8

Life Goes On

The next thing Kyungsoo knew, he was opening his eyes to a bright light, a throbbing headache, and Jongdae’s worried face hovering above him.

Kyungsoo blinked a couple of times to adjust his eyes and asked, “What happened?”

Jongdae’s expression of concern melted into one of relief as he helped Kyungsoo sit up as he explained.

“You were halfway through taunting Baekhyun when you got hit square in the side of the head by a pretty nasty shot by Kai.  You fell down like a ton of bricks and didn’t get back up, so I thought you were dead, but the gym teacher said that you’d be fine.

“Baekhyun and I carried you here to the nurse’s.  She said that there’s a possibility that you have a concussion, and just to monitor your condition today and tomorrow.

“Baekhyun stayed until the bell rang, but you know he had to catch the bus so he couldn’t stay longer.  I called your mom and she says she’s on her way to come get you.  Mind if I spend the night tonight?  I want to make sure you’re okay.”

It was times like these that Kyungsoo remembered why it is he keeps Jongdae around.  He may be a troublemaker, and way too overly enthusiastic about gym, but he was always there for you when you needed him.

To show his gratitude, Kyungsoo gave him a small smile.  “Thanks Dae, you’re the best, you know that right?”

“Yeah, I know,” he replied, back to his normal, moderately arrogant self.

“So am I sleeping over?  Fridays are pizza nights, right?  Man, I love me some pizza!”

“Yeah, yeah, whatever.  Just make sure you leave before ten tomorrow so I have some time to get some work done before Baekhyun and I hang out at your place later in the day.  Plus I’ll need time to cook dinner for you heathens before I get there.”

“Sweet.”

At that moment, Kyungsoo’s mom walked through the door of the nurse’s office and rushed over to him.

“Kyungsoo-ah!  Are you okay?  Oh, my poor baby!”

Jongdae sniggered as Kyungsoo protested the hug she was attempting to suffocate him with.

“Oh Jongdae!  Thanks for taking care of my baby boy!”  Jongdae’s face fell as the hug she was previously attempting to give to Kyungsoo was instead turned in his direction.

“It’s really no problem, Mrs. Do.  But this means I get pizza, right?”

Kyungsoo punched him in the arm while Mrs. Do just ruffled his hair affectionately.

“Of course Jongdae-yah, you’re always welcome in our home.”

Jongdae smiled brightly as the two of them helped Kyungsoo up and out the door.

“Wait, I need to go to my locker first.”

“Nah, I already got your crap Soo Soo, no need for that.”

Kyungsoo didn’t know whether he should be thankful for Jongdae’s help, or annoyed and the babyish nickname, so he decided to just keep walking towards the parking lot and ignore Jongdae entirely.

As they clambered into the car, Jongdae asked, “So, what movie are we watching tonight?”

“Actually, I was planning on bingeing on ‘Attack on Titan’ tonight.  I know you’ve already watched it all, but do you mind watching it again with me?  I only have like, ten episodes or so left.”

“Man, ‘Attack on Titan’ is da bomb, I’d gladly watch it again.  Which part are you at?”

“Beane and Sawyer were just discovered killed and what’s-her-face is distraught about it.  Man, I can’t wait to start unravelling the mysteries of this show.  It’s so good and well thought out, I just can’t even handle it!”

“I know man, just wait till you get to the end.  Who is your favorite character?”

“I’m a big fan of Armin, he’s just such a little cutie patootie, not to mention he’s wicked smart.”

“Yeah, Armin is great, but I prefer Mikasa, she’s so freaking bad-.  Damn, I’d kill for a woman like that.”

“Jongdae, you’d be killed if you had a woman like that, but yeah, I agree, she’s a major hottie with a body.  Though I’m a big proponent of the Armin/Eren ship, I just think they’re perfect for each other.”

“Yeah, that’s a cute ship.  A lot of people ship Levi with Eren though.  Y’know, you kind of remind me of Levi.”

“In what way, pray tell?”

“Just that you’re both horribly sarcastic and legitimately terrifying.  Not to mention, you’re both a little bit of a neat freak.”

Kyungsoo was saved from having to come up with a response to that when they pulled into the apartment garage and Kyungsoo’s mother announced, “Boys, we’re here.  Head on up to Kyungsoo’s room and I’ll go ahead and order the pizza.  Are two enough?  I know how much you eat Jongdae, don’t think for a second that I don’t.”

Jongdae gave her a sheepish look, “Yes Mrs. Do, I think two pizzas will be enough.”

“Okay, just make sure you’re not coming to me an hour later saying you’re still hungry.”

“Yes Mrs. Do.”

The rest of the night was spent very amicably with the two of them curled up around Kyungsoo’s laptop on his bed, eating pizza and some fudgy pops they found in the freezer, and watching ‘Attack on Titan’ until they both passed out around midnight.