22

Life Goes On

Kyungsoo drug his feet to Kai’s house, both looking forward to, and dreading the night ahead of him.  He was glad they were going to finish the project tonight, as with the end of the project came the end of their time together, a bittersweet realization.

          He didn’t want to stop seeing Kai, the boy he’s come to like very, very much, but he knew that if he took the path that allowed him to keep seeing Kai, it would only end in pain.  Kyungsoo had not a hope of Kai reciprocating his feelings, knowing that there was no way Kai would be able to go from hating him because he’s gay, to developing feelings for him.  Hell, it was unlikely they’d ever even be friends.  Kyungsoo knew that to hope otherwise was just wishful thinking.

          As Kyungsoo was let into the apartment by Kai’s smiling mother, he prepared himself for this to be the last time he hung out with Kai, and he decided to make the most of it.

          Meandering into his room, Kyungsoo greeted Kai cheerfully.

          “Hey Kyungsoo, are you ready?”

          Kyungsoo replied affirmatively, and the two of them immersed themselves in their English project for the last time.

          Two hours later, they were finally done.

          “Wow, I can’t believe we did it.  Can you believe that we finally finished our project Kyungsoo?  I feel so free.”

          “Yeah, it’s hard to believe I won’t be seeing your face outside of school anymore.  Feels weird,” his resolve to make the best of this last night soured by the reality that this was their last night.

          “What do you mean?” And there was something hidden behind Kai’s eyes that Kyungsoo just couldn’t interpret; fear, maybe.

          “The whole reason we started spending time together was because of this project, now that we’re done, there’s no reason to keep seeing each other.”

          “Why are you saying things like that?”

          “Kai, don’t forget, we’re not actually friends.  You hate my guts, remember?”

          “Kyungsoo, what’s wrong?” Kai asked imploringly.  “Please tell me.”

          “There’s nothing wrong, I’m just reminding you of the reality of our situation, is all.  You don’t want to see me again, and I sure as hell don’t want to see you anymore.”

          “You don’t mean that.”

          “Don’t I?” Kyungsoo spat out.

          Kai was hurt by his words, Kyungsoo could see it on his face and it made him feel horrible, but he was too scared of exposing himself, exposing his feelings, to rescind his statement.

          “Do you want to know what I think?” Kai began quietly.

          “No, I don’t,” Kyungsoo turned away from him so that he no longer had to see his face, no longer had to see the hurt.

          "I think that you’re scared.”

          “Why on earth would you think that?” He almost yelled in response.

          “You’re a creature of habit, Kyungsoo, change scares you.  We went years hating each other, and now because of this project, we’ve become almost friends, and that scares you.  You don’t want to admit to yourself, let alone to me, that you like spending time with me and that I’m not the you always thought I was.

          “I know what you’re feeling.  I hated you so much for such a long time without a clear reason, but after being forced to spend time with you, I realize that my hatred was unfounded.  I realize that I actually like spending time with you.  You’re unbelievably smart and unintentionally funny, and that’s something I was never prepared for.

          “When we started this project, all I wanted was for it to end quickly, but now that it has, I’m not ready for it.  I’m not ready to stop being your friend, Kyungsoo, and I don’t think you’re ready to stop being mine.”

          “We’re not friends, Kai.  We never will be either, so stop wasting your time.”

          “I know I have no right to ask this of you, not after all I’ve put you through, but before you decide to push me back out of your life, can we at least spend tonight pretending to be friends? One last time?”

          Kyungsoo remained silent, thinking hard about his response. He wanted so badly for Kai to remain as a fixture in his life, but he knew Jongdae was right, there was no way that it could end in anything but pain, and he had to get out while he was still ahead.

          Despite his logical reasonings, he just couldn’t get his mouth to form the word ‘no.’  Kai stepped out of his comfort zone to say the things he just did, and Kyungsoo admired his bravery.  Angry at himself for what he was about to do, Kyungsoo inhaled and exhaled slowly.

          “Alright.”

          “What was that?” and Kyungsoo could just hear the grin that Kai now had on his face.

          Turning to Kai and looking him square in the eye, Kyungsoo said, “Okay.  But just for tonight, after that, we go back to being strangers.”

          “You made the right decision, Kyungsoo,” Kai said, fluffing Kyungsoo’s hair.

          “We’ll see.”

          “Boys, dinner is ready!” Mrs. Kim’s voice rang out from the kitchen.

          “Coming mom!” Kai responded.  He placed his hand on Kyungsoo’s back, leading him out of the room, and Kyungsoo couldn’t help but to notice how warm it was.

          When they sat down to dinner, Kai’s mom began the conversation.  “So how is the project coming along? Almost done?”

          “We actually just finished it Mrs. Kim.”

          “I’m glad to hear it, it’s due Monday, isn’t it? I’m sure you’ll be getting As considering how much time you kids put into it.  I doubt anybody else worked that hard on it.”

          “I hope we do.”

          “So what’s the plan for the rest of the night, then? Don’t tell me you’re just going home Kyungsoo, I love having you around the house.”

          “I think we’re just going to watch a movie or something,” Kai replied to his mother between bites.

          “Ooh, what movie?”

          “Don’t know, it’s up to Soo.”

          “Soo, is it?” Kai’s mom winked and Kyungsoo blushed furiously.

          “Yeah, there’s nothing in particular I feel like watching,” Kai continued, oblivious to the tone in his mother’s voice and the accompanying embarrassment from Kyungsoo.

          “So Kyungsoo, what’ll it be?”

          Kyungsoo pondered the question for a little before he responded.  Normally, he would say something action-packed like ‘Avengers’ in order to not completely embarrass himself, but he figured he had nothing to lose as this was their last night together anyway.

          “I’m thinking we should watch ‘Tangled.’  I love that movie, it’s so much fun.”

          “Ooh, good choice.  I think that little chameleon is such a great character, I really wish there was more of him in it.”

          “Yeah, it’s cute, but I like Flynn the best.  I think it’s great how he drops his cool guy persona for the girl he loves.  Not to mention he’s devilishly handsome.”

          Kai began choking on his food, his face turning bright red.  Kyungsoo smirked slightly at the reaction his comment had garnered, while Kai’s mother just sent Kyungsoo a knowing look and handed Kai a glass of water.

          “How many times have I told you, you need to actually chew your food, Kai dear.”

          “Yes mom,” he choked out while Kyungsoo openly laughed at his situation.

          “Stop laughing or you’re going to end up the same way,” Kai attempted to threaten, but was interrupted by another cough.

          Kyungsoo merely laughed harder and responded with an insincere, “Yeah, okay.”

          The rest of dinner passed by without a hitch, and Kai’s mother sent them into Kai’s room assuring Kyungsoo that she didn’t need help with the dishes, and “you two boys just go have fun.”

          When they got to Kai’s room, he instantly plopped down on his bed and began pulling up Netflix, while Kyungsoo grabbed the computer chair and made as if to roll it over beside the bed as he did last week.

          “Wait, Kyungsoo.”

          Turning from what he was doing, he looked at Kai and asked, “What is it?”

          “Maybe,” he fidgeted restlessly on the bed, “Maybe you can try sitting on the bed too?  If it’s you, I think I might be okay.”

          Kyungsoo flushed bright red because of Kai’s sincerety, but made his way over to the bed anyway.  “Okay, just, tell me if you’re too uncomfortable and I’ll get off right away.”

          “Thanks, it really means a lot to me,” he said with complete honesty as Kyungsoo began to clamber onto the bed.

          Kai sat ramrod straight and completely stiff as Kyungsoo settled himself down beside him, their legs both sticking straight out along the bed, side by side.  Kyungsoo couldn’t help noticing how much longer Kai’s legs were than his, but focused on the situation at hand.  “Is this okay?”

          “I think it’ll be fine.  I just, I just need to adjust.  Let’s start the movie to take my mind off of it.”

          “Okay, whatever you need.”

          “Wait, Kyungsoo?”

          “Yeah?”

          “Will you please come with me to Sehun’s party tomorrow? I already promised him you’d be there, and he’s really excited.  He doesn’t have all that many friends, and he seems to really like you.”

          “I like him too, he seems like a sweet kid, but Kai, parties just really aren’t my thing, they make me really uncomfortable.”

          “Kyungsoo, if there’s one thing that you’ve taught me, it’s that we have to do the things that make us uncomfortable to get anywhere in life.  Look at me right now allowing you onto my bed.”

          “Kai, I hardly think that’s the same thing.”

          “Sure it is.  Kyungsoo, step out of your comfort zone.  Please? For me?”

          Kyungsoo wanted to say no, knew that he should, but looking into Kai’s liquid eyes, he was unable to ignore his better judgment.

          “Yeah, okay,” he sighed, turning his head back to the t.v. and waiting for Kai to press play.

          He did exactly that as he said, “Great! Sehun’ll be so happy.”  But Kyungsoo got the feeling that it wasn’t Sehun that Kai was talking about, and that made him feel unreasonably excited, though he knew that it shouldn’t.

          As the movie progressed, Kyungsoo could feel the tension slowly leave Kai’s body.  Soon enough, he was no longer sitting like a military member being reprimanded, but was instead slouched against his headboard, his arm pressed ever-so-slightly into Kyungsoo’s.

          An hour into the movie, Kyungsoo felt a weight drop onto his shoulder unexpectedly.  Looking over, he saw that Kai had once again fallen asleep, and was now resting his head on Kyungsoo, using his thin shoulder as a pillow.

          Kyungsoo couldn’t stop his heart from fluttering around in his chest like a bird trying to escape a cage as he smiled softly and carefully reached over with his other hand, brushing aside Kai’s hair so that he could see his face.

          It was a beautiful sight to behold, and Kyungsoo could feel his resolve slipping quickly.  Trying to distract himself, he dropped his hand and faced back towards the movie, investing himself in the characters and the plot.

          The movie ended in what felt like simultaneously an eternity and a second.  Switching it off with the controller Kai had left on the bed, Kyungsoo carefully extricated himself from Kai, supporting his head as he gently lowered it to his pillow.  When he had Kai all laid out, Kyungsoo grabbed the blanket and pulled it up over Kai’s chest.

          Kyungsoo was struck by how peaceful Kai looked while he was sleeping.  The soft light from the hallway streamed in through the open door and settled on his face, making him look almost as if he were glowing.  Kyungsoo reached out a hand and once again brushed Kai’s bangs out of his face, smiling gently.

          Instead of retracting his hand, Kyungsoo lowered it until his soft palm was cupping Kai’s prominent jaw.  Running his thumb gently across his cheek, Kyungsoo reflected upon how smooth and soft the boy’s skin was.

          Kyungsoo was unwilling to let go, but for fear of being caught, he drew his hand back and turned as if to leave.

          Before he had even made it a step, however, he was startled by the sensation of a warm hand encasing his own.

          “Where do you think you’re going,” Kai’s voice, gruff with sleep and all the more enchanting for it, called out to him.

          “I thought that I should probably go home now,” he responded quietly, scared at having been caught.

          Kyungsoo could hear the blankets shifting as Kai sat upright and swung his legs over the edge of his bed.  “Why don’t you spend the night? It’s pretty late to be walking home, don’t you think?”

          “I think that I should probably go.”

          “Why?”

          “I don’t have anything to wear to bed,” Kyungsoo responded.  He knew it was a dumb excuse, but his brain was functioning too erratically because of Kai’s hand still around his own to come up with a more reasonable one.

          “Well, if that’s all, you can just wear one of my t-shirts,” Kai chuckled as he stood up, finally letting go of Kyungsoo’s hand as he made his way over to his dresser, and Kyungsoo found himself missing the sensation, his hand suddenly cold.

          After digging around for a bit, he walked over to Kyungsoo and handed him a very large t-shirt.  “Sorry, I couldn’t find any clean athletic shorts to give you, you’re just going to have to make do with a shirt.”

          “Thanks,” Kyungsoo mumbled, receiving the shirt from him.

          Kai just remained standing there, staring at him.

          “Um, do you mind leaving so that I can change?” Kyungsoo asked awkwardly.

          “Right, yeah,” Kai chuckled again, this time slightly nervously, “I’ll go set up the couch for you.”

          When Kai left, Kyungsoo quickly changed.  The shirt Kai had given him was big enough that it reached halfway down his pale thighs and kept slipping off of his thin shoulder.

          Sighing, Kyungsoo walked out into the living room to join Kai.

          When he noticed Kyungsoo approach him, Kai stopped what he had been doing to look him up and down.  The action caused Kyungsoo to tug at the bottom of the shirt nervously.  “It’s a little big.”

          “No, it looks great on you,” Kai said, still staring at him intensely, causing Kyungsoo to flush and turn away.

          “I think I want to go to sleep now,” was Kyungsoo’s response as he went over and sat himself down on the couch.

          “Right.  You’re still coming tomorrow, aren’t you?”

          “Sure.”

          “I’m glad,” he said as he turned to leave.  “And Kyungsoo?” he asked, poking his head back around the corner to look at him.

          “Yeah?” He asked, looking right back.

          “Goodnight.”