Karaoke Time!

Our Scenario

Dinnea 's POV: Saturday was here, which meant today was the day I was finally going to be able to experience what karaoke was like in Japan. I'd been looking forward to this since I'd made plans with Naki and Kiyo at school. "School…" I sighed from the thought. Things had been really tense lately, since Takashi came into class all beaten and bruised that morning in class. After that everyone just acted like it was none of their business, and continued on like nothing happened. I know I should feel the same way too, but this small feeling of worry refused to go away. That’s why I was so excited for this weekend, it would be a nice transition from all the drama that's been happening.

            Walking over to my dresser, I busied myself while trying to find an outfit for today's excursion. As I looked though all my clothes it was becoming increasing hard to find something to wear. I thought my clothes were the bomb when I was in the states packing to come to Japan, but now that I was finally here I felt like my style was much to basic compared to everyone else's. I needed to go shopping, but the funds that I had wouldn't get me close to affording anything real nice. "I need a job.." I thought as I continued to rummage through my drawers.

            Finally deciding on my loose scoop neck baby blue tee, I put on some dark skinny jeans completing it with my white converses. I know it didn’t sound like much, but I liked being comfortable. Plus it started to come together more, once I curled my hair. Satisfied with the results I grabbed my cell phone off the charger. Finding Naki's number I sent him a quick text, "Are you ready to hear me at karaoke?" A minute after my phone vibrated. "Haha. You can't be that bad.." He texted. "No it's bad, but hey at least you know how to sing. You can make up for my yelling. xD" I replied. "Tch, whatever. Hey Kiyo's about to head over, he just have to stop by my house real fast." "Ok. Just text me when you're here." After I sent the last text I walked into the  living room to wait.

            On my way out I noticed my school uniform hanging up to dry from washing it the night before. Looking at my blazer it reminded me of the library… I still remember the kind gesture that Takashi did for me. To be honest I should've been a little creeped out that he was there without my knowing, but I thought it was sweet. Wondering how I was going to give him back his blazer, I happened to see his brother Kiyo walking to his next class. I caught up with him before he could enter. "Excuse me, Kiyo?" He stopped and turned, looking at me curiously. "Umm…I noticed this in this in the library, and I saw that it belongs to your brother. I would return it myself, but I don't have any other classes with him." I said, while  leaving out the part about waking up with Takashi's blazer on me. He gladly took it from me, throwing it over his shoulder. "Thanks Dinnea. I'm sure he's wondering where it is right now…" He said. There was this look in his, as if he was analyzing something to himself. Patting my shoulder gently he walked into class.

            Suddenly my phone started to vibrate snapping me out of the memory. Looking down at my phone I saw that it was from Naki. "I'm pulling up right now." I quickly texted back, "You're not supposed to text and drive young man…"  Not a second later he replied, "First of all I'm not driving. Secondly don’t be jealous because I have a personal chauffeur as a best friend >.<" I laughed as I gathered my things to head towards the door. "Dinnea…" I heard a voice say softly behind as I was opening the door. Looking over my shoulder I saw Diona dressed cutely while clutching the strap of her purse by her side. "Hey… You going somewhere?" I asked smirking slightly. "Um..are you guys still going to do karaoke today?" She asked shyly. "…Yeah that’s the plan. Naki and Kiyo are out front, so I was on my way out just now." I said hesitating by the door. "D-do you think that there's room for one more? I don't want to ruin your plans or anything…" She said. I held in my smile while opening the door. "Diona there's always room for you…come on." I said softly. She smiled with relief while following me out the door.

            "What took you so lo_" Naki stops mid sentence after seeing Diona behind me. "Oh never mind, worth the wait I guess right Kiyo?" Naki said elbowing him in the side. Kiyo looked a little shocked to see Diona coming, but he quickly went back to being neutral. "H-hey guys sorry about joining last minute. I hope you don’t mind…" Diona inquired. "Oh no, It’s not a problem, it'll be nice to have an extra person come with…." Naki murmured something else it was too low to hear. Whatever it was agitated Kiyo. "Come. Get in." Kiyo said in shabby English. Looking over at Diona I shrugged my shoulders as we started to get in the car.

            As soon as the car pulled off there was this awkward tension in the air, and I knew exactly who it was coming from. Kiyo and Diona. Acting like nothing was going on Naki turned to look into the backseat. "So Diona, are you any good at singing?" He asked curiously. She looked over his shoulder before answering. "Um…somewhat. I was a part of a choir when I was younger, but it probably won't as good as you Mr. Rockstar." She said humorously. "Tch, well at least you can't be as bad as Kiyo. Don't get wrong the guy can dance, but when it comes to singing…well that’s another story_" "Oi, I can sing!" Kiyo interrupted, but we all started to laugh. The tension seemed to loosen up a bit after that. Thank god for Naki or this trip would have been VERY long.

            We drove for about ten minutes, when Kiyo suddenly pulled off the main road pulling up to one of those cool Japanese parking garages that put your cars on these conveyers, as they place them in convenient spots down below. As we stepped out of the car Kiyo showed the gentleman that was working the conveyer this shiny card. The man's eyes became big as he deeply bowed while proceeding to load his car. "What's that all about?" Diona asked curiously. Naki looked over his shoulder before answering. "Oh that? That's just reaping the benefits from his father…" Naki said humorously. "Huh?" Diona and I said at the same time. "Don't worry about it, let's go have some fun." He said ushering us forward, dismissing the moment.

            Once Kiyo caught up we started to walk on down the streets of Tokyo. Everything and everyone was moving fast paced, trying to get towards their next destination. Something about this city felt so alive, compared to the small city that Diona and I originally came from. It would probably take years to fully take in everything around me. "Good. I don't wanna miss a thing…" I thought as we turned the corner to walk down an alley filled with small shops, cafes, and entertainment establishments. Kiyo suddenly pointed at a place called Music Box. The sign was big enough for anyone to see, but the outside didn't compare for what the inside had to offer. Stepping inside the shine from nicely tiled floor were complimented by the freshly painted walls surrounding everything. To my left there was a fancy marble desk with an associate waiting patiently behind it. "I'll be right back." Naki says as he walks over to speak with the employee.

            "So what was with the special treatment earlier?" Diona suddenly asks Kiyo. Looking over at him he seemed a little surprised to have Diona actually talking to him. Reaching inside his pocket he pulled out a silver card. "My father owns some of the parking garages in Tokyo, so this card allows me to park there for free anytime I want?" He said coolly. "Really?! Wow, I hope this isn't direct or anything, but what exactly does your father do for a living Kiyo?" I asked. Seeming a little uncomfortable to answer at first, he finally said, "He's…a businessman." Somehow his answer didn't feel fully complete, like he was purposely leaving something out. Before we could dwell on it Naki came back over. "Hey I got us a room guys, does two hours sound like enough time?" He asked us. "Two hours sounds like plenty of time, but I don't know if I can listen these girls shrieking the whole entire time…" Diona and I both looked at Kiyo slightly offended. "Excuse you, I have you know that Dinnea and I are the best duo you're ever going to see. So you should feel honored that you're going to hear us sing at all." Diona said a bit sassy like. Holding in my laughter all I could do was give her a high five because my girl was on point today! "Oh really? Well then ladies we'll let the scores do the talking." Naki said amused.

            "Excuse me, but if you all could please follow me…" From behind us a cute petite women stood by the door leading towards a long hallway. We all started to follow her as she showed us to our room. She led us down about three rooms, then she opened the door on her right. When we entered the room Diona and I were even more amazed. This was our first time going to any karaoke place ever, but we never expected it to look like this! There two long brown couches on both sides of the room, with a long table in the middle of it that had menus and a large song book laying on top. Towards the front the was a flat screen TV in the middle of the wall surrounded by speakers. Sitting on the ground the left there was the control system where several machines awaited us to pick our first song.

            "Wow this place is amazing!" I said excited. "I know right! It's not like I was picturing it at all." Diona said just as amazed. "Hold on a second…you girls seriously haven't been to a karaoke bar before?!" Kiyo asked shocked. "What do you guys even do in the states?" Naki asked. "Nothing like this…" I answered. "So where do we even start?" Diona asked. "I'm glad you asked…" With that Naki suddenly hopped on the couch beside him. He picked up a controller with a screen on it. "You see this? This allows you to pick the songs you want from the song book, with just a click of a button. The mics are over there on the wall, with other things such as tambourines and silly accessories." Naki explained. Hmm so there was more to this then I thought…

            "So who wants to go first?" Kiyo asked. Looking over at Diona we seemed to have the same thought. "You boys should go first…just to show us how it's done and all." I answered. "I don’t know, it might not be fair…" Naki said with this cocky look on his face. "You know what, I'm glad you said that because I was thinking the same thing…" I said. "In order to make this fair, how about Diona and I pick your songs for you instead…" I inquired. Kiyo slapped Naki's arm. "Ow…" Naki whined. "You just had to say something didn't you." Kiyo said reprimanding him.  Diona and I both laughed as we started to look through the massive book filled with songs. There was so many songs to choose one, it would be almost impossible to find one specific song. "Sorry girl I can't be much of help, my katakana is still a little off…" Diona said sadly. "Don't worry I got this." I said giving her an encouraging pat on the shoulder. "Come on we don't have all day…" Naki said impatiently. "Hold your horses, I'm looking." I said. "Hmm? Hold my horses?" Naki said confused. "Yea it's an American analogy that means to hold on for a second." Diona explained. Naki and Kiyo both nodded in unison. "American sayings are so weird…" I heard Kiyo say to Naki. They started to laugh to themselves, while Diona and I shook our heads. Flipping a couple of more pages I finally found the song I was looking for. Looking up at the two of them I gave them a mischievous grin. "I don't think I like this Naki…" Kiyo said. "Don't worry I got this." Naki said reassuringly.

            "What song did you pick Dinnea?" Diona asked me. I scooted leaning over the table to grab the remote from Naki's hand. "The song that I picked is…" I said while I was punching in the code. " Kyary Pamyu Pamyu's - Pon Pon Pon…" Looking over at the boys I could see the color drain form both of their faces. "You just HAD to say something didn't you Naki." Kiyo said glaring at him. "*Ahem*…Pick another song." Naki said bluntly. "No, we picked the song so you guys gotta sing it." Diona said while putting her hands on her hips. "Well at least I don't  have to really sing it, I'm leaving that up to you dude." Kiyo said laughing slightly. "Uh uh uh. Don't think because you can't sing that you're getting out of this Kiyo… So instead you'll be doing the dance moves." Diona said. "What?!" Kiyo exclaimed. "Hahaha. You shouldn't have said anything remember?" Naki said while throwing Kiyo's words back at him. "Sigh…fine let's just get this over with." Kiyo said walking towards the front. He looked in the basket full of accessories and pulled our these white Mickey Mouse gloves. Diona and I both started dying laughing. "Aww you look so adorable." Diona said. Hopping up Naki proceeded to grab one of the mics off the back wall. "Ok…hit it!" He said. I pressed the play button and the song start.

            Right off the bat Naki popped his hip out to the side, as he started to sing in a high soprano voice. "Ano kousaten de minna ga moshi sukippu wo e…" The lyrics popped up on the screen behind him as he continued to sing. Kiyo started moving his shoulders up and down while popping in and out from behind Naki to the beat of the song. This was literally the funniest thing I think I have ever seen in my whole entire life. Diona was almost in tears when the chorus came up. Kiyo came out in front and started doing the signature Pon Pon Pon dance. It was kinda like the Macarena, but more upbeat. He really looked silly while he was dancing around in those ridiculous gloves, but you got to hand it to the guy he knew how to move. Naki came back out and started to sing the next line with that ridiculous high voice of his. I didn't think it could get any worse, but when Naki started to do the dance along with Naki I was done! As the end of the song was coming up Diona stood up and started to clap along with the song. We tried to sing it with them, but I'm pretty sure we butchered it.

            When the song was over Naki and Kiyo pretended to fall out on the ground. Diona and I clapped congratulating them, I'm sure it couldn't have been easy for them or their man cards… "Woo hoo! Good job guys that was great!" I said cheering for them. "Yeah that was awesome, I don't think I ever laughed so hard!" Diona said with the brightest smile. "Good as long as you enjoyed it…then I'm happy." Kiyo said to her. Diona suddenly stopped clapping while looking down slightly. Was she blushing?! Out of nowhere the score appeared behind them on the TV screen. "Score: 90%" "What a 90?!" Naki said shocked. We laughed. "It probably couldn't register that super high pitch you had?" I said laughing even more. "You guys are hilarious… Let's see how you girls do on your song." Naki said. "I'm not really familiar with a lot of Japanese songs…" Diona said. "They have English songs in there too." Kiyo said walking over to sit next to Diona while flipping through the book. She looked slightly uncomfortable, but didn’t say anything. "Oh my God girl look!" Diona said happily. I looked at the song she was pointing to, and all I could say was that it was over… "Yes! Let's do this." I said hopping up from the couch with her. Diona picked up a tambourine from the basket, and I picked out some ridiculous sunglasses with sequence on them.

            "What song did you girls pick?" Naki asked curiously. "Hit it!" Was all I said, then Kiyo pressed play. Suddenly Beyonce's - Crazy in Love started to play in the background. "We're about to take you boys back, and give you a little taste of American talent." I said introducing us as the beginning of the song continued to play. Then Diona and I started to shake and do the "Uh oh uh oh uh oh no no" dance. I was trying to keep a straight face, but Kiyo and Naki were totally engrossed with our performance. Diona started to sing the first lines of the song, trying to sing like Beyonce herself. She did a damn good job, as she start strutting around the room all sassy like. I was more like the backup singer for now, while I patiently waited for my part to come up. Now I could sing a little, but something I liked to on more than singing was rapping. When Jay-Z's part came on, I went ham. Knowing every word without having to looking at the screen behind me. I bent down on one knee as I continued to rap, as Diona walked around me shaking her tambourine. I hopped back up for the bridge part and started to sing along with Diona. We were rocking out when all of a sudden Kiyo and Naki jumped in trying to sing along with us. I had a hard time keeping it together I continued to sing. Kiyo started doing some Justin Timberlake moves around Diona, she was just as distracted. As the song went on we were all jumping around enjoying ourselves, until I felt a cold chill run down my back. This caused me to stop jumping for a second, but thankfully the song was already over with. Looking around myself I suddenly felt exposed. The same way I felt when I was at the mall…

            "Whew! Oh my gosh that was so much fun!" Diona said breathing hard. "Yeah I had no idea that you girls could sing and rap like that." Naki said amazed. "Not to mention those dance moves! You girls have been holding out on us." He said laughing. From behind us a crowd started cheering from the TV while it gave us our score. "Score: 98" Diona and I squealed with joy as we celebrated our victory. "Somehow I feel duped…" Naki said. Looking over at us suspiciously. "Hey we won fair and square guys, don't hate just because your karaoke game wasn't on point today." I said. "You girls sure do have a funny way of speaking…" Kiyo said. "Ehh you'll get used to it." Diona said while laying down her mic. "I'll be right back guys, I have to run to the restroom real quick." Diona said suddenly. When she left the room Kiyo stared after her. It looked like he was thinking about something, until he said, "You know it's a little hot in here, I think I'm going to get some fresh air." He said. Before we could say anything he was already out the door.  

***Uh oh…Dinnea's having cold chills again, what could that mean? Also do you think Kiyo really needed some fresh air, or could this be the talk that we've all been all been waiting for?! Stay tuned for more exciting updates! :D***