11

Life Goes On

Later that day, Kyungsoo decided that he wanted to enjoy the lovely weather, and he wanted to enjoy it with SoFo.

“SoFo! Come’re puppy doggie! Come on! Let’s go for Walkies? Huh? Let’s go for Walkies?”

SoFo responded enthusiastically to Kyungsoo’s crooning voice, racing from his spot in the living room to his leash by the door.

“Who’s a cute little Sausage Fox?” He sang as he once again attached the leash to his lovely dog’s collar.

“Come on baby boy, let’s go!”

The two of them raced out through the lobby and onto the sidewalk as soon as the elevator doors opened.  They wove their way amongst the few pedestrians in the neighborhood and ran as fast as the little Corgi’s legs could carry them to the park.

When they reached their destination, Kyungsoo removed the leash from SoFo’s collar and exchanged it for a Frisbee in his backpack.

“SoFo! Fetch!” Kyungsoo shouted excitedly as he tossed the Frisbee as far as he could.  SoFo chased after it as best he could with his stumpy little legs which caused Kyungsoo to guffaw loudly.

SoFo somehow managed to catch the Frisbee between his teeth and came sprinting back to his owner.  Kyungsoo squatted down in anticipation of his return and was rewarded by being tackled to the ground and covered in slobbery puppy kisses and nibbles.

Giggling manically, Kyungsoo pushed the overweight sausage off of himself and once again stood up, Frisbee in hand.

“Get it SoFo!” he exclaimed as he threw the Frisbee with all his might across the park.

SoFo took off running in the direction of the Frisbee which Kyungsoo realized too late was headed on a crash-course with some poor bystander’s head.  Kyungsoo followed his dog in his pursuit of the Frisbee, hoping that he would somehow miraculously be able to intercept it before it hit the poor boy’s head, but he knew this was impossible as he was so far away, the boy wouldn’t even be able to hear him shout.

Kyungsoo was about halfway there and was beginning to get hints of recognition before the boy was knocked over backwards by the force of the Frisbee, and then consequently covered in Corgi Kisses.

“SoFo, get off of him!” Kyungsoo frantically shouted as he neared the boy.

“Oh my God, are you okay? I’m so, so sorry!”

“Yeah, I’m fine,” the boy said as he sat up, rubbing his head.

“,” was the only thing Kyungsoo was able to say as the boy removed his hand from his face and Kyungsoo determined that no, this was not some random bystander, the fates had aligned themselves against Kyungsoo and decided that today would be the day that he would see Kai twice outside of school.

“Do Kyungsoo, I should have ing known it was you.  Who else is so capable of ruining my day?”

“Look, I’m sorry for smacking you in the head with the Frisbee, I promise you it wasn’t on purpose.  Though it does make up for you slamming me in the head with a dodge ball I guess.”

Kai just levelled a stare at him, clearly unamused by Kyungsoo’s attempt at humor.

“Whatever,” he said as Kyungsoo reached down to put SoFo’s leash back on and stow the Frisbee back in his bag.

While he was doing this, Kai attempted to stand up.  Halfway to full height, he wobbled and would have fallen over yet again if it weren’t for Kyungsoo throwing his arms out and steadying him.

“Don’t ing touch me you !” Kai yelled as he attempted to push Kyungsoo away from him.  All that this succeeded in doing was ending him sprawled back on the ground, a hand once again pressed to his head in an attempt to stop the spinning.

“Look, you’re clearly not doing well, how far away do you live?”

“About a twenty minute walk.”

“Nope, too far,” Kyungsoo decided, “I guess I’ll just have to take you back to my house, it’s only a five minute walk from here, though it’ll probably take longer in your condition.”

Kyungsoo reched a hand out to Kai to help him up, but Kai just glared at it.

Kyungsoo heaved yet another one of his soon to be patented sighs.

“Look, it’s either I take you back to my house so my mom can drive you home, or you’re left sitting here, the world spinning around you, waiting for God knows how long for the dizziness to subside before you manage to stumble your way home.”

With Kyungsoo’s flawless logic, Kai’s shoulders drooped noticeably in defeat as he reached out to take Kyungsoo’s hand.  Not wasting time, Kyungsoo grabbed onto his wrist with his other, dog-hindered hand, and heaved Kai to his feet.

“I know this makes you uncomfortable because you’re worried my gay germs are going to rub off on you, but you’re going to have to put your arm around my shoulders and lean your weight against me, or else we’re never going to get you home.”

Kai shot him the filthiest look he could manage, but nonetheless did what he was told.  As Kai pressed up against him, Kyungsoo could not help but take note of the astonishing warmth radiating from Kai’s velvet skin and thinking it was almost pleasant.

Setting these thoughts aside, Kyungsoo began leading them towards his home, grateful that SoFo was behaving.

The going was slow, but soon enough, Kyungsoo could feel Kai’s body losing its tense posture, and instead relaxing into his side.

“So, your dog, what’s its name?”

Kyungsoo smiled slightly to himself at Kai’s attempt at small talk.  “His name is SoFo.”

“SoFo, the hell kind of a name is that?”

“It’s short for Sausage Fox, you know, because his face kind of looks like a fox, but his body is most definitely shaped like a sausage.”

“You’re ing weird.”

“I am aware.”

The rest of the walk back to Kyungsoo’s apartment was in silence, but Kyungsoo felt that, at least on his part, the silence wasn’t entirely uncomfortable.

They finally reached his apartment after about ten minutes of walking, and Kyungsoo lead him into the kitchen where he deposited him on a chair.

“Stay here a moment, I’m going to go get the first aide kit.”

“What, why!? What’s wrong?” Kai asked frantically, bringing his hand up to his face and bringing it back down to realize that this time there was blood.

“Oh my God, what did you do!?”

“Seriously, relax, it’s just a small cut, your pretty face has nothing to fear.”

“If it’s such a small cut, then why the hell is it bleeding so much!?”

Kyungsoo just shrugged his shoulders and smiled slightly at his panic.  “Head wounds bleed a lot, it’s just the way they are.”

And with that, he left Kai panicking in the kitchen to go retrieve the first aide kit from the bathroom.

When he returned, Kai had calmed down considerably, though his eyebrows were still furrowed together slightly in consternation.

Kyungsoo deposited the kit on the table next to him and ripped open an alcohol pad.  Leaning in close to Kai’s face, he dabbed it lightly against the cut, earning a hiss from Kai.

“God, don’t be such a pansy, feel the burn, love the burn.”

“You’re so goddamn strange.”

“Yes, you’ve said that previously.”

Kyungsoo returned to lightly cleaning the wound with the burning alcohol pad, stopping only once it was entirely disinfected.

When he pulled his hand away, he glanced down and noticed that Kai was staring at him intensely.

Pulling back slightly to find a band-aide and some Neosporin, he asked, “What? Do I have something on my face?”

“No, it’s nothing, don’t worry about it.”

Kyungsoo merely glanced at him curiously before continuing his work.

When his boo boo was fully taken care of, Kyungsoo and his mother helped Kai into the backseat of her car where he proceeded to give her directions to his house.

Kai lived much closer to him than he realized, and Kyungsoo wasn’t entirely sure what to do with this revelation.

He was saved from having to ponder it further when they reached their destination and he had to assist Kai out of the car and into his apartment complex.

They rode the elevator up in silence, all the while, Kai leaned softly against Kyungsoo.  When they finally reached the right floor, Kai lead Kyungsoo to his apartment where he punched in the passcode and opened the door.

The two of them stumbled into Kai’s house, and Kyungsoo quickly deposited him on the couch of the living room.  He turned around to leave and was almost out the door when Kai called out:

“Hey Kyungsoo?”

“Yeah?” addressed boy inquired, peaking his head back through the door.

Kai turned slightly red as he looked away to examine the embroidery on the pillow he was clutching that suddenly seemed to become immensely fascinating to him.

“Thanks.”