4

Life Goes On

Kyungsoo neared his locker, mentally listing the books he needed to switch out for the second half of his day.  He had bio after lunch, oh, and today was a gym day so he needed to make sure to grab his sneakers too.  Did he even bring his sneakers today? Are they still there from when he had gym the other day?  He thinks this must be the case.

          Caught up with his mental check-list, Kyungsoo opens his locker only to have it slam shut in his face and make him jump about two feet.

          Heart racing from the adrenaline, Kyungsoo turned to see who the culprit was, though he already had a pretty good idea.

          “Kim Kai, fancy seeing you here.”

          Kai was leaned against the locker next to his, arm folded across his chest.  Kyungsoo may not like the twit, but even he couldn’t deny the glory that was Kim Jongin’s physique.  The muscles of his arms twisting around under caramel colored skin was a true thing of beauty, and the lean build of the rest of him certainly suited his tall frame.

          Okay, well maybe not exactly tall, not like that freaky Chanyeol kid that Baekhyun was friends with (seriously, who was he not friends with?), but nonetheless still taller than little Kyungsoo.  This meant that Kyungsoo had to tilt his head up in order to glare up at the one who tried his best to make him miserable.  Even with the unflattering angle their height differences afforded, Kai’s face was still extremely good looking.  His strong jaw was off-set by thick lips and large eyes that weren’t much darker than his smooth and tan skin.

          His tousled hair was swept back from his face, allowing for his strong eyebrows to be a point of focus.  Kyungsoo couldn’t help but to think that all you needed to do was put him in a leather studded jacket and turn him to black and white and you’d see an Old Hollywood scene.  Maybe like, Asian Elvis Presley or something along those lines.

          Kyungsoo was only allowed a second or two to admire the attractive antagonist of his life’s story before Kai’s thick lips parted to form his words.

          “Look at the little , all by himself at his locker.  Where’s the queer whisperer, Jongdae?”

          Kyungsoo had to use all of his mental fortitude to not roll his eyes at Kai.  No matter how hard he tried, Kai just really wasn’t cut out for verbal abuse, his words just weren’t cutting enough, and so easy to pull apart it almost wasn’t fair to him.  Kyungsoo knew that if he wanted to be a real bully, Kai would have to start being a little more physical, but Kai, despite all his posturing, was just not enough of a terrible person to revert to physical altercations.

          Kyungsoo sighed and ran his fingers through the hair that said “queer whisperer” screwed up earlier in the day.

          “Okay, first of all, if you’re going to insult Jongdae for hanging around me, you’re gonna have to attack Baekhyun too because he spents just as much time with me.  This I know to not be a viable solution to you as you and he are also good friends.  So, unless you want to be rude to your own friend, I would suggest not involving my friends in your attempted insults towards me.”

          Kai opened his mouth as if he were about to respond, but Kyungsoo threw a finger to his lips, interrupting him.

          “Ah ah ah, I wasn’t finished.  Secondly, the use of the term ‘’ has no effect whatsoever because as someone who actually knows how to read a book, I can inform you that original meaning of the word is nothing more than a bundle of sticks.  Now, I don’t know about you, but I don’t think that’s a particularly biting insult.

          “And, last but not least, you’re really hurting yourself at this particular moment in time with the way you’re leaning against that locker.  It seems rather intimate and suggestive, wouldn’t you say?  That girl over there certainly seems to think so.”

          Kai glanced behind him to see what Kyungsoo was talking about and caught the inquisitive look said random student threw his way.

          Kai, sensing his loss, immediately sprang up off of the locker.

          “Whatever, dickwad,” was the best he was able to come up with.  As he left for the cafeteria, Kai roughly shoved Kyungsoo into the wall of lockers.  The sound may have been loud, but the pain was minimal; Kyungsoo doubted he’d even have a bruise when all was said and done.

          With yet another exasperated sigh, Kyungsoo finished up at his locker and hurried to meet Baekhyun and Jongdae for lunch.