Waiting for Superman

Spilled Ink

Take a breath. 
Your nose filled with the stench around you. 
Your knees were scraped, your clothes were dirty. 
Your face, was stained with tears. 
You took another breath, and yet another fresh wave of emotions clogged up your senses, you thought the stench would be unbearable, but your blocked nose was surprisingly playing a good role in making everything bearable. Everything, was bearable, but the pain in your heart.

"… " No voice left even though your brain commanded. 
Your head was silent. It wasn’t running. It was.. silent. 
Not a sound heard.

"I’m coming. " His last words. 
Last words indeed. 
And he wasn’t much a man of his words. 
“Liar. ” You spat out that four lettered word.

"You this, liar! " you growled, your hoarse and croaked voice left you feeling foreign. You never knew you had that voice… or rather, have you lost yourself already?

You bit your lips till you felt that familiar tang of metallic taste.

"Wh-why… " you sobbed.

You tasted your tears. Salty. 
Sorrowful. 
Just like the past.
Maybe not everything has changed.

This was the reason why you hated getting attached to something. 
You can’t stand when they leave you. 
That’s not how it works. 
Or at least; how you work. 
You always believed in forever. 
Just… this word barely comes true.

"Liar.. " You gave another sob. 
You pulled your legs closer to your chest and dropped your head on your arms which was draped across your knee caps. 
 

"Miss?? " Some voice. 
It was foreign. 
It was strange.
It was invading your crying space.

You refused to budge. 
You believed, yes, believed it was just in your head. 
Let it be. 
They would go away after some time. 
That’s how life works, you’re done with this!

"Miss?? " 
That voice again. 
That annoying voice. 
Just get the hell out of here! 
Can’t you see I’m hurt??

"Miss??"

THAT LIL.. F-

You shot your head up and glared at that figure before you. Your vision was blurred by your tears. 
When it settled, you couldn’t move.

"Miss? " That voice.. no longer bugs you anymore. 
You could appreciate it more. 
It sounded warm, and a little cheery. 
But.. the scene before you wasn’t all that cheery.

"Y-yes? " You couldn’t recognise your voice.
In comparison, you felt his voice was more familiar than your own.

"Ca-Can you help me? I’m .. urms.. sorry to disturb.. " He was looking embarrassed.
But he shouldn’t have.

He was lying on the floor. 
His legs looks lifeless. 
He wasn’t dashing or breathtaking at the first look, but it was pleasant looking. 
Those faces that.. makes you want to set your eyes on them for a longer time,… because it somehows pulls you in.

You scrambled up to your feet, and looking helpless.. 
You stared at his legs, then at his shoulders.. you didn’t know how to help.

He gave a hearty chuckle, it was warm, and absolutely touching your heart. For odd reasons.

"Here, Can you let me support myself on your shoulders? " He asked cautiously with his eyes glued on yours.

You couldn’t speak, you just nodded.

He struggled to balance, his other hand hook under his lifeless legs and swing them with his movement, his other hand tried to balance on your shoulder, he was also trying to not put too much weight. 
You assured him, by hooking your arms around his waist to support them, you used your strength to help him to his wheelchair.

It was a difficult struggle as both of you tried to balance. Sometimes, you tilted too much over at his side, and his shoulders crashed against the ground. Other times, he lost balance and leaned on you, sending you down on the ground. 
But, after much effort, both of you made it.

You gave a bright smile, and dusted your hands. 
He gave you a bright smile, “I like your smile. ” 
Your smile grew into a shocked, “O” Shaped. 
“Wh-what?! ” 
Those words; are wayyy too familiar. It made your heart ached. 

“I’m rarely wrong, “he dusted his shirt as he let a smile finds his face.

You couldn’t speak a word, he frowned at the awkwardness he has resulted, “I’m serious. You have a beautiful smile. Whoever caused you to cry had masked the beauty of your smile!! ” he exclaimed, a little aggressively at the end.

You remained silent, lips slightly apart, barely spoke anything. He glanced around the dumps, “Why…were you here crying? ” he looked into your eyes. “The dumps I mean, why would you be here? “, he hurriedly added, “I don’t mean to pry..or something. Its completely fine if you don’t wish to say. ” he kept his head slightly lowered, a little unsure if he has done or said the right thing.

You seemed to have found your voice as you mumbled, “Its okay. ” It sounded throaty and hoarse, it felt like evidence of your current vulnerability.

"I…" you gave a sigh as you took a glance at the surroundings, "I was… " you didn’t know why yourself.

"You were..? "he probed you. And you felt your tear glands being activated as your mind began to flood involuntarily all the painful memories.

He was silent for a while. Only when your crying has stopped for a while, he spoke softly, “You were waiting for him? ”

You did a gasp as you looked at him, “Superman? ” he asked gently.

"What? "

"You were waiting for superman, to lift you up?"

Again, you were left speechless. What is this man saying?! All you did was to cry, and you figured no one would find you here….but he did. This man before you found you. Were you waiting for him? Unknowingly?

You wiped your tears away as you mumbled, “You? ” an obvious change of subject.

He gave a hearty laugh, “I was being superman. ” You frowned, was he hitting on you with these cheesy words?

Before you could asked, he continued, ” A dog was hurt, and I wanted to help, but.. ” he glanced down at his wheelchair, “so I left my wheelchair and crawled to the dog with my handy first aid kit, ” he showed you his first aid kit. “But the dog ran away before I could fix him up, he just took away my beef jerky that I just bought, ” he gave a laugh, not the least bothered by his stolen beef. And that was something you felt strangely plesant about this young man. “And… I couldn’t managed to crawl because I accidentally pressed against a shard of glass, ” he showed you his palms, “but I fixed it up with my first aid kit… Still.. I didn’t think it was good to crawl back with this fresh wound. I didn’t know if anyone would pass by, I left my phone at my wheelchair. Then… ” he looks nervously at you,” I heard your cries..but you felt so sad, I couldn’t have asked you to help me… But it was getting late, so…I waited for some time before I called you out… ” he looks embarrassed.

You stood silent for a while as you let his words sink in. Then, you laughed, you laughed and laughed. You didn’t know if it wwas normal to laugh after you’ve cried, or was it normal to laugh at what he said. You didn’t know how he took in your laugh, but when you did found out; he replaced it with a smile, “Why…were you laughing? ” he asked, confused.

You smiled at him, “You, ” you paused, “You were waiting for superman, I mean superwoman to lift you up. ”

He pondered, and a bright smile soon spread across his face, he laughed, ” Yeah.. I guess I was, You’re my superwoman. ” he rubbed the back of his neck, shyly.

You smiled, and mumbled, “And you’re my superman. “

"Sorry? " he asked.

You waved your hands dismissively, and took the handles of his wheel chair from behind, “Let’s get out of this dumps, “the sentence has more than a meaning.

"I found my superman, " your heart spoke.