Chapter 15 "The Power of Kimchi"

I'm an Heir

I perfectly knew that my type of behaviour was against everything anyone did for Young Do, I wanted to prove him there was still good in this world.

After the scary meeting, I made some calls to arrange the volunteer work of Young Do, Luther told me he just needed to sign the card everyweek before presenting it to the disciplinary office at school every week. "That'll be easy".

I got prepared for tomorrow's Kimchi Day in the orphanage, plus, I had some gifts for Baby Kyung Soon, the baby girl left in the box. I was growing attached to her. 

So I went to the orphanage the next day, in order to find an unexpected surprise.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For some reason I felt unease. I didn't want to owe her anything, so I should put myself together and go. I managed to avoid the media. They were particulary engaged into harrasing me lately, and there was no sign of it being over anytime soon.

I'm tired of them.

I'm tired of my life.

I'm tired.

Since I needed to keep my mind busy in order to prevent me from doing something stupid, I decided to help Soo Ra in the orphanage. Maybe a change of air will help me stay sane. I'm too young to carry his type of responsabilities. A company future on my shoulders? I don't trust I'm the heir for it. I can't see myself managing this situation until my father gets out from jail.

The proofs against him were strong, but both of us knew he was set up into the situation. Father specifically asked me to behave, I can do eveything but that. He told me to be patient, I can't. I don't want to. Badly need my old life back. Eun Sang gave me a sense of security. Now that I don't have her, I'm not sure were to go. She eas my "down to earth" mechanism.

But she's not here.

Forgey her.

Forget her.

As I arrived to the orphanage, I heard a scandolous but refreshing voice. It was Soo Ra screaming out for instructions in were to put the salted cabages she was downloading from a truck.

Our eyes met suddenly. I didn't felt the need to look away, neither did she, on the contrary, she approached me rapidly.

-What... what are you doing here?- she mummbled.

-I'm here for voluntary work, you set everything up-

-You don't have to be here. Is not your fault those things were writren on the wall-

-Who cares now? It wouldn't be voluntary work if you do everything for me. I don't want to owe you-

-You don't- I felt comfortable in her words, she was insisting in my well being, it made me wonder -you may have dozens of other things to do in your company-

- Is non of your concerned- I needed to keep my posture, rude and selfish, is who thw world thinks I am and I decided to play along the lie long timw ago.

-You're right, it isn't. But by the way you look, you need some rest. Why don't you go to a sauna or a spa you can relax-

-What is wrong with you? Didn't your mother taught you to stay out from other people's bussines?- she didn't replied inmedietly. Her silence ment everything I didn't knew about her. I probably touched a sensible subjecy. Her eyes watered a little bit, I swallowed my words.

- She left me way before she could teached me anything - she dried away her tears - But what I remember about her is helping those who scream for help in silence- then, she turn away towards the orphanage. In a split of a second, I witness how she lost a piece of brightness in her eyes. And I was at fault.

She silently started to work inside, a little yard inside the orphanage was organized for kimchi making process. I've never done it in the traditional way, but I did it a couple times with my mother back when I was a kid. An old woman approached me:

-What are you doing? Move yourself and help!- I quickly looked at my clothes, she saw that. -Ommo, you can't work comfortably with those clothes, here, follow me- so I did, she dragged me to a small room and gave a spare of old like clothing for man. -Now look at you! You look just like my husband when he was young- I was speechless.

When I came out from there, Soo Ra started laughing frenetically, oh her smile.

-Poor You, they actually suit you very well!- she kept on laughing.

-Yay!- I screamed, then I start laughing too, it was quite the scene -Stop laughing and tell me what do I need to do-

-This is your last time to back out- she replied.

-What? Back out? I was excited when Soo Ra told me a friend of her was coming to help-

I looked at Soo Ra.

-"friends?"- I mumbled to her.

-Stop it- she mumbled back.

-Hey you two! What are you doing? Start working, we have much to do!-

In the improvised backyard, other Ajhummas were making kimchi as well, they kept looking at both of us with mischievious smiles. It tired me up faster than expected.

 

She was concentrated in her work, making kimchi really suited Soo Ra. It made me wonder who she really was, I should know before taking any further steps. She looked calm and serene, like wanting for nobody to explode her bubble of concentration.

-Yay! - I screamed at her, she jump from the surprise.

-What is wrong with you?- she yelled back -What is it?-

-Where the hell did you brought me?-

-It was either this or expultion, which one do you prefer?-

-At least expeled I wouldn't work as hard-

-Hey!- she said while punching me in the shoulder. She realized her action and withdraw by putting her hand aside. -Sorry- she went back to work.

I kept close attention to her, althought she seemed to ignore it. It was pleasent, to finally find comfort again.

At the end of the day, I was exausted, although, satisfied by the interruption of my borind daily routines wich included nothing interesting.

-You can leave now- she said -But before...- she interrupt my exit -please change, going outside like this will only degrade your image- we both laughed a little.

When I went outside after changing, she was already cleaned up and waiting for me by the door. I left the building, but before I got inside the car I turned back and said:

-Thank You- she was schoked by my words, honestly, I was too.

-How did those words tasted while coming out of your mouth?- she playfuly said.

-Bitter- I replied. I opened the door of the car.

-One last thing- she added -Don't worry about others at school, I'll keep your secret-

There she was again, trying to take care of me.

I smiled all the way back home, at the end, she was the one that made me smiled.

I supposed it was the power of Kimchi.

 

 

 

 

Hope you all liked the chapter! Please don't forget to post your comments and subscribe!

(I wanted to change the letter's color according to the language the characters are speaking at the moment for a better understanding of what is going on. So here are: English, KoreanSpanishJapaneseFrench,. Also I wanted to complement the story with some pictures... hope you guys like them!)