31

Life Goes On

After his confession, Kai was unwilling to leave Kyungsoo’s side.

“Can I stay here tonight Soo?” He asked pleadingly, nestling his face further in between Kyungsoo’s neck and shoulder, his warm breath tickling slightly.

“I was supposed to go on a date with Kris tonight.” Kyungsoo reminded him teasingly.

Kai tightened his arms around Kyungsoo saying, “Cancel.”

Kyungsoo just sighed, reaching out for his phone and dialing Kris’s number.

“Hello?” He picked up after the second ring.  “What’s up Kyungsoo?  I was just about to leave to come get you.”

Kyungsoo felt terrible about what it is he had to do next.  He really liked Kris, and he didn’t want to hurt him after everything that he had done for him.  But Kyungsoo knew himself well.  It was Kai that he wanted, it had been Kai the whole time he was with Kris, but that didn’t mean that he wanted to hurt Kris’s feelings.  The older boy had been so nice and understanding towards his situation, Kyungsoo felt that it was unfair of him to be doing what he was about to do.

However, Kyungsoo also knew it was the right thing to do, so he took a breath and said, “Kris, I’m going to have to cancel tonight.”

“It’s okay, we can reschedule.  When’s a better time for you?”

“I don’t think, I don’t think we will be rescheduling.”

“Oh.”

“Kris, I am so sorry, you’re such a great person.  You’ve been so kind to me and I really had a good time while this lasted, however brief.  And our date last week was better than I could have ever hoped.  It’s just that…”

“There’s someone else.”

“I’m sorry, Kris.”

“It’s Kai, right?  To be honest, I thought there was something up with you two, especially after he crashed our date.”

“Kris, I am so sorry.  I never meant to lead you on, I was really trying to make this work with you, but…”

“It’s okay, Soo.  Sure, I’m disappointed, I really like you, but the heart’s a funny thing and we can’t always make it do what we want it to.”

“Kris, I – “

“No more apologies, Kyungsoo.  Our time together, even though it was short, is something I’ll remember forever.  I hope you and Kai are happy together.”

“Thanks, Kris.  And I know that you’ll find someone that will make you unbelievably happy, who will treat you as well as you treat them.”

“Goodbye, Kyungsoo.”

“Goodbye, Kris,” and on that final note, Kyungsoo hung up the phone.

While he had been talking, Kai had remained wrapped around him in a hug.  Now though, he pulled away to look at Kyungsoo in the face.

“I’m sorry I asked you to do that.”

“No you’re not,” Kyungsoo gave him a wry smile.

“You’re right, I’m not.” And Kai smiled brighter than Kyungsoo could remember him ever doing before.

Kyungsoo’s own smile slipped off his face.  Not because he wasn’t happy, but because he was suddenly overcome by his feelings for the boy in front of him.  He liked him so very much, and it felt like a beautiful dream that he was in to have Kai sitting across from him, an uninhibited smile stretched across his face.

“Why, what’s wrong?”

“Nothing at all,” Kyungsoo responded, his own heart-shaped smile stretching across his face.  “Not a thing.”

The two of them sat there like that on the bed for a while longer, smiling and snatching shy glances at each other.  Soon though, the soft quiet of the peace between them was interrupted by a loud gurgle from Kai’s stomach.

When his stomach made its sound of protest, Kai’s eyes widened in an expression of shock and embarrassment, while Kyungsoo laughed as hard as he knew how, both at the hilarity of the situation, and at Kai’s mortified expression.

“Come on,” he finally said between laughs, “Let’s go and order some pizza.”

Kyungsoo got up off of the bed and took a hold of Kai’s hand, leading him off the bed, out of the room, and into the living room where his mom was watching t.v.

“Did you two make up?” She asked, not even bothering to look up at them.

“Yeah,” Kyungsoo responded shyly, Kai standing close behind him and looking mildly uncomfortable.

“I’m glad to hear it.  Why don’t you boys have a seat on the couch.  I’ve already ordered the pizza, and it should be here soon.  Kai, I hope you like mushroom.”

“I love mushroom, Mrs. Do,” he replied politely as he and Kyungsoo sat next to each other on the couch.

As they settled in to wait for the pizza, Kai let go of Kyungsoo’s hand and hesitantly put an arm around the smaller boy’s shoulders.

Kyungsoo was a little surprised by the action, but he took it in stride, finally nestling into Kai’s side as he had been dreaming about for the past two and a half weeks.  It was everything he had imagined it would be and more.  Kai was just a little bit taller than Kyungsoo, and it made for the perfect height difference for Kyungsoo to rest his head on Kai’s shoulder comfortably, the hair on the top of his head ever so slightly tickling against Kai’s jaw.

In that moment, both Kyungsoo and Kai felt that they were the happiest they had ever been, and neither of them wanted it to end.

It did, and sooner rather than later when the pizza arrived.

The two boys ate their pizza with Kyungsoo’s mom, enjoying laughter and light-hearted conversation with her.

When dinner was over, they made their way back to Kyungsoo’s room, settling on the bed to watch a movie.  When the movie began to play, Kai once again put his arm around Kyungsoo’s shoulders, this time, also grabbing a hold of Kyungsoo’s legs and pulling them over his own lap so that Kyungsoo was essentially curled into his side like a child.

Shortly after they both got comfortable in this position, Kai reached a hand up towards the back of Kyungsoo’s head and began running his fingers through the boy’s soft hair.  Kyungsoo leaned his head into Kai’s hand, enjoying the sensation and the comfort of it all.

Halfway through the movie, Kyungsoo could feel Kai’s hand slip out of his hair and drop away from his head.  Looking up at the person he was cuddled in to, Kyungsoo smiled at the sight of Kai fast asleep, his head leaning against the headboard.

“You know,” Kyungsoo whispered, “One of these days you’re going to have to actually finish watching a movie with me.”

As was his habit, Kyungsoo gently sat up and pulled away from Kai, shifting the boy so that he was laying down, his head on a pillow and his long legs sprawled out.

Kyungsoo made as if to get off the bed, but as he was leaving, a pair of strong arms wrapped around him, pulling him back down so he too was laying on his side.  Kai said nothing, merely nuzzling his face into the back of Kyungsoo’s head, puffing warm, sleepy breaths against the nape of his neck.

Kyungsoo smiled brightly, though none could see it, and shifted himself backwards into Kai’s embrace.  Calmed by the feeling of Kai’s heart beating in rhythm to his own, Kyungsoo dropped off into the first peaceful slumber he had had in two weeks.