing by... So I dropped by to make sure you're okay because you didn't seem okay... Since I'm here, wanna grab a bite?' he asked again. 

Eric didn't know why but he really need to see Hyesung soon after he replied his text. He knew something was wrong bc that was not the way Hyesung would type a text.

Before Hyesung said something, Junjin interrupted 'Sure, let's go Sung-ah! You haven't eaten anything yet...'

Junjin knew that Hyesung wanted to say no although he wanted to say yes. Junjin didn't want just because of the incident, Hyesung didn't have the mood to do anything. So he was hoping Eric would cheer him up.

'Okay then! Let's go Coffee Cafe then... You like the cafe right Hyesungie?' Eric asked and he just nodded.

'We're going to use our car so that it will be easier for us to go home' Junjin said and they nodded their head.

After ordering the food and while waiting for the food, Hyesung drank the whole iced tea till finished. Eric was stunned at his action but just kept quiet about it while Junjin on the other hand, just drink his drink slowly and didn't bother about Hyesung as he knew about his friend's attitude when when he's mad or frustrated.

'I swear to God I would kill them!' Hyesung yelled and even though people kept staring at him, he didn't give a damn about it.

'Chill we will find that bastard... We just ask the lecturer later' Junjin said trying to calm his friend who was clenching his plastic cup so hard.

Eric didn't understand what was going on, so he asked with his calm yet low voice 'Hyesungie what happened? Tell me please'

'Just some stupid thing that make me so mad' Hyesung said. He was afraid that if he tells Eric, he would think it's so immature to get mad over it.

'People accused him of cheating' Junjin blurted out and immediately Hyesung stepped on his feet.

'Ouch! What the hell Hyesung! He should know you know' Junjin cried in pain.

'Tell me everything Hyesung' Eric said seriously.

Hyesung hesitant but after looking at the guy in front of him with his serious face, he told him everything but he didn't tell him about Jessica because he knew that Jessica is his friend and he didn't want because of him, they will talk about it.

Then Eric slammed the table hard  and said 'YAH!!' which made Hyesung and Junjin shocked and people stared at him. He quickly bowed and apologised.

'Obviously you didn't cheat! Who was the lecturer?! Let me meet her, I'm gonna have a talk with her... How can she be so unfair?!' Eric said.

'Nah, the principal will handle it... Don't worry okay' Hyesung tried to calm the older guy.

He was glad that Eric was genuinely care about him. But he didn't want to tell him the name of the lecturer.

'I really think that you should meet Ms Jessica tomorrow and talk about it again' Junjin blurted out again and put his hand on his mouth.

Hyesung felt that he should kill Junjin right there at the cafe for blurting out just like that. But on the other hand, maybe eventually he will tell Eric. So it was better for him to know now.

'Excuse me? Jessica?' Eric asked but both of the guys didn't say anything, they just stared at each other.

'Shin Hyesung, is it Jessica?' he asked seriously.

Hyesung sighed and just nodded and then he said 'I'm gonna talk to her'

'Don't! I will talk to her... Please don't mention this to her' Hyesung pleaded.

'Fine! But if anything, just tell me' he said. Hyesung felt relieved that Eric didn't act recklessly or bad tempered. Somehow, he made him felt a lot better.

'Yah, don't worry... I'll sure talk to her...  If not, I'd kill her even if she's your friend' Hyesung said with his normal self. Spoilt brat attitude.

Few days later...

'Good morning Eric, Ms Jessica... I'm just about to go to class. I'll see you later okay' Hyesung said trying to avoid Jessica's gaze.

'Oh okay. Btw, I'm glad that you guys already have the talk, so no awkward feelings huh' Eric grinned.

'What talk?' Jessica asked weirdly. 

Hyesung quickly shut Eric's mouth using his hand and said 'Nothing, Ms Jessica. You know Eric with his random talks. Got to go, see you' 

He left after he signalled Eric to not say anything about the incident. After that, Eric and Jessica continued to walk.

'He's really a weird guy right' Jessica joked.

Eric just nodded and took out the phone to text someone. 'Wait for a moment okay' he said. 

You didn't talk to her, didn't you

Then a few minutes later, a text came

I talked to her!! Trust me, everything's settled. Just don't talk to her about it.

I don't believe you. Are you telling me the truth?

Yes, it's the truth!! Class is starting, byeee

Eric just frowned at the phone and kept it in his pocket.

'Did Hyesung talk to you few days ago?' Eric decided to ask.

'No, why?' 

'Oh, nothing. Just asking' Eric said and kept eating. 

Whole time Jessica was telling her story, Eric just kept quiet and didn't listen at anything she said. His mind wandered off as he can't understood why Hyesung didn't talk to Jessica yet. But few minutes he thought, maybe because Hyesung didn't want to be a burden and he thought it's immature stuff. So Eric decided not to question him and respected his decision.

'Oh yeah, speaking of which. Have you heard about Hyesung?'

'No... Why?' Eric decided to be nosy about it.

'He was caught cheating... Can't believe people like him would do such a thing... Pretty but cheating, pathetic' Jessica mocked.

Eric feel his face was burning with anger but he tried to control it. 'Really? Who was the lecturer?' Eric asked to test if Jessica would tell him the truth.

Jessica seemed shock at first by his question but she cooly said 'I don't know actually. I heard it from the staff room. Such a pathetic guy'

'Oh...' Eric replied short. He can't believe that his friend would lie to him. Especially she tried to make Hyesung look bad.

'Why do you hate him?' Eric asked coldly.

'It's not that I hate him. I just find him difficult. And honestly with the attitudes of his, he wouldn't go far' 

'Yah, who are you to say that?! As far as I care, I bet he would be more successful than you. Despite his attitudes. Because! He is more than a spoilt prince' Eric yelled at her. He stood up and left after sending a death glare to Jessica.

Few days later...

'Hyesung do you want to have lunch with me?' Jessica asked when she saw Hyesung walking back.

'Hmm, yeah sure... I have time to spare'

They went to a nearby shop and ordered their food. Hyesung just ordered caramel mocha as he ate just now while Jessica also ordered drinks only.

'So what is it that you want to talk about?' Hyesung started the conversation.

'Did you talk to Eric about last week incident?' 

'Pardon? No, I didn't tell him anything. Plus, it's just a small matter. Immature actually' 

'Oh good, bc it was weird when he asked me something related to that. But I believe that you are an adult that knows how to extinguish what's serious and what's not'

'I know, I just said it' Hyesung tried to smile to ease the tension.

'Do you like Eric?' Jessica asked suddenly.

'What?! No, I don't like him. Why are you asking this all of the sudden?'

'Because it seems like he likes you. And I want to ask from your side of view'

'Why? Do you like him?' 

'Matter in fact, yes I do...' Jessica said but before she could continue, their conversation was interrupted.

'What are you guys doing here?' Eric asked. He saw the both Jessica and Hyesung were chatting and he can sensed it was something serious. He looked at Hyesung who was calm and Jessica who was tensing and darkened her face.

'Good you are here. I wanna ask you something. Do you like Hyesung? I mean more than friends' Jessica asked.

'What are you talking about? We are just friends and I'm comfortable like that. Nothing more. Let's go Jess, I'm sending you home' Eric said and the last sentence he sounded cold.

He grabbed Jessica's wrist and left Hyesung behind without looking at him. He knew what was Jessica doing. She did that once in high school before and he didn't like it. At all!

Hyesung took out his phone and called Junjin. 'Hey, where are you?' he said with a trembling voice. 

'College, otw to the parking lot. Where are you?'

'In a cafe nearby. Pick me up. FAST' 

'Okay, give me 2 minutes' Junjin rushed.

In the car, Hyesung didn't say anything. He straight away went to his room and since Junjin was staying over because Hyesung's family isn't home, he put down his things in his room and knocked on Hyesung's door.

'Hey I'm coming inside' Junjin said softly. The room was dark but he knew where Hyesung was.

'Hey what's wrong?' he asked.

Hyesung just kept quiet and started crying. Junjin didn't say anything since he didn't know what happened but he gently rub Hyesung's back. Then he heard a soft chuckled.

'I just got an indirect rejection' he said sobbing.

Junjin immediately knew what was wrong. 'Eric?' and Hyesung nodded and told him everything.

After scolding Jessica in the car, he went home. After showering, he decided to call Hyesung. 

'What do you want?' Hyesung said right after he picked up.

'I'm sorry... I've shouldn't say that' 

'No, it's okay. Not your fault. What you said is true after all... Although I want something more' Hyesung said but at the last sentence, he mumbled quietly but too bad Eric heard it.

'What did you say?' Eric asked with a pounding heart.

'Since I have a feeling this is gonna be the last time I'm talking to you, I'm gonna be all out. First I really like you Eric Mun... More than friends. I hate how you make my heart flutters every time I'm with you. I hate when I see you with other girls and guys beside me. But one thing I like about you is you. Eric Mun. I wasn't ready to hear your indirect rejection just now. I've made some thoughts and I've decided that we need some time alone so that I will put an end to my one sided love. Thanks for tolerating my annoyance and immature attitude. But before you reject me properly, I want to make a confession. Eric Mun, I like you. Really really like you' Hyesung said and towards the ending, he started sobbing. Couldn't continue to talk, he immediately hung up. That night he cried for hours. Then he tried to calm down and tried to sleep but failed miserable. He brought his pillow and knocked on Junjin's door and entered.

'Junjin, can I sleep with you tonight?' he asked softly.

'Sure, come here' Junjin gestured Hyesung to sleep next to him.

Then few minutes later, Hyesung closed his eyes to sleep.

'Have you done crying?' Junjin suddenly asked.

'Yeah, for now' 

'A bit calm?' 

'Much better in fact, although I know it's gonna be hard for me to forget him. He is my first love' he shyly admitted.

'Yeah I know but we will have this talk tomorrow after you get your beauty sleep. You don't want to look like right' Junjin said. Hyesung chuckled and nodded without Junjin turning around to face him.