Chapter 9 "I've Fallen Under A Spell"

I'm an Heir

I must be dumb. Yes, I'm definetly not that smart since I can only think in how to turn on Young Do's humanity, how to make him fall in love with life again. But right now my mind is in Shangai. A sudden complication in a trade has left in a tough position the transportation of petroleum from the Middle East to Asia. We needed them to make it happened, so I was there; and if things were to be even more difficult, we'll call dad over. But that's not even an option. I don't want him traveling somewhere were he can be highly vulnerable.

"What are they saying?" I asked in the conference room to my interpreter.

"They are worried about the possile increase of the dollar's value. Since the taxes for their entrance and exit of oth countries may exagerate"

"Oh, wel. What can I say about that.. Mmmm... maybe... Kevin?" He was my advisor for bussines deals in Asia.

"Yes?"

"Is it to bad or dangerous to offer them a percentage of what we will make as a ackup payment in case the dollar rises minimun 25% of its actual value?"

"How much are we willing to yield?"

"In this situation, what is your suggestion?"

"To assure them in the trade, 5% off the rotten material"

"I highly agree. Can you please comunicate that to them?" I addreses the interpretor. He took a couple of extra minutes to explain them our offer and intentions. I'm pretty sure he tried his best into convincing them that this was an irresistible opportunity, from the couple of words I understood.

They smiled, I could finally breath.

"They say is good enough"

"Amazing. Can I go back now? Sorry Kevin for leaving you with the rest of this mess, but I have a history test tomorrow that I cannot miss"

"How can you do it? To manage and be reliable for the two of your responsailities? I still don't understand, it looks hard. You are mature and smart enough to had taken the oard exam and finish school long time ago. You could even be a college student now!"

"Eventhough I don't have one, I wanto to experience the more normal life a teen can have. I might be well educated in bussines, but I still have plenty other things to learn as any other girl my age"

"Like dating?"

I laughed quite hard "Not quite yet"

On my way back to Korea, I talked to Dad, It has been weeks since we last spoke comfrotaly and long lasting like this.

"And how are you doing in school?"

"Nothing special"

"Oh well, what happened in this one?"

"Usual bullying. I haven't nor I will tell them about who I am"

"Why do you keep doing this? I don't like my only daugther to be hurth this way. I don¡t like it darling, plus, your presentation was schedule for this year"

"Please not yet. I'll tell you"

A couple of minutes past in silence.

"Are you ok Steph?"

"Remeber what Mom used to say? :"Everyday is..."

"A second chance"

"That's right Paps, I'm strong"

"Yes you are. And I'm very fortunate to have you as my daugther. But please don't pushed yourself too hard with stress and pressure"

"I won't"

"Remeber this time: A wish doesn't change anything, but a decision changes everything"

I traesure everytime he gives me those quotes while saying "Remember this". I always do, I write them down so I can never forget them, like the ones mom used to say everytime, to make me grow wiser like she said. So I knew what I had to do. The decision that I had to make. The cost behind it. So I made a couple of calls.

"Luther? Did you made it? Could you do what I asked for?"

"I'm afraid yes"

"I'm afraid? Are you worried?"

"I am"

"What for? I can handle it"

"I'm afraid you will not. But don't worry, If thats what you wish for"

"Please trust me just this once. I urge to do this"

"Everything has been set up. You'll start working tomorrow"

"Thank you very much Luther. You know you're like my long lost big brother?"

"I know it. That's why I'm still here"

My plan sudden became a bit more exciting, so I begun preparing myself for it. I was sure of it starting in a couple of days.

So the day arrived. I was standing in front of the Zeus Hotel ready to take the challenge. I walked towards the reception desk. They explained me where was it that I needed to go, the kitchen. I'll be trainned as an kitchen assistant, in other words, dish washer. You always need to start at the bottom in order to appreciate when you arrive at the top.

I realized that if I wanted to understand Young Do, I needed to experience his sourrandings, this was the best idea I could get in the middle of my jetlag.

"Since You are in high school, please com quickly after you finish your activities. You'll work 3 time a week."

"Yes Sir"

"Since you start today, go and change in the girls employee. I'll wait for you"

"Yes Sir. Thank you Sir"

Another employee took me to the changing and I did. Eventhough I was in an undercover job, I still wanted to do a really good job.

"I'm ready..." Hell no! What is he doing here? As I walked towards the sinks, there he was, Young Do... So I was doomed. What is he ...

"doing here?"

"What did you say?" asked me one of the cooks.

"I'm sorry, but what is The son of the owner doing here at the kitchen"

"Ah, him? He used to come to wash the dishes on school breaks,apparently is mandatory from his father... but he does it regurarly nowdays... how strange..."

"Are you knew here?" said the other cook.

"Yes, I'm the new dishwasher. I'll work hard, please take care of me!"

"You have to work with him, well, I do wish you the best of luck"

I was extremly nervous, wasn't expecting to see him here today. What do I do now?

"Shin So Ra?"

"Yes Sir. I'm ready" we crossed eyes. He looked at me more angry that sourprise.

"She is the new employee I told you about yesterday. Do you have a problem with it?"

He clench his teeth while answering "No Sir, I don't"

While the manager left, I catch him just in time.

"Excuse me Sir"

"Yes?"

"You wouldn't tell anyone who I am, wouldn't you?"

"Off Course no Miss. Mister Luther told me so according to your security protocols"

"Did he?" that man knows me better than me, always a step ahead "Thank You very much"

When I went back he was waiting me, with hundreds of words stuck in his mouth.

"What are you doing here?"

I faced the sink and put on the gloves.

"I'm working, can't you see?" I said shakly while washing the first dishes in the pile next to me "You should do the same"

With his eyes about to pop from anger, he silently started helping me. We both knew that this wasn't the place to bring our outside problems, so we worked in silence. I looked at him from time to time to see a version of him no one can se at school. Now, he was somehow calm, concentrated and ignoring me, thankfully ignoring me.

I was shock with myself to have catch me contemplating his charm. Just like this he look handsome enough to be passed as a good guy.

Me, I was under a spell... the spell of broken dreams with new wings.

 

 

 

 

 

(I wanted to change the letter's color according to the language the characters are speaking at the moment for a better understanding of what is going on. So here are: English, KoreanSpanishJapaneseFrench,. Also I wanted to complement the story with some pictures... hope you guys like them!)