The Ragdoll

Spilled Ink

She took the doll in her hand, and with two fingers pinching each side to play with hands of the dolls. In a disguised voice, she playfully acted, “Hello there mummy, don’t be sad today. It’s a brand new day! I’m here to make you smile. ”

Afterwards, she let her hands relaxed, making as if her doll was slouching, she grew to chew her lips in a weird bitterness. 
She gave a sad smile to her doll. 
It was a rag doll with an obvious brown stain on the side of her skirt, the beaded eyes were slightly coming off as the strings that held it loosen. That rag doll carried a small tiny smile, and have two braids at the side. 
“Thank you sweetie, you’re the best to mummy! ” she murmured.

"Aren’t you too old to be playing with dolls? " 
Alan sniggered, as he set his bag down on the floor and casually peeking at her. Alan is her colleague that sits next to her, separated by that miserable metal partition. Sometimes, she would wish that partition would be as long as the Great Wall of China, or just let him move far away from her.

"Who’s old? " she snapped. 
She smiled sweetly at her rag doll as she set the doll down at the side of her table, glared at him while cracking her knuckles before scrolling through her emails.

"Sheesh, somebody woke up at the wrong side of the bed. "

The distinct scrolling sounds of the mouse stopped, he sensed she was shooting him another glare, and he always find it amusing.

"Mr Alan," she sacarstically pronouced his name, "You should learn to keep your comments to yourself. No one will be concerned with your words, or the very least wouldn’t wonder if you’re mute. So, "she heaved a tired sigh, "Just leave me alone. "


He frowned, his heart was feeling tad bit guilty. 
He carefully peered at her. 
She was typing away on her laptop replying to her emails, he spied her rag doll at the side.


That rag doll, he knows is important to her. 
The thing is, who would imagine the Assistant Director would be playing with dolls. 
Adults, were once children, were once rebellious teenagers. Yet, just like he was once feeling, its unfair to grow up without his “consent” . He hadn’t played enough, and he went with his playful character to make up for the ridiculous reality of growing up.

"Hey.. " he asked softly. 
“A.D….hey.. ”

She was ignoring him.


He left her alone for the rest of the day.

The next day, she gave another sigh as she stretched her stiff shoulders. She stopped at her tracks, …

Her rag doll had a fresh change of clothes, and a note was at the side. “Mummy, today will be a good day just like any other day. And, don’t forget you’re beautiful, and you’re once a child. Live life, like you’re here to meet happiness and not meet deadlines. ”


She glanced around. But eventually settling her eyes at her favourite doll. 
“Thankyou…” she picked up the doll and cheekily did a happy dance with her doll. 
Who’s to judge her?