Chanyeol's decision

If only you knew

Chanyeol’s POV:

 

I sit in the hallway, my fingers brushing over the crumpled photo. Did she mean all of that? I know that I hurt her, but I was going to change all that. I wanted to tell her that I was breaking it off with Rachel. Why wouldn’t she just listen to me? Would it change anything? I’m not even sure if she was mad about Rachel. I know she never liked her much, but I don’t even know if she liked me… she was always like this with me. Did she realise that I’m in love with her? Did I scare her off?

 

I hear hurried footsteps in the distance, and suddenly a pale faced Kris and confused Kyungsoo appears in front of me.

“Is Al home? Did she come home?” Kris asks, his face full of worry.

I shake my head.

“! Kyungsoo, call the cops!” Kris cries, his hands grabbing his hair.

“Don’t” I murmur.

I in my breath as warm tears run down my cheeks.

“She left. She’s not coming back.”

Kris and Kyungsoo stare at me.

“What do you mean?” Kris demands

“Where did she go?!” Kyungsoo screeches, grabbing the front of my shirt.

“She went home. She said we shouldn’t contact her” I reply, handing Kyungsoo the photo.

“Why didn’t you stop her?!” Kyungsoo cries, slamming me against the wall.

I shake my head, crying uncontrollably.

“Do you think I didn’t try?! That I’d just let her go without saying something?”

Kyungsoo glares at me, his face contorted with anger.

“This is your fault. Why did she love you? She would’ve been better off with one of us”

I blink at his words. She loved me? But then… Kyungsoo is right, it is my fault.

 

I slide down against the wall, Kyungsoo hasn’t spoken a word to me, Kris had called Luhan, who was now on his way. He was probably going to beat the crap out of me. But Kris’ reaction took me by surprise the most. He had grown attached to Ally, and now, it looked like even he was angry at me. He tried to hide it, but I could see it. The moment Luhan arrived, I prepared for the worst, but instead he hugged me, and whispered comforting words to me. He rallied the others and told them to start calling and messaging Ally. They were going to get her back no matter what.

 

I sat and watched them silently for hours. They knew that she wasn’t coming back, but that didn’t stop them. It was like they couldn’t stop. I didn’t realise what a vital part Ally had become in the group. I didn’t realise how much I loved her. If only I could tell her why I’m engaged to Rachel… but that wouldn’t change the fact that we can’t date. I stand up and walk out of the apartment, without the others even noticing. If Ally knew who I really am, would she still love me? Could she love someone whose parents sold him, because of debt? Could she love someone who was forced to marry a girl, just so his grandparents could have a meal every night? If I don’t marry Rachel, my grandparents will lose everything, I won’t be able to keep my place. I won’t be able to support myself and my grandparents on my salary alone. Rachel’s parents were the wealthiest people in town, and the fact that my parents skipped town, and left me with all the debt, made me a person of interest to them. But as I grew, Rachel started to notice me, and that’s when the deal changed, instead of working of the debt, I was now supposed to marry Rachel, and in return my grandparents will be able to live happily.

 

It would be selfish of me to break of the engagement. I couldn’t do this to my grandparents. But marrying someone like Rachel, while I could have Ally felt worse. That’s why I find myself standing outside my grandparents’ place. I have to ask them for some help, some clarification on what I’m supposed to do. I hug my grandparents tightly. How do I ask them? I know that they’ll tell me to break it off with Rachel, but what about them? My grandfather can’t work anymore… They gave up everything to raise me, how could I do that to them? I rest my head on my grandmother’s shoulder. Tears starting to brim again. I miss her. I don’t want to lose her.

“Grandma… I can’t marry Rachel” I whisper softly.

My grandmother hugs me tightly, and nods her head.

“We never said you had to”

“But if I don’t… I can’t put my needs before yours” I reply.

I feel guilty for even thinking about breaking the engagement. How was I supposed to do this? Why did the movies always make it seem easier than it was?

“Chanyeol, we can get through this. You don’t have to take care of us, by ruining your life” My grandfather finally speaks up.

My head snaps up, and my gaze meets his. Why was he always supporting my choices, even if he didn’t agree with them? I walk over to my grandfather and hug him.

“I can’t”

 

I walk through the streets back to my apartment. The trip to my grandparents did show me what I should do. I can’t think about my happiness instead of theirs. Who knows how long they have left, I should let them live comfortably.

“I’m sorry Ally” I whisper up at the moon.

I wish I could tell her everything. But even if I did call her, she’d just ignore it. There’s no way I can fix this. I walk up the stairs and find Rachel waiting for me at my apartment door.

“Where have you been?” She demands, tapping her foot in annoyance.

“I visited my grandparents” I murmur.

I push past her and enter my room code. I walk in without saying a word to her and toss my jacket onto the couch.

“So I hear that girl left”

I nod my head. She must be pleased. I mean this is what she wanted after all.

“Aren’t you speaking to me?” She snaps, clearly annoyed at my silence.

I walk past her into my bedroom and close the door. I guess this is what our married life is going to be like… maybe I should take up drinking – just like that my thoughts snap back to Ally, who drunkenly threatened to stab my backpack. A chuckle escapes my lips as warm tears fall down my cheeks. That girl was a complete idiot. She was my idiot. I have to find her. I get up and am about to leave the room when Rachel swings the door open.

“My father wants to see you”

 

I stare at her wide eyed. This can’t be good. I’ve only seen her father twice in my life. The first time was when he informed me that my life belonged to him, and the second time was when he informed me that my heart belonged to his daughter. Those weren’t the best circumstances to meet someone, but I can hardly believe that meeting him can ever be under good circumstances.

 

I walk up the stone driveway. The mansion’s casting a looming shadow over me. I squint up at the medieval mansion. It’s still in perfect condition even though it was built centuries ago. My heart beats unsteadily in my chest. What is he going to say to me? Did Rachel tell him about our fight? I stop in front of the giant wooden door, and clasp the metal lions head, and bang it against the door. A loud creaking sound resonates through the entire mansion. A shiver runs down my spine, as footsteps near me. The door squeaks as it is pulled open by the butler. He motions me in, and I quickly walk into the mansion. My palms become sweaty. My brain unable to think of any excuse I can give him. Stupid. That’s what I am. Stupid for falling for a girl. Stupid for wanting to put my needs in front of my grandparents’.

“Ah, Chanyeol, glad you could make it” A raspy voice murmurs.

I jump in surprise and turn to Rachel’s father.

“Mr Hudson, I didn’t see you there” I reply.

My eyes trying to avoid direct contact with his. But I’m unable to tear my eyes from the frail old man. His hand shaking violently as he carries his weight on his walking stick. His once handsome face now hidden beneath his wrinkles, and droopy skin. Snowy white hair falls onto his forehead, as he shuffles closer to me. His mouth set in a downward position, his eyes fierce, and unkind. Even though this man looks so frail, his spirit is not one to be reckoned with.

“Are you treating my Rachel well?”

My eyebrows knit together. Is he being sarcastic or does he really not know about what happened?

“Speak up boy!” He growls.

“I- I-“

He slaps the side of my face, and I stumble backwards.

“How dare you come to my house after treating my daughter like that? And for what! Some pathetic small town filth?”

Filth? How can he call Ally filth? She is a better person than anyone of these people put together.

“Do you want your grandparents to live like sewerage rats?”

I shake my head.

“Then you better apologize to my little girl”

I look at my hands, should I? Isn’t there something else I could do? Even if I continue this, my grandparent’s will still have to live with the fact that they’re getting money from a monster like him.

“Are you deaf or are you just an idiot, boy?!” He screeches.

He grabs my ear and rips me down to his eye level. His face becoming dangerously red, his body shaking violently.

“F-forgive-“

Suddenly his hand slams into the side of my face again.

“How dare a piece of trash speak to me like that?”

I fall down on my knees. My face throbbing from his hits. How am I supposed to bow to him? How can I possibly toss my pride aside and bow to this monster?

“Pack your bags. I’m taking you with me. There you shall be taught how to be upper-class”

I stare after him. Upper-class? Is he insane? How can he be considered to be “better” when he acts like this? Why should I be taught anything? I’m a decent (more decent than he will ever be) human being. How can they teach me anything else? Are they going to teach me to treat people like trash, to look down on people less fortunate than I?

 

How do I choose between my head and heart? My head tells me to stay, to marry Rachel. But my heart, it urges me to go after Ally. I wish I could talk to someone about this, but Luhan, Kris and Kyungsoo are still busy trying to retrieve Ally. Can’t there be an easier way for me to decide? I look at the moon once again. Hoping some answer will rain down on me. If only everything could be fixed magically… magic… the garden in the forest. If I could get a flower, I could go to Ally. That will be my sign. I run toward the forest. I don’t care if it takes forever, I will find that flower. I stumble through the trees, my only light is the dim moon. I don’t have time to go back to my place, I need to do this now. I keep on running. I don’t even know where I am going anymore. I just know that I have to keep on going. I have to keep on trying to find a reason to go to Ally. A plausible reason. A reason that will comfort me for putting my needs before those of everyone else. An aromatic scent encloses my gustatory senses, and I immediately head toward it. This has to be the garden.

 

 I stumble forward and look around me, but there are no flowers, the scent is emanating from the trees. I feel my heart sink… is this a sign? Should I give up on the dream of being with Ally? I walk out of the forest and sit down against one of the trees. My mind is all jumbled and I can’t make sense of anything. Why can’t my head and heart agree? Why does everything have to be so complicated?

 

I slink into my apartment and look over at the crumpled photo. There’s no going back now. I grab my bags and toss my clothes in it. I scribble a note to tell the guys where I’m going and run out of my apartment. Please let this work, I pray over and over as I climb into Mr. Hudson’s car.

“Ah, I’m glad you decided to come with me”

I nod my head, I’d rather not say anything, or else he might just threaten to kill me.

The car speeds toward the airport and I pull my phone out. There’s one last message I have to send before I go. I select Ally’s number and send the text. I wonder if she’ll trust me?

 

The entire flight to the city goes by in a blur. Mr. Hudson kept on prepping me on business, and how to act around the important clients. I look over at the other people on the flight. How could anyone want this lifestyle? Sure you have all the luxury, but they all look so drained and unhappy… How can you do something that’s slowly killing you? My mind wanders back to my grandparents. Their faces looked just like that, when I told them I was marrying Rachel. Was I killing them by going through with the wedding?

 

I walk through the airport, my eyes darting through the crowds of people. My heart starts beating unsteadily. Will she be here? The moment Mr. Hudson turns to one of his acquaintances, I make my escape. I slide through the gates and run for the parking lot, where is she? I notice a girl with chocolate brown hair walking toward a car. Ally? I sprint toward the car, a huge smile on my lips. I missed her so much. I get ready to slam my arms around her when she turns around and I stop dead in my tracks. This girl wasn’t Ally. Where is Ally? Didn’t she get my message? She would’ve come right? I mean she hates me, but she’d still come here, she wouldn’t just stay away… she wouldn’t…

 

I turn around and that’s when I see her. She stood a few feet from me, talking to an older man. It looked like they were having an argument. He was ripping at her arm, and with every rip, he started to awaken my primal instincts. The need to slam my fist into his face became bigger, and my urge to protect her was overwhelming. I take a step toward them. I am going to kill this guy.

“You will do as you’re told” He snarls at her.

“How are you going to explain another daughter’s suicide?” Ally cries

I feel myself slowing down. I shouldn’t intervene. I mean I should punch the hell out of this guy, but I know that it will hurt Ally even more if I saw her like this. She’d want me to think that she’s fine without me, she wouldn’t want me to see her like this. To say the truth, she was a complete mess. She looked like she hadn’t slept for days, she was probably still suffering from a hangover, and the clothes she wore were old and crumpled. She is a complete mess. I wish I could hug her and tell her everything is going to be alright.

 

“WHY ARE YOU RUNNING OFF?!” Mr. Hudson screeches.

I jump behind a car, before Ally can see me. I can’t let her know I’m here yet. I have to make things right.

“My apologies sir, I wanted to make sure that everything was in order with our car” I lie.

For some reason he actually buys my lie, and jumps into the car, I slide in next to him, making sure that I’ll go unnoticed.

“Go to the tailors first” Mr Hudson orders the driver.

I look at him questioningly, why were we going to the tailors? His suits were perfectly fine.

“We have to get you a tuxedo for tonight’s masked ball”  

I stare at him. Masked ball? I can’t dance… what am I supposed to do there? I can’t talk to anyone about business, and I don’t think they’d care much about what I have to say anyway…

“I do hear that the Hemming’s throw the most extravagant parties” The driver notes.

Hemmings? Meaning Ally will be one of the host’s? I might be able to approach her, she won’t be able to recognize me if I wear a mask.

 

Patiently I wait for Mr Hudson to fit his suit, I look around the room. What will Ally say when she sees me? Will she be happy or could this completely backfire? I want her to know how much I miss her, how much I wish I could change the past… I scroll through the photos on my phone. I end up at the last photo we took together, we were standing on the bridge, we looked so happy, her smile radiating through the photo. There’s an uneasy feeling in my heart, I have to see her again. I look at the fitting rooms, I don’t care what Mr Hudson does anymore. I will be with Ally.