1

Life Goes On

“Yo, Kyungsoo!” were the first words that Do Kyungsoo heard upon entering the school building that morning.

          “Yeah?” he inquired, turning to look at his friend Jongdae, who was way too bright and awake for 8:00 in the morning.

          “Hey, did you finish your bio worksheet? I accidentally-on-purpose neglected to do it last night and I have it next period. Can I copy yours? I’ll have it back to you by lunch. Pretty please? Pretty please with a cherry on top? Pretty please with a cherry and whipped cream on top? With sprinkles too?” Jongdae said all this without giving Kyungsoo a proper chance to reply, all the while a sickeningly sweet, imploring look was plastered across his sharp face.

          “Jesus Christ Jongdae, I let you copy it every freaking day, there is literally no reason to add so many toppings to your ‘pretty please.’ I cannot handle so much sugar so early on in the day, you know it makes me queasy.”

          Jongdae’s lips turned up into that Cheshire Cat smile that was so often to be seen gracing the expanse of space just below his small nose and just above his square chin. “Thanks hyung, you’re the best!” he exclaimed, slinging his arm around Kyungsoo’s thin shoulders as he dug around in his backpack for his bio homework.

          As Kyungsoo’s searching hand finally grabbed a hold of what it was looking for, a shoulder slammed into his, causing him to stumble forward a few steps.  He would likely have fallen completely to the ground had it not been for Jongdae’s arm steadying him.

          “.”

          That was all Kim Jongin, more commonly known as Kai, said as he brushed past the two of them and continued on his way down the hall.

          “What a ,” Jongdae murmured as Kyungsoo handed him his completed biology worksheet.

          “Yeah, but what are you gonna do?  You can’t change him, you can only ignore his obnoxious presence.”

          Jongdae leveled his gaze at Kyungsoo and replied in the same way he typically replied when this particular conversation occurred.  “Kyungsoo, I’m obnoxious, Kai is just a downright .  You can’t continue to let him treat you this way. Especially because that little is a grade below you! Come on, man up and beat the crap out of him, I know you can. He thinks he’s tough , but I’ve seen you fight, you’re a little fiery ball of fists and pain when you decide you wanna win.”

“Jongdae, I will not stoop to his level. Besides, we’re graduating at the end of the year anyway and I’ll be rid of him for good. And once he gets out into the real world, he’ll quickly learn that he can’t get away with half the stuff he does now and he’ll have that harsh reality check to deal with then. I’ll let him have his fun now while he still can and be satisfied and comforted with the knowledge that he’ll be on the lowest rung of the social ladder when he’s working under me in the future.

“And let me remind you that the fighting you are referring to is boxing; a sportsmanlike and relatively safe environment where the objective is not to cause actual pain.  You know I could never hurt a fly.”

Jongdae just heaved a great sigh and ruffled Kyungsoo’s perfectly coiffed hair which earned him a look of disdain from the now disheveled person.

“Now who is the ?  How many times have I told you not to touch my hair?!” Kyungsoo exclaimed in mock anger.

It worked; the smile was now back on Jongdae’s face.  “Yeah, yeah hyung, your hair is a thing of beauty not to be trifled with, I get it.  Now if you don’t mind, I have to get to homeroom or I’m never going to get finished copying your homework before class.”

“ off,” was Kyungsoo’s chuckled reply as they both separated and went to their respective homerooms.