Chapter 24: A wave

I'm an Heir

It was definetly destiny who had a thing over me. Every turn I took and every classroom I went, he was there with those judging eyes. I couldn't resist the guilt, I owned him an explanation but my concience wasn't ready to give love a try. And yes, I do love him, but for both our safeties we needed to be apart for the time being.

It was PE class, and I thought some rough training will give my body the energy to recharge for the coming events, so I requested my class to be transfered from tennis to Karate. I knew taekwondo was Young Do's specialty, so I avoided it first. THankfully the Teachers were comprehensible enough to test my level before the class started, so I could be classified in the training.

-Have you ever trained before?- they asked.

-No, Sir, at least not properly. I learned self defense and such, but never a proper training- I lied, but for the sake of my identity.

-Then how come you move like that?-

-LIke what Sir?-

-You can easily be a green belt-

-Green belt with black stripe I'll dare to say- added another Instructor.

-Thank you for thinking so highly of me, but I'm just a begginer, I still have much to learn-

They took a couple of seconds to talk between them and decide what to do with me next.

-Student, we couldn't reach an unanimous settlement, so a suggestion was made-

-Yes, Sir, what suggestion is it?-

-To test you in class. You will follow the class and towards the end we will hold sparrings, that will be your level placement test-

-We usually do not do this, but it seems such a waste to place you in the begginer level-

-Thank you, I'll follow your instructions-

SInce I was there earlier than the rest of the class, I waited. I was using a plain Gi, since all the instructors were from different styles, it was better suiting to not have any insignias on. Although this school is for the "rich", the student's entrance to the classroom was more ceremonial that I'd expected, they were respectful as if no income was taken into consideration in those four walls... and I was right.

 

Betwee those students was Young Do, how was it possible? Doesn't he take Taekwondo around this time? What is he doing here? He was starting to get on my nerves during the class since he wouldn't take his eyes off from me. Having him around, like this, was very painful. I wanted to hug him and ask him for forgiveness, but I had to restrain myself every time our eyes met.

Towards the end of the class, the Instructors explained my situation and why a sparring was included in that day's training (since it was schedule for another day). Everyone geared up except me, the instructors looked at me strangely.

-Where is your protection?- they asked irritated.

-I'm not used to it and thought that my performance will go poorly if I feel uncomfortable-

-Are you showing off student?-

-Not at all, Sir. On the contrary, I wish to learn my limits, and If I'll fall for my stupidity-

-I guess that in your self defence training you never learned with protection-

-You are correct Sir-

-Listen up!- said one of the instructors - On my left, color from green up, on my right, light green down-

We all organized accordingly, me being the last of the lower level since I was wearing a plain white gi.

-The highest belt will go against the lowest graded belt- 

I did panicked, first for the blackness on his belt, secondly, for the defiance in his eyes.

We were supposed to spar 3 minutes straight. The classmates, will spot the sidelines in order to no crash the mirror or hit ourselves against the wall.

Of course we went first, since the lowest belt, me,will fight against the highest one. We greeted accordingly.

-I win, you tell me the truth- said Young Do out of the blue.

-You will not-

-I am black belt, what can I expect? A fighting panda?-

-No, a resiliant snail-

What I did was avoiding him however I could, unfortunetly after a few seconds, the teachers will insist on action, specially from my part. I had nothing to prove or no way I could, since all I did in my training so far was to... defend myself. Is that what I'm doing? Am I running away from him so I don't get hurt? Could I step foward instead of always steping back? 

My mistake was to distract myself with thoughts instead of doing something. He quickly threw me down, which counted points in his favor. I needed to at least score a few points so my pride wouldn't get hurt as much. I noticed his foot work and how uncomfortable he will perform in ground fight when I saw him practice before. Being analytic in order to wait for the perfect moment was crutial. And it came, after a small distraction towards the instructor, I swiped him down with my leg in a semicircle done from a squat, in his shock I performed the only ground technique from a Ju jitsu master, who made me repeated it at least a thousand times. I held him for at least five seconds.... or more?

His manner, his kindness, his smell, his jokes, they were all held in my heart. How could I let go?

At the end he won, I was lightly praised for my counter attack, But I stormed out as soon as I could. He found me and cornered me near the place were someone wrote a graffiti in spanish against Zeus Hotels.

-The truth, tell me the truth- he insisted.

-What truth?-

-Why do you hate me?-

-I don't, you know that-

-Then why do you keep pushing me away?-

-My life is complicated enough, I don't want you to be part of a mess-

-Mine is not a beauty either, if you haven't noticed-

-I know-

-You asked me to wait, and I will. But please - he said while placing my hand over his heart - Don't break it in the mean time-

I froze, I had forgoten for a second the wave of emotions he starts in me.

Soon.... Soon he will know the truth.