23

Life Goes On

Kyungsoo left the next morning fairly early, assuring Kai the whole time as he left that yes, he would be at Sehun’s party.

          “You can’t back out, okay? I’ll meet you at your house at six, does that give you enough time to get ready?”

          “How much time do you think it takes me to get dressed? Geez, calm down, I’ll see you then,” Kyungsoo responded as he finally made it out the door.

          When he got home, Kyungsoo greeted his parents and took SoFo for a brief walk to clear his mind.

          The walk only did so much, however, and when Kyungsoo returned to his apartment, he found himself filled with a surplus of restless energy in anticipation for tonight.  Pacing around his room, his restlessness rubbed off onto the dog who sat down and barked at him.

          “You’re right, SoFo, I need to get myself together.”  SoFo merely yapped once again.

          “Good idea, I’ll do my homework.”

          Determined to find something to distract himself from thoughts of tonight, Kyungsoo sat down at his desk and threw himself into his homework.  So dedicated was he to keeping himself distracted, Kyungsoo flew through all of the work that he had been assigned for the next week, and even finished that long history paper that wasn’t due until the end of the month.

          When Kyungsoo finally could do no more, he leaned back in his chair and rubbed his blurry eyes.  Looking over at the clock on his desk, he was surprised and pleased to see that it was already two o’clock, and he had managed to pass by half the day.

          His stomach gurgled, reminding him that he hadn’t eaten anything all day, having left Kai’s house before his mother could wake up and offer him breakfast. Standing, Kyungsoo stretched as far as he could go, arms above his head and shirt riding up his torso.

          “Come on SoFo, let’s go eat,” Kyungsoo called the dog as he meandered out into the kitchen in search of food.  Feeling hungry, but not wanting to cook much, Kyungsoo settled on rice and tuna wrapped in squares of seaweed.  He mixed in some salt and seseme oil for flavor before plopping himself down on the couch next to his mother to watch t.v.

          “Hey sweetie, did you have a good time at Kai’s last night?”

          “Sure,” Kyungsoo said, not really paying attention as he stuffed food into his mouth and focused his eyes on the medical drama his mom had been watching before he came in.

          “What did you do together?”

          “Finished the project and watched a movie,” Kyungsoo responded, still oblivious to his mother’s leading tone.

          “Is that it?”

          “Yeah.”

          The conversation dropped off again as Kyungsoo continued to eat his food while his mother settled for watching him.  Soon enough though, she began her questioning once again.

          “Are you going over to Jongdae’s tonight?”

          “Ah, thanks for reminding me, I need to call him.  Kai’s friend Sehun invited us to a party, so I’m going to go there instead.”

          “A party, huh?” And she was suddenly distracted from her prying about his relationship with Kai.  “Is it a supervised party? Will there be alcohol? You’re still underage Kyungsoo, I don’t want you making bad decisions.”

          “Relax mom,” he brushed her off, “it’s nothing like that.  Besides, I’m a goodie-two-shoes, remember? I don’t make bad decisions.”

          “Don’t get too cocky you brat, I’m just worried is all.”

          Kyungsoo looked over at her and smiled, specks of seaweed still stuck on his teeth.  “Thanks mom, I love you too.”  He leaned over to kiss her cheek before getting up to go to the kitchen to rinse his bowl out.

          Walking back into his room, Kyungsoo grabbed his phone from beside his bed where it was charging and dialed Jongdae.

          “Hey Kyungsoo, what’s up?”

          “Hey, Baekhyun is at Taeyeon’s this weekend, right?”

          “Yeah, why, what’s going on?”

          “Uh, Kai’s friend Sehun invited me to a party tonight, and I wasn’t going to go, but Kai coerced me into it saying that Sehun doesn’t have many friends and he’d really like me to go.”

          “Uh huh, coerced you, is it?”

          “Yeah, you know me Jongdae, I’m not a big party animal, it’s not really my scene.”

          “I think that you just want an excuse to see Kai again,” Jongdae said with a knowing tone.

          “Well, that might be it a little bit.”

          “Kyungsoo, didn’t we already have this conversation?  You’re just going to end up hurt if you keep this up.”

          Kyungsoo sighed into the speaker.  “I know you’re right, that’s why this is the last time I’m going to see him outside of school.  Just let me have this, okay?  Just one last night with the boy I like before I push him out of my life and force my feelings for him to go away.”

          “I still think it’s a really bad idea, Soo, but if you think it’s what you need to do to get over him, I’m not going to stop you.  Just, be careful, yeah?”

          “Thanks for supporting me, and I’m going to be on my toes all night.  I just want to see him as him one last time before I completely begin ignoring him.  I’m sorry for bailing out on you tonight though.”

          “Eh, it’s whatever ya know.  The little cousins are stopping by for a visit later today anyway, so we wouldn’t be able to get much gaming done even if you did come.  Not to mention Bacon is MIA.”

          “You’re really the best, you know that?”

          “Yes, of course, that is why I’m so wildly popular.”

          “Oh shut up.”

          “Bye Kyungsoo.  And be careful tonight.”

          “Thanks Dae, you too.”

          After hanging up the phone with Jongdae, Kyungsoo gathered up his things to go take a shower.

          The shower was a long one, and by the time he finally got out, his fingers were shriveled and the bathroom mirror was so steamed up he couldn’t see anything in it.  Using his towel to wipe the condensation off of the looking glass to brush his teeth, Kyungsoo was struck once again with anxiety as he saw his disheveled reflection staring back at him.

          Kyungsoo suddenly realized that he had no idea what the dress code for a party was, and oh my god, what if I’m underdressed, or worse, overdressed!? Taking a few calming breaths, he quickly threw on his bathrobe before running into his room to pull apart his closet.

          Throwing clothes here and there, Kyungsoo spent the next hour and a half looking through his closet frantically for something to wear.  He tried on countless different outfits, but none seemed good enough to him.  Some of them were way too dressy, and others were so un-dressy that he may as well have been an un-showered hippie that stumbled his way there by accident.

          Finally though, after more outfit changes than could possibly be counted, Kyungsoo finally settled on a pair of dark wash skinny jeans that were tight enough to show off his form, but loose enough that his junk was not the main focus of his attire.  On the upper half of his body, he had decided on a graphic tee, coupled with a boxy denim jacket that added some bulk to his otherwise small frame.

          Admiring his outfit choice in the mirror, he thought that he actually looked quite good.  That was, until he realized that he had never done anything to his hair and it had just dried into a fluffy mess on top of his head.

          Running to the bathroom again, Kyungsoo combed some gel through his hair and styled it back out of his face, adding some finish to his otherwise pretty casual appearance.

          As he put the comb down on the bathroom sink and smoothed back any stray hairs, Kyungsoo heard the doorbell ring.

          Looking down at his watch, Kyungsoo realized it was already 5:45 and that must be Kai at the door.

          “I’ll get it!” He yelled, desperate to get there before either of his parents could to embarrass him, Kyungsoo grabbed his phone from his room and raced to the door, flinging it open a little more forcefully than he had planned.

          “Hey,” he smiled at the boy looking nervous in the doorway.

          Kai looked him up and down before responding:

          “Wow.  You look really great.”

 

 

 

 

A/N:

First of all, I want to say sorry about the short filler chapter.  I'm planning on updating again later today, I just really need a nap first.  Next chapter will be the party, are you excited? I sure am, I've been looking forward to writing it for days.

Anyway, what this A/N is really about is this: Thank You.  I checked my AFF this morning to check your guys' response, and I was shocked to see that 'Life Goes On' now has 100 SUBSCRIBERS!!! I am so grateful to all of you who have subscribed to my story, and I hope that it is everything you were looking for when you began reading it.  Your comments keep me motivated to keep writing, and never fail to make my day better.  And to all of you reading, but not commenting or subscribing, I love you too, don't worry.

I hope you all continue to look for my updates, this fic is coming to an end.  I plan on finishing it in the next few days, but no later then by the end of the week.

Much love and whole lot of thanks from your happy author.