7

Life Goes On

Kyungsoo was the first in the locker room for gym.  Fortunately for him, he had in fact left his sneakers in his gym locker.

“Oh thank the Lord.”

“What’s with the praise?” Jongdae inquired as he and Baekhyun joined Kyungsoo in their area of the locker room.

“Haha, nothing important, I just left my sneakers here like I’d hoped I had.  I was worried I was going to have to do gym in my Toms.  I’m not sure how much the teacher would like that.”

Just then, Kai walked into the locker room.  As he continued on his way to his own friends, he made sure to flick Kyungsoo off.

Kyungsoo’s only response was to roll his eyes and finish changing for gym.

“Is something wrong?” Baekhyun inquired curiously.

“Yeah, that seemed a little more vehement than usual,” Jongdae put in his two cents.

“Nothing critical.  We got paired up in English class for a two week long project, and Kai hasn’t taken too kindly to it.”

“Good luck with that, man,” Jongdae sympathized, clapping a hand onto Kyungsoo’s shoulder and giving it a firm squeeze.  “Let me know if he becomes too much of an , I’ll set him right as rain for you.”

“Don’t worry Kyunggie, I’m sure Kai will do his fair share of the project.”

Kyungsoo shot him a look for the ‘Kyunggie,’ but responded amicably, “Yeah, he certainly will.  I already threatened to remove all of his limbs if he doesn’t.”

“Day-um Kyungsoo, I sure am glad I’m your friend, I’d fear for my life if I weren’t!” Jongdae exclaimed, a hand outstretched in his attempt to be gangsta’ to match his use of ‘dayum.’

“You should be more terrified to be my friend, Jongdae; closer proximity means more chances for me to dismember you.”

And with that, Kyungsoo headed out of the locker room, Jongdae jogging to catch up.  Baekhyun on the other hand went to hang out with Kai as he typically did before the period actually started.

Gym class today was apparently going to be comprised of a rousing game of dodge ball.

“ing yes! I love dodge ball!”

“Kim Jongdae!” came the authoritative voice of their gym teacher.  “While I appreciate your enthusiasm for this class, your language is not appropriate, kindly give me a lap around the gym while your peers are split into teams.”

“Yessir!” Jongdae said with much too large of a smile for someone that was just told to run in a circle, or rather, a square.

“Now the rest of you, line up on the sideline and I’m going to count you off by twos!”  There was a mad rush of bodies trying to organize themselves so they would be counted off with numbers that corresponded with those of their friends.

The pushing and shoving of bodies was more that Kyungsoo wanted to deal with, so he simply placed himself at the end of the line, figuring he would end up with whoever he would end up with.  Ultimately, it didn’t matter as he was un-athletic and would likely end up getting hit and out of the game in the initial frantic five minutes.

“Load of heathens,” Kyungsoo whispered under his breath, earning him a curious look from the person next to him.  Kyungsoo simply shrugged his shoulders and waited for the teacher to begin counting them off as Jongdae finished his lap and joined him at the end of the line.

“Sup Soo?”

“Ew, how are you already sweaty?”

“What can I say? I’m a man’s man,” he responded in his deepest voice, slinging a sweaty arm around Kyungsoo’s neck and putting him in a playful headlock.

“Shove off you gorilla!” Kyungsoo exclaimed, pushing the sweaty ape away from him and righting himself once more.

“No need for name calling, Soo Soo.”

“Kim Jongdae, I will eat you alive!”

Jongdae was not afforded the opportunity to respond, however, as at that time they were both given their numbers, different of course, and forced to go to opposite sides of the gym.

Kyungsoo looked around himself at his team.  He had neither Jongdae nor Baekhyun, and it looked as if Kai was also on the opposing team.

Great, he thought to himself, now I have three people who will specifically be targeting me.

The gym teacher blew his whistle to begin the game, and there was a mad rush of students to the center line to grab as many balls for their team as they could.  Kyungsoo hung back, preferring to wait for a ball to roll his way.

Sooner than he could have dreamed, balls were flying across the room every which way and his opportunity to pick one up came before he would have liked.

He grabbed it and carried it closer to the center line, knowing he would never be able to throw it from all the way in the back where he was.  As he neared the other team, he set his sights on Baekhyun and Jongdae.

Jongdae, as was to be expected by a gym class enthusiast, was whipping balls across the room so fast that Kyungsoo could not help but to feel really sorry for his pitiable targets.  Baekhyun on the other hand, was playing like a much saner human being.   Yes, he was participating more actively than Kyungsoo, but he lacked the zealous fervor that clearly ran through Jongdae’s veins.

Kyungsoo decided on Baekhyun as his target and launched his ball as hard and fast as he could at him.  Unfortunately, Kyungsoo was not a particularly good shot, and the ball missed Baekhyun by miles.  His throw did however have the effect of drawing Baekhyun’s attention to himself.

Baekhyun eyed him up and down with a predatory look on his feline face and proceeded to lob his ball as hard as he could at Kyungsoo.

Through some miracle, Kyungsoo successfully caught Baekyun’s well-aimed ball, thus putting him out of the game.

“Hah! Take that Byun Baek – “