2.

Life Goes On

The incident that occurred with Kai earlier in the morning was not a particularly uncommon one.  It was nothing extraordinary really, just your typical run-of-the-mill case of bullying.  Kyungsoo was, as far as he knew, the only gay kid in the entire school.  Let me rephrase that, the only gay boy in the entire school.  There was a lesbian couple that everyone pretty much left alone because the one girl, Amber, looked like she could beat the ever living out of anyone that crossed her.  Kyungsoo found her reputation funny considering she was actually a really nice girl and a quasi-friend of his.

Anyway, back to the situation at hand.  As if being gay wasn’t bad enough, Kyungsoo, before his coming out, already had the label of nerd.  He always did well in classes, rarely did poorly on a test or paper, was liked by the vast majority of teachers, and was just overall your stereotypical nerd.  Though he did like to think that he made better fashion choices than the typical nerd.  He didn’t wear pocket protectors or suspenders (ususally), and his pants were an appropriate length.  He knew wearing white socks for any occasion outside of exercise was a major fashion faux pas, and his glasses were chic and stylish, albeit thick and heavy.

Being a nerd did mean that the pool of people from which he could pick his friends was limited to other nerds.  This he didn’t mind, he wasn’t really the type who enjoyed many friends anyway.  He was content with having Jongdae as his best friend, though he wasn’t entirely sure how Jongdae was given the status of nerd considering he was such a slacker, not to mention a prankster.  Actually, come to think of it, the only thing about Kim Jongdae that could possibly translate into nerd was the fact that his grades managed to be outstanding, despite the minimal amount of effort he put into them.

Kyungsoo did have one other friend, though he was not nearly as close to him as he was to Jongdae.  He and Baekhyun became friends through their common interest in singing.  They were often paired up in choir, and because of this, they became unlikely friends.  Unlikely because Baekhyun was technically one of the quote unquote, popular kids.  He was a bit of a diva which often made Kyungsoo wonder as to how he was not labelled “,” especially with his excessive use of eyeliner, but ah well, life is not fair.

It’s not like Kyungsoo wanted him to be bullied as well. He liked Baekhyun, he really did.  Despite his social standing, he had no problem with making friends with those considered to be social outcasts.  Honestly, the best thing about Baekhyun was that, as long as he liked your personality, he really didn’t care where you happened to fall in the school’s absurd social hierarchy. This did, however, mean that he was also friends with Kai, which tended to put a little bit of a strain on the relationship between him and Kyungsoo, not that Kyungsoo would ever consciously hold it against him.

And this brings us full circle to the original topic of debate: Kim Kai.  Kyungsoo had no idea why Kai enjoyed bullying him so much.  Sure, yeah, he was gay and was teased often because of it, but Kai seemed to have a personal vendetta against him, and it was unfathomable to poor Kyungsoo.  Jongdae, in moments of outrage, liked to say it was because Kai was secretly gay as well and was jealous that Kyungsoo was able to be so out about his own uality.  And though this did make Kyungsoo feel better, mostly because it was Jongdae’s way of telling him he admired his strength, Kyungsoo was less inclined to believe it.

No, Kyungsoo could not come up with a single likely reason for Kai’s behavior.  Not that he particularly cared though.  Kai’s bullying never was anything more physical than a rough bump to the shoulder as was the case earlier that morning, and Kyungsoo just could not find it within himself to give a flying about what the Great Kim Kai thought of him.

Kyungsoo contented himself with the knowledge that Kai’s immense popularity came primarily from his stunning good looks and his ability to dance like some piece of fluid – you know what, I have no idea where I was going with this comparison.

Anyway, none of this would translate out into the real world.  Kai’s killer good looks and magical dancing would only get him so far, and his dickish personality would inhibit him from getting even as far as those things would otherwise allow him.

So, with all this in mind, Kyungsoo made it a point to never rise to the challenge of Kai’s taunting, and instead continued on his merry way.  An added bonus, as he reminded Jongdae earlier, he was graduating at the end of the year.  He had big plans for college, planning on majoring in business and/or public relations and then continuing on to manage his father’s publishing company when they both felt the time was right.

It was only halfway through September, and Kyungsoo had no intentions of rushing through his senior year because, despite the bullying from Kai, Kyungsoo really did enjoy school, and he especially enjoyed learning (and sometimes even assisting Jongdae in his daily shenanigans.)  No, Kyungsoo had no desire for the year to end quickly, and was more than happy with letting life continue idly on.